A glimpse at Snow Leopard's more subtle refinements

Comments

• Reply 41 of 179
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

Grab already blocks out DVD Player, what makes you think that screen recording won't do the same? However, Apple can't make the silly assumption that content in QuickTime should be protected, since the standalone QuickTime Player refuses to play DRMed files.

Yes I know Grab blocks out DVD Player, so it's just logical to assume Snow Leopards Screen/Audio Record will do the same, for any MIAA/RIAA content.

Question is where does this put third party products that do it all, can record anything?

It puts them (and it's users) squarely in the legal bullseye of the MIAA/RIAA since these "record it all" third party recorders products only function will be (what the MIAA/RIAA determines to be) illegal copying.

Get what I'm trying to convey here?

Why would you need a third party recorder when Apple provides a free one unless your up to no good?
  • Reply 42 of 179
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JohnnyKrz View Post

What I'd rather see is Finder tabs. It seems like such an easy and obvious implementation. You could navigate to a folder, command-click (or double-click) or command-T (or whatever), to open it in a new tab OR you could simply command-T for a new tab and start navigating, then go back to the other tab where you have the file for transfer, then drop it on the other tab or hold over the other tab to switch. This would be nice.

I'll second that, too
  • Reply 43 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JakeTheRock View Post

Yes there are:

My bad. They are there. But they are really subtle and only at large scale.
  • Reply 44 of 179
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

The split terminal reminds me of a feature I have been wanting for a long time: the split Finder Window.

Whenever I want to move files, I have to open up a second Finder window and navigate to the destination folder. I have to position this window carefully so I can see the file in the first window I want to move/copy.

It would be so cool if you can split one Finder window into an upper and lower pane where each pane is individually navigable. (It could be left/right in icon view, if the user prefers).

I'm hoping Snow Leopard will let you decide what columns are available for viewing when Spotlight results are shown. For instance, I like to look at file sizes to see which movies are in the large format and which are compressed, smaller ones.

As alternative you could use spring loaded folders (select your files and drag them as a group to the home folder or drive etc and hover over until the folder is opened etc).

Alternatively, you could open two finder windows, select your files in first, start dragging, hit expose button to reveal second finder window, move your mouse over it and hit expose again to bring it to the foreground. If you have your side mouse buttons set to activate expose you can do all this with the mouse only.

Or, third alternative, launch the terminal and do it like the grown ups do with the cp, or mv command .
  • Reply 45 of 179
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by inewton1974 View Post

Hey everybody... inewton here... the user who posted the photos.

I don't want to draw too much attention to myself, but if anyone has any additional questions about this build I would be happy to answer them.

I can confirm that folders still appear to be "recycled" though. It's just those small icons don't have them. But if you blow them up to larger size they look the same as in Leopard.

Also, as far as speed goes, I would say that it certainly seems faster than Leopard, however it could just be that it's a fresh install and I'm noticing it more.

The OS is still pretty clearly not ready for prime time, though. There are some odd bugs here and there.

So... any more questions I can help answer before I get nailed by Apple?

Can you give us a listing of (Apple) apps that have been converted to 64 bit. Also, it looks like the default Terminal font is now Deja Vu or Bitstream Vera Sans Mono?

Did you experience any apps not working with SL? Does it break backward compatibility?
  • Reply 46 of 179
    Quote:

Hey everybody... inewton here... the user who posted the photos.

I don't want to draw too much attention to myself, but if anyone has any additional questions about this build I would be happy to answer them.

I can confirm that folders still appear to be "recycled" though. It's just those small icons don't have them. But if you blow them up to larger size they look the same as in Leopard.

Also, as far as speed goes, I would say that it certainly seems faster than Leopard, however it could just be that it's a fresh install and I'm noticing it more.

The OS is still pretty clearly not ready for prime time, though. There are some odd bugs here and there.

So... any more questions I can help answer before I get nailed by Apple?

Yes, is Snow Leopard being tied to EFI to thwart the Mac Clones/Hackintoshes?

What is going on in EFI with this new build?

Thanks.
  • Reply 47 of 179
    Delete this post somebody

sorry asked a question then found the answer further down
  • Reply 48 of 179
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Yes ...actually you do. Loading 32-bit apps in an otherwise 64-bit system means that you now need to load all 32-bit framework stacks. It's just easier to compile even the smallest app for 64-bit and keep your system clean.

Why you need to build 64-bit

I can't wait. I'd be surprised if we don't see some new UI stuff.

Making SL 64-bit Intel would mean it would be incompatible with all 2006 Intel Macs since (other than the Mac Pro) they all used the 32-bit CoreDuo or CoreSolo processor. Do you think Apple is ready to tell everyone that 3 year old computers need to be replaced?
  • Reply 49 of 179
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

Making SL 64-bit Intel would mean it would be incompatible with all 2006 Intel Macs since (other than the Mac Pro) they all used the 32-bit CoreDuo or CoreSolo processor. Do you think Apple is ready to tell everyone that 3 year old computers need to be replaced?

Um, there would be 32-bit versions as well in the Universal Binaries.
  • Reply 50 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

They've finally got rid of the FUGLY recycled paper folders of Leopard and have gone back to their Jaguar transluscent roots. Thank you , thank you.

Many may think these look like Vista but we are back to the jellies.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

Why would they have to be replaced? Who says once a new OS comes out you have to install that? Who says that a new OS makes everything before it obsolete? Why does it matter if the new OS is 64bit only?

Your answer Bredaland is silly, like the majority of mac freaks.
  • Reply 51 of 179
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:

The Developer Preview builds are only installable on Intel machines. I expect this to be true for the final build as well. I think Snow Leopard is Apple's line in the sand.

But that is still just speculation. I assume there's still no new info saying for sure that it's intel only?
  • Reply 52 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mario View Post

Can you give us a listing of (Apple) apps that have been converted to 64 bit. Also, it looks like the default Terminal font is now Deja Vu or Bitstream Vera Sans Mono?

Did you experience any apps not working with SL? Does it break backward compatibility?

In the Flickr set (and the AppleInsider post) there is a photo showing all the apps that have NOT yet been converted to 64-bit. Just take that list and extrapolate from there. Most of them are 64-bit now. Most of them are also Intel-only, which makes the install disc relatively small compared to Leopard. Before Snow Leopard ships I expect all preinstalled apps to be 64-bit Intel-only builds. The final Snow Leopard install disc will probably fit on a single-layer DVD.

The default font is actually Menlo, 11 pt. Also, it's antialiased by default, unlike before.

As far as backwards-compatibility... I have not tried any third-party apps yet besides LittleSnapper (that I used to take the screenshots). LS has had some odd behaviors in Snow Leopard, so I assume there are going to be a lot of developers needing to update their applications for the new OS.
  • Reply 53 of 179
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChrisDaMacMan View Post

Why would they have to be replaced? Who says once a new OS comes out you have to install that? Who says that a new OS makes everything before it obsolete? Why does it matter if the new OS is 64bit only?

Sure, they wouldn't have to be replaced, but there would be some pretty darn recent machines unable to run the latest OS, and that wouldn't go over well with users.

Why does it matter if the new OS is 64bit only? Because it will shut out users with recent machines who will want the new features, improved performance, and may even need it to run certain apps.

I'm not crazy about dropping PPC support, but I can see them doing it and getting away with it. Dropping all 32 bit support on the other hand, would be much more controversial and would raise the question of why Apple even bothered with 32 bit intel hardware if they didn't intend to stand by it.
  • Reply 54 of 179
    scotty321scotty321 Posts: 313member
    Very cool about Apple FINALLY allowing us to have the date in the menubar, but it still isn't as great as the program MenuCalendarClock which I have been using for YEARS!

MenuCalendarclock is fully customizable. Not only does it let you add your date to the menubar, but it also lets you instantly see your entire iCal calendar at a glance! Right from the menubar! It's brilliant.

• Reply 55 of 179
    EDIT: Nevermind, I was wrong on that point, sorry.
  • Reply 56 of 179
    Quote:

EDIT: Nevermind, I was wrong on that point, sorry.

Is Snow Leopard being tied to EFI to thwart the Mac Clones/Hackintoshes?

thanks
  • Reply 57 of 179
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Yes I know Grab blocks out DVD Player, so it's just logical to assume Snow Leopards Screen/Audio Record will do the same, for any MIAA/RIAA content.

Question is where does this put third party products that do it all, can record anything?

It puts them (and it's users) squarely in the legal bullseye of the MIAA/RIAA since these "record it all" third party recorders products only function will be (what the MIAA/RIAA determines to be) illegal copying.

Get what I'm trying to convey here?

Why would you need a third party recorder when Apple provides a free one unless your up to no good?

Um, no. Apple has a license that allows DVD Player to play protected DVDs. They have no obligation to block the recording functionality of Quicktime Player, especially if it has no DRM & they have no agreement with the rights holders even with FairPlay because it is not CSS. Anybody recording full movies off of their screens & uploading them to Youtube will still have their videos taken down when the DMCA takedown appears, but that won't stop people.

Apart from that Quicktime Player already has a recording function for audio, you just need Quicktime Pro for it & I can record a protected music file with it as well as any other sound in the room or playing from my computer.
  • Reply 58 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Is Snow Leopard being tied to EFI to thwart the Mac Clones/Hackintoshes?

thanks

I really can't say anything one way or another on that, sorry. I doubt there is much change from Leopard in regards to how it interacts with EFI, though. I imagine there will still be Hackintoshes around for as long as people care enough to try to beat the system.
  • Reply 59 of 179
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Yes it is- it's frk'n ugly. Who wanted a recycled look- Al Gore?

The original aqua solid look of Jaguar's folder was gorgeous. Enough said.

Shut up or write your own icon theme.
  • Reply 60 of 179
    houseleyhouseley Posts: 147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

The split terminal reminds me of a feature I have been wanting for a long time: the split Finder Window.

Whenever I want to move files, I have to open up a second Finder window and navigate to the destination folder. I have to position this window carefully so I can see the file in the first window I want to move/copy.

It would be so cool if you can split one Finder window into an upper and lower pane where each pane is individually navigable. (It could be left/right in icon view, if the user prefers).

I'm hoping Snow Leopard will let you decide what columns are available for viewing when Spotlight results are shown. For instance, I like to look at file sizes to see which movies are in the large format and which are compressed, smaller ones.

If SL fails to come up with the goods, you may have to flash the plastic big time for this.