Will a preinstalled laptop with osx be better than a laptop where you have to install

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hey im currently a pc user but i want to switch to a mac lol. My main question is will i have the same hassle with apple like the pc with installing a new os to a computer? for instance if i bought a mac now with just lepord and i update it to snow lepord, when it comes out, will the new os remain or will the previous os apear if the computer has to be restored to its factory settings? So is it worth to wait for a mac with snow lepord preinstalled or is it alright to just get the mac now and just buy snow lepord when it comes out for $29? I just want to be safe since ive had problems with installing the vista os and then having to installing it again when i restore the computers factory settings.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    You can buy now.

The SnowLeopard DVD that you will buy this fall is (assuming it works the same as every other OS release) a full install version of the OS. While you will be able to re-install directly to SnowLeopard, that will result in all "default" system preferences settings. But we'll assume you also have a "Time Machine" backup of your system on an external HDD, which will allow you to restore all the docs, apps, preference settings, etc to what you had before you elected to re-install the OS.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dkaz2389 View Post

... My main question is will i have the same hassle with apple like the pc with installing a new os to a computer? for instance if i bought a mac now with just lepord and i update it to snow lepord, when it comes out, will the new os remain or will the previous os apear if the computer has to be restored to its factory settings? So is it worth to wait for a mac with snow lepord preinstalled or is it alright to just get the mac now and just buy snow lepord when it comes out for $29? I just want to be safe since ive had problems with installing the vista os and then having to installing it again when i restore the computers factory settings.

MacOS X is not Vista. When you upgrade from Leopard to Snow Leopard, the installation will preserve all of your settings immediately prior to the upgrade. After you upgrade, you will be able to return immediately to work.

No previous version of MacOS X contained an uninstaller or reverter. You can rest assured that Snow Leopard will not. However, this is not "necessary." If you want to restore your factory settings, then you must use the System Restore disc that shipped with your computer. Time Machine can return your computer to any state since you activated Time Machine.

Bottomline: Of the Windows users who switched to the Mac, most did so to end their Microsoft-induced worries. They did not do so in order to transfer their worries from Redmond to Cupertino.

Don't worry. Be happy. Buy a Mac.