When to Buy a New iMac?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi everyone,

After years of PC use I am finally going back to Mac after my Thinkpad motherboard died for the 5th time. Planning on buying a 24" iMac that will serve as computer and entertainment center.

The iMac was just updated a few months ago and is currently supposed to be mid-cycle (http://guides.macrumors.com/iMac_Buyer's_Guide).

So is it likely that it will see another upgrade this month at the WWDC? It's only another week to wait, but I have work piling up.

If I do buy one now, will there be extra cost with upgrading to Snow Leopard?

Essentially I would like to buy one as soon as possible, but could afford to wait if there were significant improvements or advantages to doing so.

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    A significantly new iMac won't be out until Q3 at the earliest is my guess.

I'm not sure if Apple is going to try and shoehorn a Lynnfield quad core

processor into the iMac. I hope they do because Lynnfield is the perfect

iMac CPU

Lynnfield rocks with Turbo Boost!
  • Reply 2 of 5
    mysticmystic Posts: 514member
    The best time to buy an iMac is 2:43 pm.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by batik33 View Post

Hi everyone,

After years of PC use I am finally going back to Mac after my Thinkpad motherboard died for the 5th time. Planning on buying a 24" iMac that will serve as computer and entertainment center.

The iMac was just updated a few months ago and is currently supposed to be mid-cycle (http://guides.macrumors.com/iMac_Buyer's_Guide).

So is it likely that it will see another upgrade this month at the WWDC? It's only another week to wait, but I have work piling up.

If I do buy one now, will there be extra cost with upgrading to Snow Leopard?

Essentially I would like to buy one as soon as possible, but could afford to wait if there were significant improvements or advantages to doing so.

Thanks!

It's exactly like anything else, the best time to buy an iMac is when you need one. Waiting won't gain you anything because you'll just be that much closer to the release of whatever model replaces what you waited for. You'll never be able to keep up with what is current for more than a few months, unless your wealthy.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    m1911a1m1911a1 Posts: 24member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mystic View Post

The best time to buy an iMac is 2:43 pm.

On a Friday...
  • Reply 5 of 5
    robonerdrobonerd Posts: 58member
    There's always going to be something bigger and better just over the horizon. You're not buying an iMac to get the biggest bang hardware. (Mac Pros are for that.) You're buying it to do stuff with it. If it does everything you need, then don't worry over the specs.

I have the original aluminum iMac that's about two years old now. It runs great; I've upgraded the ram to its max of 4GB. Otherwise it's been untouched since I bought it. I figure it will serve my needs for at least another two years before I consider purchasing another Mac.