Steve Jobs' Jackling mansion nightmare still not over

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Despite having received the go-ahead to demolish an aging mansion he owns in the hills of Woodside, California, Apple?s chief executive Steve Jobs has been called back to court again to fulfill the requirements of a 2006 court order.

A group of preservationists ? Uphold Our Heritage ? who oppose the razing of the Spanish Colonial Revival home, dubbed the Jackling House, submitted that Jobs has failed to comply with a 2006 court order to define the benefits of the demolition, as well as proving that other alternatives had been researched.

Just last month, it was reported that Steve Jobs was cleared for the second time to move forward with a decade-long initiative to tear down the 17,250-square-foot mansion following a vote of 6 to 1 in his favor during a local council meeting.

The proposed demolition of the mansion, located in California's Woodside hills, is subject to a final town council vote on the demolition permit scheduled for June 23. This final vote had been postponed because permit paperwork had not been ready.

According to Howard Ellman, a lawyer representing Jobs, it?s ?impossible to tell at this time? if the permit will be delayed by Uphold our Heritage?s filing. The town?s lawyers have advised that the vote still take place despite the preservationist group?s filing, though Doug Carstens, a laywer representing Uphold Our Heritage says, ?The proper thing to do is make sure the judge is satisfied before they think of demolishing anything.?

Last year, Jobs submitted a revised permit application to the council showing it would cost approximately $5 million more to restore sprawling mansion built in 1929 for copper mining mogul Daniel Jackling than it would to raze it and construct a smaller home for his family. The home features wrought iron detailing, exposed wood beam ceilings, and colorful accent tiling (photos).

Jobs purchased the blown-out mansion in the early 1980s and lived there -- sometimes eating his evening meals on the floor -- for about 10 years before renting it out and then leaving it to deteriorate.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 114
    crebcreb Posts: 276member
    It is such a terrible representation of the architectural style these preservationist seem to want to hold onto. Maybe Jobs will get lucky and a meteor will take it out saving on his demolition costs.
  • Reply 2 of 114
    buzdotsbuzdots Posts: 452member
    Nothing five gallons of gas and a match wouldn't cure!
  • Reply 3 of 114
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    See what happens when you leave out firewire on a MacBook?
  • Reply 4 of 114
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,462member
    it's jinxed, sell it.
  • Reply 5 of 114
    aduzikaduzik Posts: 94member
    I can't be the only one who finds these stories about Steve Jobs' mansion woes endlessly amusing.
  • Reply 6 of 114
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    It's a dump. I bet a lot of it is not only no longer up to code, but also dangerous to any occupants.

I'm all for preserving beautiful things of our past (like Pompeii, the Sistine Chapel frescoes, etc.), but this eyesore needs to go.
  • Reply 7 of 114
    donathiusdonathius Posts: 23member
    I'm with BuzDots. Just find an arsonist to do the job.
  • Reply 8 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Donathius View Post

I'm with BuzDots. Just find an arsonist to do the job.

Better yet- throw a Vista burning party like the old disco record flame out!
  • Reply 9 of 114
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CREB View Post

It is such a terrible representation of the architectural style these preservationist seem to want to hold onto.

Really? Are you an expert on these matters? Do you have any knowledge about them whatsoever?

One substantial inaccuracy in the posted story: The house was not "blown out" when Steve Jobs bought it. It only became "blown out" after he abandoned it.
  • Reply 10 of 114
    icarbonicarbon Posts: 196member
    Seems like a great opportunity is coming up -- with permission from the town council, he should just tear it down.

it is always better to ask forgiveness than permission.
  • Reply 11 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

Seems like a great opportunity is coming up -- with permission from the town council, he should just tear it down.

it is always better to ask forgiveness than permission.

Now, there's some really dumb advice.
  • Reply 12 of 114
    Does Apple still have some of those defective MacBook batteries?

I'm sure plenty of folks keep their laptop running around their gas collection...

Oops.
  • Reply 13 of 114
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

See what happens when you leave out firewire on a MacBook?

This doesn't make much sense considering they already put it back.
  • Reply 14 of 114
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

... it is always better to ask forgiveness than permission.

yeah, if you're twelve maybe.
  • Reply 15 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Really? Are you an expert on these matters? Do you have any knowledge about them whatsoever?

One substantial inaccuracy in the posted story: The house was not "blown out" when Steve Jobs bought it. It only became "blown out" after he abandoned it.

So what? It's his house and not the pyramids of Giza. No tight-pants club should have any say in the matter.
  • Reply 16 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wraithofwonder View Post

So what? It's his house and not the pyramids of Giza. No there but for the grace of God go I club should have any say in the matter.

Got any relevant comments?
  • Reply 17 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Got any relevant comments?

It being his house isn't relevant to you?

No wonder you don't understand. You think because its old that it somehow automatically becomes yours, becomes the community's. My God man, understanding is beyond you!
  • Reply 18 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wraithofwonder View Post

It being his house isn't relevant to you?

No wonder you don't understand. You think because its old that it somehow automatically becomes yours, becomes the community's. My God man, understanding is beyond you!

You're joking, right? Please tell me you are joking.
  • Reply 19 of 114
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Well I might be seen as the devils advocate here...

...but restored this house would be worth quite a bit of money. Most likely could be among one of the most expensive houses in the country.

Take a look at the facts and these links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_...ith_(architect)

http://www.luxist.com/2006/02/14/mon...te-of-the-day/

http://www.architect.com/Publish/GWS.html

http://www.sothebyshomes.com/socal/sales/0112960

http://www.sbestatehomes.com/listings/755eb.shtml

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Cowan_Jackling

http://www.friendsofthejacklinghouse.org/gallery.html

Also a clever person could easily Google Earth for Woodside City CA and find the Jackling House and move in for a 3D view.

The grounds are huge, there is a huge pool, gardens etc.

Worth more as a historic house, just needs the right person to bring back it's old charm like the other houses.

Steve Jobs is a techie, glass and metal is his cup of tea.

Steve should just sell it cheap and let someone else renovate it. Why bother with it now in his life is really a waste of time and a treasure could be lost.

But he got approval, he can bulldoze it if he wants too.
  • Reply 20 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

This doesn't make much sense considering they already put it back.

See what happens when you don't get an automatic iPhone upgrade year after year under a 2year contract?