OS X Desktop App Store

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
With the success and ease of use of the iPhone/iPod touch App Store, I'm thinking that it's only a matter of time before Apple:

1) Creates an App Store for OS X desktop applications.

2) Allows iPhone/iPod touch apps to run on the OS X desktop in addition to those devices.

Most Linux distros have some kind of online package management systems (ex apt-get) that enable users to search for, install, update, and delete open source applications, as well as receive notifications of available updates.

iTunes already offers the infrastructure to enable this functionality.

With resolution independence on the horizon for OS X (no official announcements), they could allow iPhone/iPod touch apps to run on the desktop.

So why don't they do this? Well, I believe that they're already planning to.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

With resolution independence on the horizon for OS X (no official announcements), they could allow iPhone/iPod touch apps to run on the desktop.

How does resolution independence unify the telephone and desktop?

If it does, then I will realize my lifelong dream of using my iMac as a compass and my MacBook Pro as a carpenter's level.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

With the success and ease of use of the iPhone/iPod touch App Store, I'm thinking that it's only a matter of time before Apple:

1) Creates an App Store for OS X desktop applications.

2) Allows iPhone/iPod touch apps to run on the OS X desktop in addition to those devices.

Most Linux distros have some kind of online package management systems (ex apt-get) that enable users to search for, install, update, and delete open source applications, as well as receive notifications of available updates.

iTunes already offers the infrastructure to enable this functionality.

For me, there are a fair amount of shareware apps that I have not purchased because I don't know who these companies are and I don't trust that they will keep my credit card and other info safe. I would have purchased them from Apple if Apple then payed these companies without giving them my information.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    If they added this Desktop AppStore to the dock, it would be awesome. It could have been part of Snow Leopard and all. Not limiting people to make for the store, but allowing them the option. I don't know if we'll see anything like this until we see the infamous tablet.