IMac G4 17" 1 Gig memory a myth?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I know. There is the user installable memory and then there is the internal memory that will void my warrantee if I go inside and change it. But still, the iMac G4 was advertised that it can be upgraded to 1 Gig. Its an old machine so I went ahead and followed instructions from xlr8yourmac and put in a 512 MB chip, replacing the 256MB that the machine came with. The machine works just fine but the OS does not see the extra memory. Is there a trick to get that to work?

---trying to squeeze some more life out of an old machine

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Assuming it's the right type of RAM (speed, etc.) it sounds like it may not be fully seated.

G4 ... what warranty are you worried about voiding ???
  • Reply 2 of 9
    mysticmystic Posts: 514member
    I have 2GB in my 20" G4 (round base) and it works just fine. Which G4 is it? Are you sure you have the correct RAM? It has to be the EXACT speed
  • Reply 3 of 9
    I read somewhere that opening up the case beyond the access panel to add the 512 "user installable" memory voids the Apple warrantee. I don't really care at this point in this computer's life as it is beyond warrantee anyway.

Anyway, before I installed the 512MB chip on the motherboard (the non -user installable memory), the System profiler indicated I had 768 MB of memory (256+512). Now, with the 512 MB internal chip in that slot (as opposed to the 256 MB stick that was factory installed there), the System profiler still tells me I have 768 MB. Strange no? I am pretty sure I got the right chip and its seated well. If it were the wrong speed, wouldn't the chip not function at all?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sergeaudio View Post

... I don't really care at this point in this computer's life as it is beyond warrantee anyway.

Exactly what I was getting at... sarcasm just doesn't work well in print

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sergeaudio View Post

Anyway, before I installed the 512MB chip on the motherboard (the non -user installable memory), the System profiler indicated I had 768 MB of memory (256+512). Now, with the 512 MB internal chip in that slot (as opposed to the 256 MB stick that was factory installed there), the System profiler still tells me I have 768 MB. Strange no? I am pretty sure I got the right chip and its seated well. If it were the wrong speed, wouldn't the chip not function at all?

Wow... that IS odd... I really don't know what to suggest at this point. As I understand you, you've got 512 + 512 installed, but it's only seeing 768... hmm...

So it can see half of the new RAM... I'd try swapping the two 512 sticks into each other's slot and see if it still reads that way. Running "System Profiler" should tell you which slot it's not reading correctly.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    The two sticks are two different sizes actually. The user accessible one is half the length of the internal one. The hoops those designers had to go through to make that cpu domed!

I'm just wondering if there isnt some kind of reset that needs to happen for the motherboard to come to its senses.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    So you reckon my 168-pin memory chip is mislabeled? Any other possible explanation?
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Mis-labeled, or just bad.

So the machine uses a full size (DIMM) module in one slot, and a "small outline" (SODIMM) module in the other slot?... I believe it, but sometimes I just don't understand what Apple was thinking with regard to their "form over function" designs .

Do you have the original CD?... With the Extended Hardware Test software on it?

It's entirely possible you just got a bad RAM module.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    The 17" 800MHz will take a maximum of 1GB of RAM (PC133 512MB 144pin SODIMM and 512MB 168pin DIMM)

The 17" 1GHz will take a maximum of 2GB of RAM (PC2100 or PC2700, 1GB 200pin SODIMM and 1GB 184pin DIMM)

The 17" 1.25GHz will take a maximum of 2GB of RAM (PC2700, 1GB 200pin SODIMM and 1GB 184pin DIMM)

Avoid "value" RAMs like Kingston Value RAM but any cheap RAM which actually state Mac-compatibility will be fine. Look for life-time warranty and good returns policy.

http://www.ramseeker.com/memory/iMac...Panel_(PC133)/

I agree with KOSH - it sounds like you have a duff module. You could run a test like Rember: http://www.kelleycomputing.net/rember/

Did you replace the thermal paste when closing up the iMac? It won't matter in the first few minutes but several hours down the line you could start cooking the iMac.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    Have you already replaced the interior, difficult-to-access chip? If not, the internal chip is only 256MB most likely.