Another Apple Event....Another Update Cycle Without Blu-Ray

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I don't understand it. If it costs so much than make it an optional component and shift 100% of the cost to the consumer.

Guess I will have to wait another 6+ months for their next update cycle. Maybe by Mac World Apple will have gotten with the times...oh wait...Apple isn't going to be at Mac World....

Guess I will have to wait another 12 months....maybe WWDC 2010....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ptysell View Post

I don't understand it. If it costs so much than make it an optional component and shift 100% of the cost to the consumer.

Guess I will have to wait another 6+ months for their next update cycle. Maybe by Mac World Apple will have gotten with the times...oh wait...Apple isn't going to be at Mac World....

Guess I will have to wait another 12 months....maybe WWDC 2010....

The only people I feel for are producers creating content and needing to deliver Blu-ray content to colleagues and clients. They need Blu-ray burning and production tools.

Consumers have other options and even though I have Blu-ray myself I just don't feel the need to pop'em in my computer. I may persue ripping my discs if I want movies to travel with but the expense of a BD player for consumer Macs just seems superfluous.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    ptysellptysell Posts: 18member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I may persue ripping my discs if I want movies to travel with but the expense of a BD player for consumer Macs just seems superfluous.

That would be *cough...cough* illegal.

What if you only have a PS3 and a bunch of Blu-Ray movies but no other computer to rip them on?

The point it there are people who want them. There is a demand for the product. It is not like a desktop upgrade where you can hop in the car, head to Frys, and pull off any Blu-Ray player you want off the shelf, and pop it in a spare 5.25" drive bay. It is a laptop and for the most part, you are stuck with the specs ordered.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ptysell View Post

That would be *cough...cough* illegal.

What if you only have a PS3 and a bunch of Blu-Ray movies but no other computer to rip them on?

The point it there are people who want them. There is a demand for the product. It is not like a desktop upgrade where you can hop in the car, head to Frys, and pull off any Blu-Ray player you want off the shelf, and pop it in a spare 5.25" drive bay. It is a laptop and for the most part, you are stuck with the specs ordered.

That's just it..there's no demand when taken in the context of the Mac market at large. Unlike the PC market where every little widget added is a marketing bulletpoint to keep the potential HP customer from jumping to a Dell and so one, Apple doesn't have to compete on how many widgets they can toss in.

There are no slot load BD players that will fit in a Unibody enclosure and if where were it would eat up more battery life than playing the content off the hard drive.

You know we're really moving to a point where you're content at home in digital form is going to be streamed to you wherever you are. There's no room to for optical formats in this more flexible future.

Note that even the BDA understands this and includes Digital Copy in some movies.