More of Apple's Snow Leopard caught on camera

Posted:
in macOS edited April 2014
With Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard entering the final stretch of development, overzealous Apple advocates are turning to discussion boards and file sharing websites to show off image and video captures taken from the next generation OS, most recently highlighting features such as simplified security preferences, enhanced searching, QuickTime X's screen recording function and a new version of Image Capture.

On Monday, attention was drawn to a YouTube user's webpage brandishing over a half dozen Snow Leopard demonstration videos, five of which were subsequently removed by the user while another was yanked from the video sharing website after Apple waged a copyright claim. Since then, readers have pointed to a long-running thread over at the French-language MacGeneration website that's serving as yet another forum offering Snow Leopard-related discussion illustrated by numerous screenshots and videos.

QuickTime X Screen Recording

Readers are free to navigate the thread on their own, though AppleInsider has extracted a handful images showing off some features that have received limited coverage in the past or haven't been represented fully in imagery, such as the recently-reported screen recording options due to arrive as part of QuickTime X Player 1.0. Portions of the native recording interface can be seen in the alert below, which initiates a screen capture session and directs the user to a menu bar option to end a session.

Once a user has concluded a Screen Recording session, the following interface and options provide a means of saving and exporting movies files in different sizes and formats.

QuickTime X also offers options for publishing supported movie files to iTunes in one of three pre-set sizes. From iTunes, they can be synced with an iPhone, iPod, or Apple TV:

New Image Capture App

Also worth noting is that Image Capture has grown as an application to adopt a user interface that is more like iTunes and the Finder, with a sidebar for devices, main window for file info and a thin row of controls lining the bottom of the application.

Universal Keyboard Shortcuts

Preference panes are also showing a convergence of UI as shown in this screenshot of the new Keyboard & Mouse preference pane:

Advanced Security Options

As always, Apple takes Security seriously. At the same time, it doesn't want to intimidate less savvy users from taking advantage of all the Mac has to offer. The below example demonstrates a simplified and easy to manage option that helps keep users safe while on the net.

Chinese Handwriting Recognition

With the private release of the most recent Snow Leopard beta, Apple also informed developers about the addition of Chinese handwriting recognition support for Macs that include a multi-touch trackpad. Similar software was added to iPhone Software 2.0 a year ago, allowing users to draw Chinese symbols on their handset's touchscreen and then select matching symbols suggested by the iPhone Software. This feature can be seen in action for the first time in the below YouTube video:

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard is expected to hit the market sometime this summer with a near finalized version now confirmed to make an appearance at Apple's annual developers conference during the second week of June.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 68
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    I'm not sure I like the fact Quicktime is the only program with a black bar.
  • Reply 2 of 68
    rokkenrokken Posts: 236member
    I really like the current look of Quicktime. I hope it's either not final and will reverse back, or Apple keeps the current look as an option (though I doubt they will).
  • Reply 3 of 68
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    OK, here's something I wish they'd "fix"... If you've ever entered Screen Sharing in iChat, you'd notice that these little 'invite' screens and 'confirmation' screens pop up outside the main app window and they REMAIN once the session has been broken. Why in the blue blazes they don't simply keep these extra buttons on the main interface is completely bewildering to me. Let's clean this junk up, Apple.
  • Reply 4 of 68
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    OK, Apple REALLY needs to stick with a consistent UI scheme. Having different skins for everything makes it seem non-cohesive or whatever.. would you all agree?
  • Reply 5 of 68
    I quite like the new look of QuickTime... and who knows, it might be a small clue as to an overall UI overhaul for Snow Leopard...
  • Reply 6 of 68
    medium file size compression shows an apple tv and then something behind it.

is that a television to go with the apple tv, or is it the larger tablet we keep hearing about?
  • Reply 7 of 68
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hypoluxa View Post

OK, Apple REALLY needs to stick with a consistent UI scheme. Having different skins for everything makes it seem non-cohesive or whatever.. would you all agree?

We're looking at older versions of SL that are being leaked. We have no idea what Apple intends to implement for a system wide UI theme, and, indeed, they are likely to be holding back on that for this very reason (leaks).
  • Reply 8 of 68
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokken View Post

I really like the current look of Quicktime.

I prefer it, the current look. Same here. Give it to Apple to make the general UI for the newer OS even more convoluted and ridiculous.
  • Reply 9 of 68
    johnnykrzjohnnykrz Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadisawesome View Post

is that a television to go with the apple tv, or is it the larger tablet we keep hearing about?

It definitely looks like an Apple product, so is it just good icon design or something else? Usually, you just see the AppleTV by itself in graphics/icons. Someone better fan this flame quick and start spreading the rumors.
  • Reply 10 of 68
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    The screen capture is not nearly as good as ScreenFlow, though they do make it function from the Menu Bar like SF, even though they don?t show the image in the article. The frame rates are less which makes the video choppier, there is no simultaneous recording via the iSight camera, audio wouldn?t work from any source (though that will obvious change) and the editing features after the fact are weak. On top of that, the encoding in QTX is very slow. This is the only app that seems to be lagging far behind the rest in SL, but things will definitely improve, even though 3rd-party solutions may still be better. I say just buy ScreenFlow and integrate it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadisawesome View Post

That is just a very simple display behind it, nothing more. They make the other 3 devices and not TVs so they when with basic over using an actual TV image.
  • Reply 11 of 68
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsNly View Post

I'm not sure I like the fact Quicktime is the only program with a black bar.

I'm beginning to think that it is the new color for the menu bar which I like. It would go well with paler blues and gray. Very mininalistic and subdued.
  • Reply 12 of 68
    jaketherockjaketherock Posts: 286member
    I kind of feel sorry now for all the devs who've put so much time into writing screen recording apps for OSX. I mean, it's something that i've felt should have been built in since i was an 8 year old using OS 9.. but, for the most part, this kills alot of products by alot of developers.
  • Reply 13 of 68
    daniel001daniel001 Posts: 56member
    I'm sure opinions on this will differ, but I hate the new shiny title bar?it looks like it's from Windows Vista.
  • Reply 14 of 68
    jaketherockjaketherock Posts: 286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hypoluxa View Post

As long as the rest of the OS gets it, i won't mind an interface overhaul.
  • Reply 15 of 68
    stormchildstormchild Posts: 104member
    Note to people making videos: Leave your crappy songs out of it. Nobody wants to hear them.
  • Reply 16 of 68
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

We're looking at older versions of SL that are being leaked. We have no idea what Apple intends to implement for a system wide UI theme, and, indeed, they are likely to be holding back on that for this very reason (leaks).

True...I guess it's still possible they may do away with Aqua blue scroll bars and have the pale blue ones used in iTunes.
  • Reply 17 of 68
    surfratsurfrat Posts: 341member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post

Note to people making videos: Leave your crappy songs out of it. Nobody wants to hear them.

+1
  • Reply 18 of 68
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JakeTheRock View Post

As long as the rest of the OS gets it, i won't mind an interface overhaul.

I would agree with you there.
  • Reply 19 of 68
    eseldormeseldorm Posts: 3member

-

• Reply 20 of 68
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    The more I see, the more I like.