A glimpse at Snow Leopard's more subtle refinements

Posted:
in macOS edited September 2019
While many of the changes present in betas of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard have been discussed at length by Apple followers, one tester has taken to the web with observations on some of the more subtle refinements spread through the most recent build of the next-gen operating system.

AppleInsider reader inewton1974 pointed us to an annotated Flickr album of nearly four dozen Snow Leopard screenshots he published a bit earlier in the week. He begins by noting that the software's setup assistant will now warn users if they don't supply a password hint and claims that QuickLook capabilities have been built into universal Open and Save dialog windows.

Another interesting discovery is Apple's use of transition effects within the new Cocoa-based Finder. In particular, the Clean Up command for tidying Finder windows reportedly "slides" icons into place instead of shifting them abruptly. This is described as a "a neat visual effect," and several others similar to it are likely to follow. The Finder also present an slider control for resizing icons in the lower right-hand corner of windows displayed in icon mode, as can be seen in the first screenshot below.

Additionally, it's noted that a QuickTime preference pane is absent from Snow Leopard, as are any preferences from within the QuickTime X Player itself, leading to renewed speculation that Apple may do away with its premium QuickTime Pro offering entirely. A series of screenshots with inewton1974's observations follows:

Snow Leopard

Updates to the Date & Time preference pane will let Snow Leopard users display the time and date (or day of the week) side-by-side in the Mac OS X menubar:

Snow Leopard

Time Zone preferences have also seen an overhaul. Each time zone is highlighted as a user moves their mouse cursor across the map. And as previously note, users will have the option to have their time zone updated automatically with help of Snow Leopard's new Core Location framework.

Snow Leopard

Users who prefer not to have their Mac's location identified via Core Location can switch the option off via the general security preferences. The same preference pane also introduce a handy new feature that will let users adjust the time interval between when their Mac goes to sleep (or activates a screen saver) and when their password will be required to regain access.

For instance, you could set your screen to dim after 10 minutes of inactivity but not lock down the system and require a password prompt for 45 minutes. In current versions of the Mac OS, there's no separation of these features.

Snow Leopard

iCal now has account preferences for adding Microsoft Exchange accounts, per Apple's plans to build support for the messaging software into Mac OS X as it has done on the iPhone.

Snow Leopard

Similarly, Address Book new Account preferences for syncing contacts with Exchange, Mobile Me, Yahoo and Google services.

Snow Leopard

Scanner Sharing appears to be a new option in Snow Leopard's Sharing preference pane:

Snow Leopard

If you don't have a mouse connected to your Mac and then launch the new Mouse preference pane, Snow Leopard will begin searching for a wireless one:

Snow Leopard

Below is a capture of QuickTime X Player's HUDless movie playback presentation:

Snow Leopard

The new Player software will also let users upload movie files to YouTube or their Mobile Me accounts:

Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard

The same software also provides both basic video and audio editing (trimming):

Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard

In Snow Leopard, Software Update's "Installed Updates" tab has been renamed "Installed Software," possibly foreshadowing a move by Apple to provide new software downloads via the built-in mechanism rather than just updates:

Snow Leopard

A handful of changes are also in store for Snow Leopards Preferences, namely a separation of the Keyboard & Mouse preferences, a relocation of Bluetooth preferences from "Hardware" to a new section called "Internet & Wireless," and a renaming of the "International" preferences to "Language & Text."

Snow Leopard

This new "Language and Text" preference pane paves the way for the previously reported global text substitution feature and setting individual input sources for each document that's open:

Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard

Split Terminal options also appear to be new:

Snow Leopard

Automator's welcome dialog has been re-tooled. Instead of picking the kind of task to perform as a template, users now choose what kind of workflow they want to make. An option to create a system "Service" also stands out:

Snow Leopard

Preview preferences have been overhauled:

Snow Leopard

Firewall preferences exist for automatically allowing signed software to receive incoming connections:

Snow Leopard

QuickLook video previews also work in Snow Leopard Get Info dialogs:

Snow Leopard

And finally, here's a screenshot showing a short list of applications included with the latest Snow Leopard distributions that have not seen the transition to 64-bit:

Snow Leopard

Comments

• Reply 1 of 179
    slang4artslang4art Posts: 376member
    All very interesting. I still want to feel how fast Snow Leopard actually runs on my first gen Mac Pro though. Any chance of notable improvement?
  • Reply 2 of 179
    roos24roos24 Posts: 170member
    I would be interested to know if Apple addressed the glitches with the 12/24h clock format in iCal and iPhoto in Snow Leopard. These are extremely annoying in the current OS.
  • Reply 3 of 179
    macfandavemacfandave Posts: 603member
    The split terminal reminds me of a feature I have been wanting for a long time: the split Finder Window.

Whenever I want to move files, I have to open up a second Finder window and navigate to the destination folder. I have to position this window carefully so I can see the file in the first window I want to move/copy.

It would be so cool if you can split one Finder window into an upper and lower pane where each pane is individually navigable. (It could be left/right in icon view, if the user prefers).

I'm hoping Snow Leopard will let you decide what columns are available for viewing when Spotlight results are shown. For instance, I like to look at file sizes to see which movies are in the large format and which are compressed, smaller ones.
  • Reply 4 of 179
    hezekiahbhezekiahb Posts: 448member
    The "Installed Software" might also be a hint at some sort of uninstaller built into OS X?

I suspect that many apps listed there as not yet 64-bit probably were ones that don't really benefit from being switched over. Why completely rewrite everything all at once unless the need is there.
  • Reply 5 of 179
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    I can already display the day of the week in the menu bar. All versions of OS X and most versions of Classic OS did that. The new feature would be displaying the date next to the time.

Also, I can preview videos in the Get Info window. That is not new.
  • Reply 6 of 179
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    It would be weird to tell your friends you were working on the effects for the Time Zone preference pane. Or hoping to be promoted to that team...

Thanks AI, interesting stuff. I'll be happy to see QT Pro stuff included with the OS. I wonder about other paid components, like MPEG-2.
  • Reply 7 of 179
    johnnykrzjohnnykrz Posts: 152member
    What I'd rather see is Finder tabs. It seems like such an easy and obvious implementation. You could navigate to a folder, command-click (or double-click) or command-T (or whatever), to open it in a new tab OR you could simply command-T for a new tab and start navigating, then go back to the other tab where you have the file for transfer, then drop it on the other tab or hold over the other tab to switch. This would be nice.

Quote:

All very interesting. I still want to feel how fast Snow Leopard actually runs on my first gen Mac Pro though. Any chance of notable improvement?

I want to know this too. Any real noticeable improvement?

I'm surprised that so few apps look like they are 64-bit at this point. You'd think most of the apps would have been updated by now.
  • Reply 7 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezekiahb View Post

The "Installed Software" might also be a hint at some sort of uninstaller built into OS X?

Doubtful and unnecessary. Drag the App to the trash and it is uninstalled. If you want to go further, go to your Library folder and trash the pref files in Preferences and Application Support (if any present). You don't need an uninstaller like Windows does.
  • Reply 9 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JohnnyKrz View Post

I'm surprised that so few apps look like they are 64-bit at this point. You'd think most of the apps would have been updated by now.

Why waste time with that? Do you really need 64-bit versions of TextEdit, Address Book, Calculator, etc?
  • Reply 10 of 179
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

The split terminal reminds me of a feature I have been wanting for a long time: the split Finder Window.

Whenever I want to move files, I have to open up a second Finder window and navigate to the destination folder. I have to position this window carefully so I can see the file in the first window I want to move/copy.

It would be so cool if you can split one Finder window into an upper and lower pane where each pane is individually navigable. (It could be left/right in icon view, if the user prefers).

I'm hoping Snow Leopard will let you decide what columns are available for viewing when Spotlight results are shown. For instance, I like to look at file sizes to see which movies are in the large format and which are compressed, smaller ones.

This is part of the old debate about spatial navigation vs. browser/file-tree navigation.

This is interesting:

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/01q2/...macos-x-9.html

http://www.bytebot.net/geekdocs/spatial-nautilus.html

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/swi...tializing.html

http://markmail.org/message/g5r2ghqk5hft455z

http://daringfireball.net/2002/11/that_finder_thing
  • Reply 11 of 179
    Seeing change in date & time - I wonder if they've improved the timekeeping? A while ago the 'set time now' went away, and the current logic is the hidden mystery logic that has your computer "Check with the timeserver as often as you need to in order to keep decent time". In 10.4.11 this doesn't really work, as my computer was way off in timekeeping (almost a full minute off). Not sure if 10.5 keeps better time, but with the other date & time changes in 10.6, I'm curious if they've made the mac a better clock...
  • Reply 12 of 179
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    They've finally got rid of the FUGLY recycled paper folders of Leopard and have gone back to their Jaguar transluscent roots. Thank you , thank you.

Many may think these look like Vista but we are back to the jellies.
  • Reply 13 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

This new "Language and Text" preference pane paves the way for the previously reported global text substitution feature and setting individual input sources for each document that's open

I still think that this will only be useful if there is either a context menu item for defining options, or a very large list of already-defined options, (like in MS word). I don't want to have to open system preferences whenever I want to add something.
  • Reply 14 of 179
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Although I applaud the screen/audio record function of Snow Leopard, it won't most likely be available for copyrighted material.

I'm a believer in fair use, if you buy a movie you should be allowed to alter it and show others, long as your not denying the copyright holder of returns on their investment.

People have done some funny things, like this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5blbv4WFriM

So with that, if Apple denies copyright screen recording, then that delegates software like SnapzProX to being only needed for illegal purposes, instead of dual use (legal and illegal)

Sort of like a baseball bat, take away the game of baseball and the only thing a baseball bat is good for is no good. (why would you need such a heavy club for anyway? right?)

So I'm wondering now that Apple will be essentially controlling the screen/audio recording on OS X with their own product, will this open the door for the MIAA/RIAA to go after third party OS X companies that offer a total recording package?

Its like Apple is stepping into these grey areas in order to police things, deny cool third party companies a income source. First Time Machine to thwart people from cloning their boot drives (the best boot drive backup method), now screen/audio recording to thwart people from making funny alterations to popular videos.

Where will this slow creep of control end?
  • Reply 15 of 179
    wayfarerwayfarer Posts: 21member
    Looks like a successful work in progress. I can't wait to see Snow Leopard's alleged new marble interface!
  • Reply 16 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

They've finally got rid of the FUGLY recycled paper folders of Leopard and have gone back to their Jaguar transluscent roots. Thank you , thank you.

Many may think these look like Vista but we are back to the jellies.

What do you mean?

Leopard looks exactly the same as SL does in the picture...

• Reply 17 of 179
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JakeTheRock View Post

What do you mean?

Leopard looks exactly the same as SL does in the picture...

Look very closely at an actual Leopard folder and you will see recycled specles in the forlder blue itself. Maybe I'm not seeing it here at work ( I am on a PC- uggh) but these screen shots as viewed here look different for folders than on my Macs at home. Can you verify these recycled specs in the folders themselves? Thanks.

Updated - this is really funny. These screen shots actually look Vista-ish when viewed/rendered on a PC! I have to confirm this myself when I get home later. So funny.
  • Reply 18 of 179
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Why waste time with that? Do you really need 64-bit versions of TextEdit, Address Book, Calculator, etc?

Yes ...actually you do. Loading 32-bit apps in an otherwise 64-bit system means that you now need to load all 32-bit framework stacks. It's just easier to compile even the smallest app for 64-bit and keep your system clean.

Why you need to build 64-bit

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post

Looks like a successful work in progress. I can't wait to see Snow Leopard's alleged new marble interface!

I can't wait. I'd be surprised if we don't see some new UI stuff.
  • Reply 19 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Look very closely at an actual Leopard folder and you will see recycled specles in the forlder blue itself. Maybe I'm not seeing it here at work ( I am on a PC- uggh) but these screen shots as viewed here look different for folders than on my Macs at home. Can you verify these recycled specs in the folders themselves? Thanks.

Updated - this is really funny. These screen shots actually look Vista-ish when viewed/rendered on a PC! I have to confirm this myself when I get home later. So funny.

No, there are no speckles in Leopard folders
  • Reply 20 of 179
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

No, you don't. Tried using spring loaded folders?