weird behavior in 10.2.3 Finder

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I've been having some seriously weird stuff happening the last couple of days. Some apps start up right away, for some there is no detectable activity for 20-30 seconds then it starts.

After running for awhile, keys remap themselves (down arrow does'nt scroll, it moves directly to the bottom of a page), clicking on an app in the dock opens the application folder rather than the app, left-clicking brings up contextual menus, apps in background can only be brought to the foreground by clicking the dock icon, except that that sometimes opens the app folder which then can only be brought to the foreground by clicking on the dock icon...arrgh.

I did an archive and install- same problems. I've zapped the PRAM, reset open firmware ('nvram' and 'all'), repaired permissions, rebuilt the directories, run macjanitor... I'm out of ideas.

Anyone have a clue other than a wipe and install?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Wow. That sounds like one hell of a problem. Have you recently installed any hacks of any kind?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    Tried an archived install? Something's gone majorly screwy, but at least an archive won't trash your data.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Yeah, I've done an archive and install- no joy, and yeah, I download and install all kinds of crap. Guess I'll backup my user directory and reinstall.

thanks anyway,

bri
  • Reply 4 of 5
    spookyspooky Posts: 504member
    I've been having a weird prob in 10.2.3 with IE. if I have IE open then click on my mail app to bring it forward its fine. but if I then click on the title bar of the IE wwindow to bring it to the front then the mouse seems to lock on the scroll bar and no matter where I move it the page just automatically scrolls up or down even wth the mouse button in the up position. the cursor also disappears at the same time. if I click again then order is restored - weird.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    For me, I have a problem since 10.2.2 I guess or may be 10.2.1 or the original 10.2. Many time when I click on an app on the dock for example, Sherlock..it opens up ICQ or not opening any program. I then go inside the applications folder and click on Sherlock, it sometimes opens it correctly but not 100%. I have to either quit the Finder (thanks to ThinkerTools) and relauch it or need to re-login.

What is going on... it drives me nutz..