Workers push Apple to end iPhone supplier's exploitation

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Seizing a chance to grab the spotlight, workers at one of the key suppliers for iPhone touchscreens have taken their cause directly to Apple itself in hopes of halting what they see as abusive and illegal working conditions.

Taiwan's National Federation of Independent Trade Unions (NFITU) and other area labor groups protested in front of Apple's Taipei offices on Thursday to have the American company change Wintek's mind on alleged but potentially controversial labor practices.

According to the Global Post, workers at the demonstration held MacBook Pros showing the word "responsibility" and detailed a litany of claimed abuses by Wintek. The company reportedly fired 600 workers in December without giving advance notice while simultaneously cutting the pay of remaining workers and forcing them to work unpaid overtime to fulfill "rush" orders -- though whether any of these were for Apple isn't stated.

Moreover, the company's operations in mainland China are characterized as more neglectful still. In Dongguan, Wintek is accused both of impromptu pay cuts like those at its Taiwanese headquarters as well as of of maintaining poor working conditions and retaliating against those who complain. It illegally dismissed 19 employees after they protested circumstances just a month ago, the unions claim. Many at the Taipei protest wore masks to prevent being identified and fired as punishment.

NFITU and the supporting groups said they took to protesting in front of Apple's offices after months of failed attempts to earn concessions from Wintek directly.

Defending itself, Wintek tried to put the burden on Apple by insisting that it has not only obeyed regional labor laws but that it has been following the code of conduct given to it as a supplier. On a practical level, spokeswoman Susie Lee said the firm had no choice but to cut pay and lay off workers in the midst of a worldwide economic slump. Workers who were let go were allegedly given compensation packages, and those complaining are only trying to "harm Wintek's reputation," Lee said. They may also be threatened with legal action.

Former workers, some of whom were at the protest, have already turned this argument on its head and have argued that Wintek ought to rehire now that the economy, and the company, have started recovering from the financial crash.

The complaint about Wintek isn't the first Apple has faced in China, where companies are regularly accused of overworking their staff or otherwise treating most factory employees poorly. One of Apple's other key suppliers, Foxconn, was criticized for sub-par worker dormitories, requiring excessive overtime and subjecting employees to a confusing pay structure as well as harsh discipline. Under pressure from the media, Apple eventually audited Foxconn and mandated improved standards, some of which were supposedly underway before the audits began.

Apple appears to be reacting in similar fashion to the newest charges. Although the iPhone maker said it doesn't comment on its internal supplier relationships, spokeswoman Jill Tan made clear that Apple regularly audits all of its suppliers and that it would force any contractor to take "corrective actions" if they were found breaching Apple's code of conduct.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 86
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    To me this is so more more important to rectify than creating an environmentally friendly Al Gore Mac. Saving the environment on the back of slave labor is disgusting.
  • Reply 2 of 86
    bhoughtonbhoughton Posts: 15member
    Don't get me wrong, this sounds like a horrible situation, but there is always two sides to any story.

Were these people being held hostage when working for "free" during overtime? Was there a gun to their head?

I'm sure they'd like you to believe that.

If it was me and I just witnessed a large percentage of coworkers laid off, yet I was still employed by the same company, I would work extra hard out of gratitude for even having a job still. They can't be hurting that bad financially if they all (or most) were holding MBP's.
  • Reply 3 of 86
    Taiwan is a surprise, but it's no secret that china has the worst labor and rights abuse reputation, right up there with Saudi Arabia.

I have always had issue with the fact we created numerous incentives for businesses to take their manufacturing overseas, thus dumbing down our own populous, as we had no incentive to fill those positions, and also killing our GNP due to having no manufacturing within our own borders.

And let's not forget the taxes are paid to the host countries, therefore we lose out on that revenue as well.......

But we, as consumers are also at fault, since we voraciously consume these products, which in turn makes them feel justified in these practices in order to sate our appetites and their own slave labour subsidized pockets.
  • Reply 4 of 86
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Give them all free iPods. Problem solved.*

*In all seriousness, I'm quite sure Apple will do something about this, not jut for PR's sake but in terms of ethics and the general push to improve working conditions. Although the economy being what it is, Apple is only partially responsible here.
  • Reply 5 of 86
    jsmithjsmith Posts: 16member
    > Were these people being held hostage when working for "free"

> during overtime? Was there a gun to their head?

Would you consider being under the threat of being fired as being held hostage? No one would dare say "no" because they know their job is at risk if they do so. China/Taiwan and such places don't have the nice friendly labour rules of North America/Europe. There are reasons why labour is cheap there and this is one of them.
  • Reply 6 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsmith View Post

> were these people being held hostage when working for "free"

> during overtime? Was there a gun to their head?

Would you consider being under the threat of being fired as being held hostage? No one would dare say "no" because they know their job is at risk if they do so. China/taiwan and such places don't have the nice friendly labour rules of north america/europe. There are reasons why labour is cheap there and this is one of them.

exactly
  • Reply 7 of 86
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

To me this is so more more important to rectify than creating an environmentally friendly Al Gore Mac. Saving the environment on the back of slave labor is disgusting.

How are those two important causes mutually exclusive?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BHoughton View Post

Were these people being held hostage when working for "free" during overtime? Was there a gun to their head?

Starvation for your family, loss of your home, or being forced into even more illegal and life-threatening work are possible consequences of being fired--for refusing to work without pay, or for complaining, or whatever.

There are many kinds of gun. And there are many unfair practices other than outright murder. If the law was broken, something should change.

Never assume the corporation is the one in the right--not in the U.S., and not in China either. An investigation/audit is called for. Don't worry that the poor defenseless Chinese companies will suffer for crimes they did not commit, if that's the outcome of the investigation.
  • Reply 8 of 86
    orion123orion123 Posts: 3member
    Quote:

If it was me and I just witnessed a large percentage of coworkers laid off, yet I was still employed by the same company, I would work extra hard out of gratitude for even having a job still.

Wow, that's disturbing. THANK YOU MASTER FOR YOUR GRACIOUSNESS

You should move there if that's your ideal of an employer
  • Reply 9 of 86
    citycity Posts: 522member
    Quote:

Don't get me wrong, this sounds like a horrible situation, but there is always two sides to any story.

I'm sure they'd like you to believe that.

If it was me and I just witnessed a large percentage of coworkers laid off, yet I was still employed by the same company, I would work extra hard out of gratitude for even having a job still. They can't be hurting that bad financially if they all (or most) were holding MBP's.

So the boss might say we are going to fire 10% more. No one can afford to get fired. They literally need the job to survive and maybe to help relatives. They can't find other work. They keep quiet, work faster, stay later and skip lunch breaks because they don't want to be part of the 10%. It doesn't seem fair to me when someone has so much at stake. This is happening in the United States with public and private jobs, both large and small businesses where people have rights and can sue. They are brave to protest in Taiwan.
  • Reply 10 of 86
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    I'm really sick of having everything made in China. Apple is a US company. I think their products should be made in the US. Let China develop their own brands and design their own products, like Japan does. China's contract industries have a really bad reputation for cheating and underhanded business practices. And I certainly don't trust their government.

I have several Chinese friends here in the US and many of them say the same thing about China.

But the blame isn't all theirs. The greed of many US corporations has forced everyone to send manufacturing jobs to China in order to stay competitive. It is a downward spiral that will be difficult to reverse.
  • Reply 11 of 86
    801801 Posts: 271member
    Look at all the stuff you have purchased in the last several years. It's all made like that. Look at all the crap you have accumulated, and think on the place and way it was made "in china". This case just points out the very best of the manufacturing culture done overseas.

Ever been to a Chinese factory? I have. Ever been to a Mexican Maquiladora? Plenty.

The crap you enjoy is made in someone else's misery.

Go see.
  • Reply 12 of 86
    bhoughtonbhoughton Posts: 15member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by orion123 View Post

Wow, that's disturbing. THANK YOU MASTER FOR YOUR GRACIOUSNESS

You should move there if that's your ideal of an employer

I didn't say that is my "ideal" employer. I'm pointing out that they can quit. Yes, there will be repercussions to that decision, but they still have a choice. I'm sorry that the world isn't all soft and fuzzy like you would like it to be, but this is reality. I'm not saying that it's right. I'm just saying that they can change their surroundings.

I like that you completely ignored the rest of my comment as well regarding them having MBP's at their protest. They must live in shacks with dirt floors and charge their MBP's through black magic.

That was the point.
  • Reply 13 of 86
    fraklincfraklinc Posts: 244member
    So what really are they looking for? Do they want Apple to take the contract away from Wintek and leave them all Jobless, i mean what can Apple do. It's a sad story and i hope i never have to face something like it, but if you don't like your work place, the best thing is to look some place else.
  • Reply 14 of 86
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 801 View Post

Look at all the stuff you have purchased in the last several years. It's all made like that. Look at all the crap you have accumulated, and think on the place and way it was made "in china". This case just points out the very best of the manufacturing culture done overseas.

Ever been to a Chinese factory? I have. Ever been to a Mexican Maquiladora? Plenty.

Go see.

it's not so simple as you say

yet it is simple

is it not ?

china first killed whole Usa industries by subsidizing there plants

while we slept or even helped them

it's not just labor costs

its worker rights we have in the Usa that the chinese don't and never will have

These poor workers stole our jobs .

It's not right to abuse them .. But how can they compete without cheating ??

we should make the apple stuff here in the Usa
  • Reply 15 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I'm really sick of having everything made in China. Apple is a US company. I think their products should be made in the US. Let China develop their own brands and design their own products, like Japan does.

Yeah,when china does what Japand did, Lee Iaccoca will raise from his grave and tell everyone to Buy American. Maybe American should never have started globalization.

At least Apple hasnt moved to the Cayman Islands.
  • Reply 16 of 86
    fraklincfraklinc Posts: 244member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 801 View Post

Go see.

Welcome to the real world my friend. If Bill gates takes all his billions and make about 50 thousand people all millionaires, theirs a 95% chance in a years all of them will be at square 1 and he will became a billionaire again.
  • Reply 17 of 86
    tonkintonkin Posts: 42member
    U.S. Corporations sought-out cheap labor to make more money for their investors. That's why the U.S. makes nothing.

The consumers (deaf, dumb, and blind) buy what's cheap and do not, for a moment, consider where "IT" was made, or how poor a life the assembler may have.

When "IT" breaks, or when the buyer has to deal with off-shored support, the tinker-toy structure of our economy begins to emerge.

Greedy at the top in every nation get rich. In the US, we get snazzy pablum with touch-screens. IN Taiwan and the PRC, they get screwed and pissed.
  • Reply 18 of 86
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:

Former workers, some of whom were at the protest, have already turned this argument on its head and have argued that Wintek ought to rehire now that the economy, and the company, have started recovering from the financial crash.

"The food at this restaurant is horrible! And the portions are so small!"
  • Reply 19 of 86
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I'm really sick of having everything made in China. Apple is a US company. I think their products should be made in the US. Let China develop their own brands and design their own products, like Japan does. China's contract industries have a really bad reputation for cheating and underhanded business practices. And I certainly don't trust their government.

I have several Chinese friends here in the US and many of them say the same thing about China.

But the blame isn't all theirs. The greed of many US corporations has forced everyone to send manufacturing jobs to China in order to stay competitive. It is a downward spiral that will be difficult to reverse.

What is the deal with anti-business sentiment that regularly creeps into these discussions. Businesses deal in the real world where "competition" exists. Many times low cost is the deciding factor when it comes to another company choosing which Chinese supplier will get their business. How does greed come into it? Business is typically not a personal thing, it is driven by numbers (dollars and profits). If you cannot compete, you cannot profit, you cannot employ workers to aid in the manufacturing process, and you cannot survive. It's very, very simple. If cost was suddenly not an issue with customers, they would give their business to anyone. That never happens.
  • Reply 20 of 86
    retroneoretroneo Posts: 240member
    Look what happens when Steve's gone...