Testing agency certifying new 4GB, 32GB iPhones?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A standards body greenlighting cellphones for carriers has supposedly approved four new iPhone models, including a new 32GB model as well as an unusual 4GB version. A Canadian rumor is now said to be showing the smaller-capacity device.

The PCS Type Review Certification Board was said on Monday to have approved new 4GB, 8GB, 16GB and 32GB versions of Apple's handsets for use with AT&T.

While most have expected a 32GB model due to advances in technology, Engadget's "trusted" source for the purported leak notes that the range of storage levels is unusually wide for Apple, which until now has never had more than two capacities on sale at a time. It sold 4GB iPhones for just three months, dropping the lowest capacity in September 2007.

The company also has a history of always upgrading the feature set of its devices with each new introduction rather than it scaling back for the sake of a new model, further casting doubt on the apparent update.

Unless the claimed certification is referring to both old and new models, however, the approval would support notions that Apple is moving capacity both upwards and downwards to catch the largest audience possible. Analysts have called for lower-priced iPhones but have until now had little to no corroborating information other than a desire for their existence as part of a market share grab.

The news comes as a purported insider at Canadian provider Fido has leaked a roadmap slide that claims Apple is introducing a 4GB iPhone. It would cost $99 on a plan, according to Boy Genius Report, but would still have the same 3G and 2-megapixel camera. No mention is made of GPS or Wi-Fi, however. The device is listed as supporting "video calling" through an iChat app and is highly suspected of being a fake.

Supposed roadmap image of a 4G iPhone destined for Fido. | Image credits: Boy Genius Report.

AT&T for its part has focused less on the price of individual phones and more on the possibility of cheaper capped data plans that shed unlimited access for a lower, more accessible monthly fee.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 61
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    If true, I can't see where an 8GB model could be anything but a $99 phone (it seems reasonable to assume that the current $199 slot will be taken by a 16GB model), which might suggest that a 4GB model (if actually sold in the US) would be free.

That would certainly change the dynamic now, wouldn't it?
  • Reply 2 of 61
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

If true, I can't see where an 8GB model could be anything but a $99 phone (it seems reasonable to assume that the current $199 slot will be taken by a 16GB model), which might suggest that a 4GB model (if actually sold in the US) would be free.

That would certainly change the dynamic now, wouldn't it?

My head will explode with allL these iphoneus up dates

So if true then the itouch is going to 64g ??

TIC TOC

• Reply 3 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A standards body greenlighting cellphones for carriers has supposedly approved four new iPhone models, including a new 32GB model as well as, unusually, a 4GB version.

The PCS Type Review Certification Board was said on Monday to have approved new 4GB, 8GB, 16GB and 32GB versions of Apple's handsets for use with AT&T.

While most have expected a 32GB model due to advances in technology, Engadget's "trusted" source for the purported leak notes that the range of storage levels is unusually wide for Apple, which until now has never had more than two capacities on sale at a time. It sold 4GB iPhones for just three months, dropping the lowest capacity in September 2007.

The company also has a history of always upgrading the feature set of its devices with each new introduction rather than it scaling back for the sake of a new model, further casting doubt on the apparent update.

Unless the claimed certification is referring to both old and new models, however, the approval would support notions that Apple is moving capacity both upwards and downwards to catch the largest audience possible. Analysts have called for lower-priced iPhones but have until now had little to no corroborating information other than a desire for their existence as part of a market share grab.

AT&T for its part has focused less on the price of individual phones and more on the possibility of cheaper capped data plans that shed unlimited access for a lower, more accessible monthly fee.

Dear AI,

It appears that the 4GB iPhone is true. New evidence is supported by Boy Genius Report's photo taken image of a 4GB iPhone. The rumored $99 iPhone would feature quad-band GSM, tri-band HSDPA and a 2 megapixel camera. Do post this in your updated report of the mysterious 4 models of the new upcoming iPhone. This must point to one of the rumored lower-ended models of the iPhone.

Here's the link:http://www.boygeniusreport.com/

Regards
  • Reply 4 of 61
    That's too many models. Apple usually keeps it to 2 or 3 models to reduce costumer confusion.
  • Reply 5 of 61
    p lp l Posts: 64member
    4GbIf true, probably aimed toward the young. MMS, iChat, Facebook, 2mp Camera etc. "Or China".
  • Reply 6 of 61
    tac22tac22 Posts: 20member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThatSoCALguy View Post

Dear AI,

It appears that the 4GB iPhone is true. New evidence is supported by Boy Genius Report's photo taken image of a 4GB iPhone. The rumored $99 iPhone would feature quad-band GSM, tri-band HSDPA and a 2 megapixel camera. Do post this in your updated report of the mysterious 4 models of the new upcoming iPhone. This must point to one of the rumored lower-ended models of the iPhone.

Here's the link:http://www.boygeniusreport.com/

Regards

not only all that...... but it says video calling....????? look at the pic

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/...oadmap-leaked/

or here it is

• Reply 7 of 61
    tac22tac22 Posts: 20member
    and take note that image is not actual product... so the chrome bezel still may be black in the next gen
  • Reply 8 of 61
    Yes but we are still in the dark regarding full specs and design on the upcoming iPhone. True? False? Only time will tell until Apple officially sheds some light and reveals the "new" iPhone.
  • Reply 9 of 61
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightstriker View Post

That's too many models. Apple usually keeps it to 2 or 3 models to reduce costumer confusion.

They could be for different markets. But I don't know who that standards body is for...
  • Reply 10 of 61
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    "The company also has a history of always upgrading the feature set of its devices with each new introduction rather than it scaling back for the sake of a new model."

Ummm....didn't Apple do exactly that when they introduced the iPod mini and the iPod shuffle? Both had less memory than their predecessors.
  • Reply 11 of 61
    mtomto Posts: 16member
    I hope like hell the iPhone doesn't go cheep! I like it being exclusive I don't want everyone and their brother having the same phone as me. I want them to remain jealous because their to cheep to pay for the jesus phone. Grrr

I hope the 4 gigger is for other countries and get the 32 and 16.

Oh and I am hoping that bezel is a frosted (sand blasted) chrome like every other aluminum product Apple makes. If this would be the case then with the matt back the phone would almost perfectly match my iMac.

From what I can tell from those pictures floating around the chrome logo and all the other stuff is not polished silver like on the current handset.
  • Reply 12 of 61
    what if the 4gb device isnt an iphone but a tablet device with a 3G module built right in. then it would need to go through certification just like a phone would. the low capacity makes sense given that such a device wouldnt be primarily used for carrying around copious amounts of music.

the carriers seem to be quite pleased with the netbooks on sale with 3G built in because they can offer the hardware for free up front and then charge a hefty monthly fee. such a tablet device would fit exactly with that sales model.
  • Reply 13 of 61
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member
    It makes no sense for Apple to come out with a 4GB iPhone. Very few people would buy it, and the cost savings would be insignificant...I'd bet it would even cost more since there would be costs associated with having the additional model, and lost sales due to people not buying as much media and apps from Apple.
  • Reply 14 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MTO View Post

I hope like hell the iPhone doesn't go cheep! I like it being exclusive I don't want everyone and their brother having the same phone as me. I want them to remain jealous because their to cheep to pay for the jesus phone. Grrr

Ok, that's funny. Doesn't everyone and their brother have an iPod these days? This will be no different and, infact, help Apple.
  • Reply 15 of 61
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Notice the "ad" doesn't mention the App store.

I would think the APp store is on of the biggest drivers of the iPhone.

However, since Apple is not getting rich off the apps, so they could make an inexpensive phone and not lose anything from App store sales.
  • Reply 16 of 61
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macslut View Post

It makes no sense for Apple to come out with a 4GB iPhone. Very few people would buy it, and the cost savings would be insignificant...I'd bet it would even cost more since there would be costs associated with having the additional model, and lost sales due to people not buying as much media and apps from Apple.

Plus, if the linked photo is to be believed, it would have video chat, necessitating an additional front facing camera, while still being specced as having a 2MP main camera.

So, bare bones hardware to hit a price point, but somehow including an all new front facing camera? Can't see it.
  • Reply 17 of 61
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    The fido thing is probably true, the people at fido are morons, thus the video calling mistake.
  • Reply 18 of 61
    kernkraftkernkraft Posts: 14member
    Three years' contract is just too long. Who wants a commitment that lasts for almost a third of a decade? Also, a 'cheapo' iPhone would be pretty expensive for 99USD on a three year contract. Apple might be playing with us. There is just too much manipulation with these iPhone and next-year netbook-like devices. Or the MB Air, for that matter!
  • Reply 19 of 61
    floccusfloccus Posts: 138member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by andrewmcg View Post

what if the 4gb device isnt an iphone but a tablet device with a 3G module built right in. then it would need to go through certification just like a phone would. the low capacity makes sense given that such a device wouldnt be primarily used for carrying around copious amounts of music.

the carriers seem to be quite pleased with the netbooks on sale with 3G built in because they can offer the hardware for free up front and then charge a hefty monthly fee. such a tablet device would fit exactly with that sales model.

Except that a tablet would more than likely require even more on board memory b/c of the internal space available. Apple doesn't like having expanded memory capability, so to produce a tablet that would logicallyb e priced between a Macbook and the iPhone (before any subsidy) would mean having the storage capacity fall between those ranges as well. What would be the point in having a bigger screen if you can't hold more movies, tv shows, etc than you can already hold on the iPhone?

The only way this should be real is if its going to be a free with contract deal that also features a cheaper data plan to really bring in more customer. Think about it, Apple wants to sell higher margin products. Its ATT that wants more people locked in to 2 year contracts.
  • Reply 20 of 61
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThatSoCALguy View Post

Yes but we are still in the dark regarding full specs and design on the upcoming iPhone. True? False? Only time will tell until Apple officially sheds some light and reveals the "new" iPhone.

yep. this is all just rumor. heck we don't KNOW there is going to be new phone hardware at this point. it seems likely but it ain't fact until Apple tells us what's up.

i for one hope the data plan thing is true. I'd love to pay a bit less for a 'capped' plan and then turn off the freaking 3g (my roommate gets lousy 3g in our neighbor and just switched to edge with his blackberry) and use wifi for my data thanks to our apartment net and like 30 copy shops and coffeehouses around us (and around work)