Wireless Router Like an AirPort Extreme?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I've always owned APE's, yet with the latest the price is a bit much. I'm looking for an alternative, Belkin, Linky, etc. What can someone here recommend?

I'm looking for something that will operate just like an APE, be Mac friendly and even have AP Utility think that it's an APE. For features I'd like 802.11n, 128bit encryption, USB for a printer or HDD access, and at least four gigabit ethernet ports. Is this Belkin a good choice? Mac friendly?

http://www.buy.com/prod/belkin-n-wir...209890760.html

Would it be just as fast and dependable as the new APE?

Other?

Thanks,

Tony

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tony1 View Post

... and even have AP Utility think that it's an APE.

That's the phrase that's gonna make this impossible for you.

All routers will play nice with Mac's once they're set up (and some are easier to set up than others.) But being recognized as an AirPort is a function of the firmware within the router. And only Apple hardware has Apple's firmware.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    tony1tony1 Posts: 259member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

That's the phrase that's gonna make this impossible for you.

All routers will play nice with Mac's once they're set up (and some are easier to set up than others.) But being recognized as an AirPort is a function of the firmware within the router. And only Apple hardware has Apple's firmware.

About a year ago I skimmed over someone's thread, somewhere, that said that his non-Apple router was controlled through AP Utility, thus my assumption on it being somewhat common. Thanks for the note.