iPhone 3G discontinued in Oz as report backs third-gen rumors

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
One of Apple's authorized wireless carriers said this week that the high-end iPhone 3G has been end-of-lifed. Meanwhile, a new report appears to be backing rumors of several features due in next-gen models expected to arrive shortly.

MacTalk is reporting that Vodafone Australia -- one of three iPhone providers in the region -- sent out an advisor (below) to its retail staffers this week noting that the 16GB iPhone 3G has been marked as “End of Life” (or discontinued) by its distributor Brightpoint.

"We have just been notified that the following devices are End Of Life and that there is only a few weeks stock available from Brightpoint," the carrier said, adding that Nokia's 6121 is also on the way out. "This is an opportunity to take advantage of these devices whilst they're still available."

Meanwhile, Apple blogger John Gruber on Thursday weighed in with his expectations for the upcoming generation of iPhones, in which he cited sources who essentially corroborate most of the recent rumors surrounding the new models.

First and foremost, he backs a report first discovered by AppleInsider on a Chinese mobile forum in which an insider claimed that this year's iPhones will see their processor upgraded from 400MHz to 600MHz, have their RAM doubled to 256MB, and sport little if any exterior changes.

Also accurate, according to Gruber's sources, are plans for the handsets to include a magnetometer (digital compass), higher-resolution camera with auto focus and video recording, as well as software for basic video editing (trimming).

Per expectations, he believes the 8GB offering will fade away in favor of new 16GB and 32GB models that will be offered at the existing $199 and $299 price points with a two-year AT&T service contract.

Gruber also threw out some less reliable rumors he's heard, such as Apple rebranding all of its aluminum MacBooks as MacBook Pros, leaving the "MacBook" moniker for only its plastic models. He also claims to have picked up on some chatter about an "iPhone Mini” about 3/4ths the size of the current iPhone.

AppleInsider isn't sure what to make of these last couple of rumors but publishes them for interest's sake.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 68
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Rebranding aluminum MacBook: MacBook Pro without a firewire port? I have my doubts. Unless they decide to bring back the firewire port.
  • Reply 2 of 68
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Rebranding aluminum MacBook: MacBook Pro without a firewire port? I have my doubts. Unless they decide to bring back the firewire port.

It's more than that. The graphics subsystem is different. The displays are of inferior quality. Rumor doesn't make sense but stranger things have happened...

K
  • Reply 3 of 68
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    what I love is that it is highly possible that all these carriers signed a contract to keep their mouths shut about what they are told and yet they are leaking things left and right. some of them may find (assuming any of this to be true and I think in this case it could be more true than false) their contracts being cut for breach and someone else getting the gold. oops.
  • Reply 4 of 68
    merdheadmerdhead Posts: 587member
    So much guff lately that falls into the category of the "bleedingly obvious". Apple has said that they would refresh the iPhone once a year around June, so not suprising it's being EOL'ed. They bought a company that designs low power processors and then its somehow news that they might actually be producing them and using them in their products. Updates to hardware and software that bring iPhones up to date with every other high end phone on the market.

Next news flash: "New iPhone to Make Calls!"

People who follow Apple and iPhones should get out more.
  • Reply 5 of 68
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

It's more than that. The graphics subsystem is different. The displays are of inferior quality. Rumor doesn't make sense but stranger things have happened...

K

There is some evidence that Apple has starting using much better, MBA-like panels in MB?s over the last month. They are using a different model number that doesn?t match the current MBA but the anecdotal evidence is that when compared to the MBA they are indistinguishable and when compared to the older unibody MBs obviously better.

If Apple decides to go the route of the 17? MBP by removing the battery and HDD panel they could increase the battery size while also allowing for more ports along the left edge of the machine. I would think that at least a FW800 and another USB port could added.

if they made me happy and removed the optical drive they could easily add a discrete GPU, but that is just a pipe dream i can?t shake.
  • Reply 6 of 68
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:

Maybe the next aluminum MacBook upgrade gets "pro" improvements, with no change in pricing or CPU. And because of the recession and the education market, maybe new white MacBook models are released at $899 (slower) and $1099 (faster).
  • Reply 7 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

K

Yes, small technical differences that are only interest to niche customers make a huge difference to most people.

I know you're a genius, but most people look at the fact that one MacBook has a metal case and conclude it must be a pro. Unless you think they're all digging up the specs of each machine and actually know that Intel graphics are integrated and the others are discrete and understand that the integrated ones tend to be slower, or they can tell the difference between screens outside of a controlled environment.
  • Reply 8 of 68
    Quote:

You're right. There's actually a law in California saying you're not allowed to name your laptops "Pro" unless they have a FireWire port.
  • Reply 9 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

Maybe the next aluminum MacBook upgrade gets "pro" improvements, with no change in pricing or CPU. And because of the recession and the education market, maybe new white MacBook models are released at $899 (slower) and $1099 (faster).

The main difference in Pro models is the price.
  • Reply 10 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

...maybe new white MacBook models are released at $899 (slower) and $1099 (faster).

You have to call them better and best because people are fooled by such silly marketing terms.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

You're right. There's actually a law in California saying you're not allowed to name your laptops "Pro" unless they have a FireWire port.

• Reply 11 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

The main difference in Pro models is the price.

The change in naming would allow Apple to advertise that MacBook Pros start at $1299, instead of the current $1999.

That would sound relatively cheap for a "pro."
  • Reply 12 of 68
    fairlyfairly Posts: 102member
    Slash Lane - that's a great name, Dilbert! LMAO
  • Reply 13 of 68
    dizzy13dizzy13 Posts: 67member
    One thing gruber wasn't betting highly on was improved battery life, but I have to disagree on that one. Apple is very concerned about battery life, the whole reason for them working on this push system. Also, the new MacBook Pro has the non removable battery which gives about 1.5 times the battery life.

I would expect the iPhone battery life to be improved by at least 1.5x by either a better battery or through less power demanding chips and screen...or both. Here's to hoping!
  • Reply 14 of 68
    ? take this stuff way to seriouly. Other than being fun to speculate, this stuff is really not very important.
  • Reply 15 of 68
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Apparantly T-Mobile in Austria had a mysterious placeholder on their website for an iPhone 32GB...

...just as mysteriously it disappeared again a short while later.
  • Reply 16 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orangeoutsider View Post

… take this stuff way to seriouly. Other than being fun to speculate, this stuff is really not very important.

True, but it's quite possible that Apple itself is leaking information to drown out Pre buzz.

Speed on par with and more memory than any Pre. Video, compass - things Pre doesn't have yet (as far as I was told by a Pre fanatic).
  • Reply 17 of 68
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    If true, it's all good!
  • Reply 18 of 68
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There is some evidence that Apple has starting using much better, MBA-like panels in MB?s over the last month. They are using a different model number that doesn?t match the current MBA but the anecdotal evidence is that when compared to the MBA they are indistinguishable and when compared to the older unibody MBs obviously better.

NO way Apple would have made that change unannounced. More rumour than evidence.

Link please- who's eyes?
  • Reply 19 of 68
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    Hmm, this may get confusing the 3G iPhone versus the 3G iPhone, where one refers to GSM 3G and the other to the third generation iPhone. I suppose something to watch out for in advertising media.
  • Reply 20 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajmas View Post

Hmm, this may get confusing the 3G iPhone versus the 3G iPhone, where one refers to GSM 3G and the other to the third generation iPhone. I suppose something to watch out for in advertising media.

There is speculation on this. The best guess I've heard is iPhone Video, since it will have a video recorder, better camera and most likely the ability to play and output 720p video.