Microsoft being intuitive???

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So the big microsoft game conference was today at E3

And they showed there secret project natal??? First off the video is cheesy, but if it works the way they show it, it gonna make the Wii look like a peice of crap

Just wanted to post this and see if you guys think Microsoft might have something here....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDuCHHtG5DY

Heres another video, shows Peter Molyneux from lionhead studios that made fable II

and what they created with this project natal,,, a virtual friend that interacts with you?!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWnZOseA3Lw

And i'm an apple fanboy, but i like xbox becuase of the games they have, but the thing still has died on me twice and they needed to replace it for me...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    The history of MS is littered with cool videos of vaporware that never sees the light of day.

Even if this ever turns into a shipping product, I'm not sure that pantomiming things is any improvement over having something to hold onto. I think I would find just waving my arms in the air to be actually more tiring than manipulating a small controller.

For instance, for a driving game I'd much rather have a dedicated controller that I can position comfortably close to my body than have to extend my arms in a "hands on wheel" attitude, just so the sensor system can get a clear read on what I'm doing.

And I'd rather have a dedicated button for things like turbo, than having to make some kind of broad gesture.

MS just has too much money and manpower. They dream up cool seeming but ultimately pointless tech all the time.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    That is taking the Wii to the next level, or since Microsoft doesn't make the Wii, putting it out to pasture.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Which is why they do things like release this video. It doesn't matter if this tech is no more than a back of the napkin idea at this point, they want to plant the idea that maybe a Wii killer is coming from MS any time now.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    solarsolar Posts: 84member
    It's quite interesting.

During the demos the project manager guy's avatar didn't seem to mo cap very well at all, might have been his bright orange/red jacket and all of the stage lighting, but that seemed downright horrible. (also the guy was a bit of a douche-bag that didn't really help things)

There were quite a few games shown but only the two onstage demos, plus the "virtual boy" from lionshead. I'll be interested to see if they're doing behind closed doors demos of the other games or if they're vaporware at this point.. (I'm betting they are, since the skateboarding, or F1 racing with pit crew would make a far more interesting on stage demo.)

I'm betting EA is already working on a "Sports Active" for this, it seems like a perfect fit.

I don't really think that this is some kind of Wii killer, and even if it is, Nintendo is sitting pretty right now, selling the most systems, and actually making money on everyone of them that's sold. The Xbox has finally started making a profit, but I'm not sure that in the numbers they tout, they've factored in the cost of all the hw replacements from RROD. Even if Nintendo stopped selling the Wii tomorrow, I don't think the 360 would overcome Wii installed units.

I think that full body control is overkill, except for things like "exercise games". I think the wiimote/nunchuck combo offers a nice balance between still using a controller with traditional buttons, but being able to independently move your hands, and have some waggle control. The motion plus addition might be a "good enough" solution for most people.

I want's to say it's just the typical Microsoft me too! It's the typical late entrance to the party, but they're acting like they just had this great epiphany all by themselves that modern video game controllers are too complicated for your grandma.

I also can't sit here say that it's not an impressive piece of tech, and if it works as they're advertising it, they've brought a rocket launcher to a knife fight.

I don't think Nintendo has anything this big in it's bag for the morning, but we'll see in a few hours..
  • Reply 5 of 8
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    I'm sorry to rain on anyone's parade but f*k Microsoft and their Xbox RROD stuff. I guess I'm a PC gamer till death. Just give me W,A,S,D keys and Mouse. It's how I use a computer, it's a fine way to game. Rumbling controllers and (as fun as Wii is) flying arms in the air, a bit to intense. Maybe I'm getting old (30 years old here). Playing Left4Dead is an intense enough experience just sitting in front of a computer, I'm not sure I can handle "gestures", "rumbles", "biofeedback" or any of that stuff right now. Also, I know this is a big PC vs Console thing but how the hell do you really play FPShooters with a controller? I've tried PS3, I just don't "get" it. Like I said, W,A,S,D,Mouse1,Mouse2,Mouselook works fine for 99% of my gaming right now. Guitar Hero and all that is fun but maybe I'm also just a very "unsocial" gamer, I usually don't game at home with anyone else, just game online with others using Garena.com

I know the irony, I'm using Microsoft Vista Business SP1 32bit to game. So it's still Microsoft. But they should stick to getting Windows 7 up and decent as soon as possible, DX11 not sucking, and not requiring enormous insanely-price big hot graphic cards (yes GPU manufacturers responsible for this too).

R&D is always good and fun and also important but I don't see any of this Microsoft stuff being a PS3/PS4/Wii/Wii2 killer or a XBOX360 Version 2 or 3.

And why the hell isn't Starcraft2 out already? WTF is Blizzard doing? Now *THAT* is f*king pure vapourware by definition. Cool demos and videos for years now and NO SHIPPING PRODUCT AT ALL. If not for Dawn of War 1 and 2, the "futuristic RTS" genre would be quite sad.

</rant>
  • Reply 6 of 8
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Yes one day Microsoft will release a great piece of tech, where "contact sports", you really feel the contact through biofeedback fields and what not.

Instead of RROD when the console crashes you keep getting punched in the face (and feeling it) until you run off to the wall socket to kill the console power.

</Microsoft-bashing>

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Solar View Post

It's quite interesting.

During the demos the project manager guy's avatar didn't seem to mo cap very well at all, might have been his bright orange/red jacket and all of the stage lighting, but that seemed downright horrible. (also the guy was a bit of a douche-bag that didn't really help things)

There were quite a few games shown but only the two onstage demos, plus the "virtual boy" from lionshead. I'll be interested to see if they're doing behind closed doors demos of the other games or if they're vaporware at this point.. (I'm betting they are, since the skateboarding, or F1 racing with pit crew would make a far more interesting on stage demo.)

I'm betting EA is already working on a "Sports Active" for this, it seems like a perfect fit.

I don't really think that this is some kind of Wii killer, and even if it is, Nintendo is sitting pretty right now, selling the most systems, and actually making money on everyone of them that's sold. The Xbox has finally started making a profit, but I'm not sure that in the numbers they tout, they've factored in the cost of all the hw replacements from RROD. Even if Nintendo stopped selling the Wii tomorrow, I don't think the 360 would overcome Wii installed units.

I think that full body control is overkill, except for things like "exercise games". I think the wiimote/nunchuck combo offers a nice balance between still using a controller with traditional buttons, but being able to independently move your hands, and have some waggle control. The motion plus addition might be a "good enough" solution for most people.

I want's to say it's just the typical Microsoft me too! It's the typical late entrance to the party, but they're acting like they just had this great epiphany all by themselves that modern video game controllers are too complicated for your grandma.

I also can't sit here say that it's not an impressive piece of tech, and if it works as they're advertising it, they've brought a rocket launcher to a knife fight.

I don't think Nintendo has anything this big in it's bag for the morning, but we'll see in a few hours..

• Reply 7 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    IMO, this is much better than what Nintendo have if it works adequately. It's basically the same principle as the iphone of why do you even need buttons any more? And I have to say, I sit at my computer day in day out and think the same thing.

Why do I even need a mouse that forces my hand to be fixed in a particular position sometimes causing a lot of pain when I could just do some movements over the desk with my hand. If they want to add custom gestures, no problem. The keyboard is a little trickier but if they have an onscreen keyboard with positional co-ordinates of each hand shown with cursors it could work the same too and would probably mean less typing errors. Plus with 2 cursors, I could be more productive.

From the demos I've seen, The Wii just lost its selling point if the 360 can do something better, cost the same but also deliver high end graphics, not to mention all the media distribution features.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    tac22tac22 Posts: 20member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Solar View Post

I don't think microsoft would ever catch up to nintendo with profit... hell it might be as bugged as the orignal xbox 360 release... and have to replace these things left and right... like i said, microsoft seams to beable to make a good product, but its not reliable... i had my xbox 360 die on me twice, and they replaced it... i love it to death.... but doesn't mean i want it to die once a year...

i just think, that if this new 3d cam, no controller required projet natal works, that the sales for the Wii will drop significanly... hell it might get nintendo to start jumping ahead to the future... they thought they were so cool with there moition controllers and non of the platforms could touch them, but now xbox is gonna have this, and Ps3 has a new motion controller two, and what did the wii just get to go along with there oh soo cool wii fit, OMG now they have pulse reader you put on your finger... they could do better then that