Apple releases iTunes 8.2 and QuickTime 7.6.2

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple on Monday released iTunes 8.2, a new version of its media cataloging software with support for the upcoming iPhone Software 3.0 release. It was accompanied by a recommended maintenance update for QuickTime 7.6.

iTunes 8.2

iTunes 8.2, available for download here or via Software Update, supports iPhone or iPod touch handhelds loaded with iPhone 3.0 Software Update, which is due for release in the coming weeks.

The new version of iTunes also includes several accessibility improvements and bug fixes, according to a brief set of release notes.

Registered iPhone developers have had access to iTunes 8.2 since late April when Apple released a new beta of iPhone Software 3.0 that was incompatible with the then current iTunes 8.1 release.

QuickTime 7.6.2

Joining the release of iTunes 8.2 is QuickTime 7.6.2, a recommended update for all QuickTime 7 users that includes changes that increase reliability, improve compatibility and enhance security.

More specifically, the release is said to improve compatibility with Apple ProRes media and feature a handful of security updates.

As of press time, QuickTime 7.6.2 was available only via Software Update.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    missiongreymissiongrey Posts: 208member
    Im excited for 3.0!
  • Reply 2 of 47
    trackertracker Posts: 35member
    I wonder if this will still work with the Pre or lock it out before they introduce it?

Not that I'm getting one, just wondering since they were promoting itune support.
  • Reply 3 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tracker View Post

I wonder if this will still work with the Pre or lock it out before they introduce it?

Not that I'm getting one, just wondering since they were promoting itune support.

Good question, I guess we will find out in 5 days.
  • Reply 4 of 47
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:

Probably won't. As many have pointed out already, the Pre simply lets you transfer music just as a lot of other mp3 players already do. There's still more you can do with an ipod/iphone when syncing with itunes than you can do with a Pre. To block out the Pre would actually be a dumb move since it would mean Pre owners would use other methods to get their mp3s.
  • Reply 5 of 47
    breezebreeze Posts: 96member
    Quote:

"Pre Locked Out of iTunes"

That would make great 1st day news for the pre wouldn't it?
  • Reply 6 of 47
    striker_kkstriker_kk Posts: 246member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Probably won't. As many have pointed out already, the Pre simply lets you transfer music just as a lot of other mp3 players already do. There's still more you can do with an ipod/iphone when syncing with itunes than you can do with a Pre. To block out the Pre would actually be a dumb move since it would mean Pre owners would use other methods to get their mp3s.

Stopping pre from syncing with iTunes would be a bad move unless they kick it [ pre ] in its ass with their OS 3.0 release.
  • Reply 7 of 47
    Quote:

I am not sure if I am remembering correctly, but I think the article said only the Mac OS version of iTunes let the Pre work on it? If I am correct it ends up kind of a mute point since (I am speculating) if you own a Mac computer there is a very high chance you will buy an iPhone over a Pre most of the time.
  • Reply 8 of 47
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MissionGrey View Post

I am not sure if I am remembering correctly, but I think the article said only the Mac OS version of iTunes let the Pre work on it? If I am correct it ends up kind of a mute point since (I am speculating) if you own a Mac computer there is a very high chance you will buy an iPhone over a Pre most of the time.

I haven't heard anything like that so I can't speak to that. If that's the case, then it's Palm who is making a bad decision here. I'm fairly certain though that if it will work on the Mac version of iTunes, it should work on the Windows version of iTunes. No way would Palm completely ignore the fact that a very large portion (if not most) of their customers will be working with Windows.
  • Reply 9 of 47
    Quote:

I haven't heard anything like that so I can't speak to that. If that's the case, then it's Palm who is making a bad decision here. I'm fairly certain though that if it will work on the Mac version of iTunes, it should work on the Windows version of iTunes. No way would Palm completely ignore the fact that a very large portion (if not most) of their customers will be working with Windows.

"Palm Pre syncs with iTunes on a Mac just like an iPhone"

that is the headline of a story from last week, it does not explain if it was tried on both platforms or just Mac.
  • Reply 10 of 47
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Did they do this last year with iTunes? Is there ANY hope the new iPhone hardware will ship next week? Looks to me like NO based on parts rumors and channel inventory reports..
  • Reply 11 of 47
    rnp1rnp1 Posts: 175member
    [QUOTE=Tracker;1424629]I wonder if this will still work with the Pre or lock it out before they introduce it?

"APPLE iTUNES SOFTWARE IS TO BE USED WITH HARDWARE MADE BY APPLE. ANY OTHER USE IS THEFT OF INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY" (including devices made by other companies who stoop to hiring former Apple execs, who are in violation of the spirit of their noncompetes!)

PRE DEE DEE!
  • Reply 12 of 47
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rnp1 View Post

"APPLE iTUNES SOFTWARE IS TO BE USED WITH HARDWARE MADE BY APPLE. ANY OTHER USE IS THEFT OF INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY" (including devices made by other companies who stoop to hiring former Apple execs, who are in violation of the spirit of their noncompetes!)

Strange, even Apple does not really seem to agree: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2172?viewlocale=en_US

Actually Palm is only driving people to the iTunes Store by relying on iTunes. People coming to the iTunes Store will eventually buy TV shows or movies, and may then want a phone that is able to play those... Apple must love that move.
  • Reply 13 of 47
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    [QUOTE=rnp1;1424646]
    Quote:

PRE DEE DEE!

I wonder the Windows version of iTunes is all about then.
  • Reply 14 of 47
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:

What an inane question - why would Apple block it when they already have an open mechanism to support alternative players?
  • Reply 15 of 47
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Let other's connect to iTunes. Let iTunes and iPhone sell on their own merits, not the fact that they can lock other people out. If the pre is a good phone / media device then it will be good for competition. If it is not it will take care of itself. I like my iPhone but I have nothing against the pre. Why should I?
  • Reply 16 of 47
    akf2000akf2000 Posts: 223member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Did they do this last year with iTunes? Is there ANY hope the new iPhone hardware will ship next week? Looks to me like NO based on parts rumors and channel inventory reports..

Shipped no. Announced yes.
  • Reply 17 of 47
    rnp1rnp1 Posts: 175member
    [QUOTE=lkrupp;1424649]
    Quote:

I wonder the Windows version of iTunes is all about then.

PROFITS
  • Reply 18 of 47
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:

I was thinking the same thing. Apple doesn't like to share so I wouldn't doubt they disabled the Pre from connecting. Oopsy.
  • Reply 19 of 47
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:

Do any other players actually sync with iTunes? I don't see why blocking it would be dumb, while there are other ways to sync, they don't necessarily work as smoothly as iTunes does.
  • Reply 20 of 47
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

What an inane question - why would Apple block it when they already have an open mechanism to support alternative players?

My understanding is that the Pre takes it a step further by identifying itself as an Apple device, which opens up some functionality that Apple has held close to its vest.