fsck -y......

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
hadn't fsck -y ed the computer in a while and SJP's post made he think about it...so i decided to fsck -y my iMac....it wouldn't fsck -y....instead it said: Volume is journaled. so since i enabled journaling in the Terminal a while ago, does that mean i never need to fsck my computer again??? damn, i will miss that....g

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    That's right.

As long as the drive was is good condition (read: not damaged) before being journaled, then you will practically never need to run fsck again. Of course, you can *force* the fsck on journaled drives with another flag. I don't remember which one, but it's in the man pages.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Ummm... Sorry to be stupid but why do you need to fsck -y if you aren't journaled? (And why does journaling change that?)
  • Reply 3 of 7
    fsck is for "filesystem consistency check and interactive repair".

It repairs the disk when it becomes damaged. And, boy howdy, under Mac OS X your filesystem will eventually become damaged if you are a heavy user. Frankly, I'm not sure what to blame for it.

Journaling is a feature that was introduced in 10.2.2 that tracks disk reads/writes so that it can practically never become damaged. Therefore maintenance tools such as "fsck" are no longer necessary.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    but i want to fsck....it just sounds so dirty....g

go to bed brad, it is late on the east coast and growing boys need sleep if they want to get good grades in college....
  • Reply 5 of 7
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Oh come on... everyone knows NCSU students just sleep through classes anyway.

• Reply 6 of 7
    and that is why smart NCSU students have all their classes in the afternoon...but u already know that don't you kick...g
  • Reply 7 of 7
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    I didn't realize that X was that susceptible to file system damage.

Why does journaling help? I thought it kept track of changes, but didn't do anything to prevent bad things from happening. If it can prevent the file system from writing incorrect information (or correct information someplace it shouldn't) why can't they do that prevention without keeping track of the changes.