New screenshot gallery shows more polished Snow Leopard

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
A new and extensive screenshot gallery taken from the near feature-complete build of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard distributed at this week's Apple developers conference shows off a more polished operating system nearing its final stretch of development.

The screenshots, published on MichaelFlux.com, were snapped from build 10A380, revealing a handful of previously unseen interface changes and other enhancements spread throughout the software and its bundled applications.

AppleInsider has extracted some of the more relevant shots from the gallery along with their descriptions, such as those showing Snow Leopard's new Stacks grid view, which has recently seen the addition of a transparent frame between the stack background and the drop shadow.

It's long been reported that Stacks displayed in grid view will allow you to jump from one folder to another without ever having to leave the Stack. However, Apple appears to have recently added a button at the top left-hand corner that lets you easily jump back to the parent directory -- or the "Applications" folder in the shots below -- similar to the back and forth buttons offered on iPhone navigation screens.

The Desktop & Screen Saver control panel now only renders thumbnails of available Desktop pictures that are in view, preserving system resources and cutting back on lag:

Icons for Folder Actions Setup now reside in Finder contextual menus:

Welcome improvements to the speed in which Mail renders IMAP mail indexes are also reported, though this discovery can be put up for debate given these advances are seen following a clean install of Mac OS X in which Mail's database is largely empty:

You can now make a note out of the selected text or have it spoken out loud and added to iTunes from Safari's contextual menus:

VoiceOver Utility has been completely overhauled with a sleek new interface that takes design cues from AirPort Utility:

The AirPort menu in Snow Leopard's menu bar now shows the signal strength of all available wireless networks:

Both Audio MIDI setup and Image Capture have seen their interfaces refreshed along the lines of AirPort Utility and VoiceOver Utility:

A new version of Apple's Preview app sports some snazzy new Contact Sheet and Annotation view modes:

And finally, a few more shots show off the new QuickTime X interface:

MichaelFlux.com also published an earlier and less revealing set of digital photos taken while installing the new Snow Leopard build:

Apple said early this week it will make Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard available in September as a $29 upgrade for all owners of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 137
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new and extensive screenshot gallery taken from the feature-complete build of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard.....

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Phil say it was a NEAR feature-complete build?

Also, I'm liking the muted pallet and scroll bars.
  • Reply 2 of 137
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Breathtaking!!!
  • Reply 3 of 137
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Looks beautiful! I hope all the backgrounds are available as seen in the screenshots.

This will be like getting a whole new Macbook for $29. That's the awesome part.
  • Reply 4 of 137
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Not really....
  • Reply 4 of 137
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Looks beautiful! I hope all the backgrounds are available as seen in the screenshots.

I'd say.

Pic of Snow Leopard cub at http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...eopard_Cub.jpg
  • Reply 6 of 137
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    Now if they can just strip out the last remnants of Aqua.
  • Reply 7 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Not really....

Snow Leopard increases speed across the entire system and for newly re-designed Apps that use the new technologies by between 50-130%. How isn't that getting a new computer for $30?
  • Reply 8 of 137
    macmadmacmad Posts: 62member
    Does this mean the interface used for Quicktime X won't be the 'marble' UI used across the whole OS? :-(
  • Reply 9 of 137
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Call me hopeful but I'm still looking for some new GUI love. I can't believe that they are actually going to release this thing with the same interface as regular Leopard.

I find it ridiculous (and very very hard to believe) that Apple would re-design the entire finder using Cocoa and RI, which basically means re-doing all the artwork and resources, and then carefully added the aqua "blue blob" stuff back in. Also what about all those rumours of scroll bars only activating when you hover over them? That was all scrapped?

Why would they do that? There is nothing attractive, innovative, or good about those aqua scroll bars anymore. They are almost ten years old at this point.

Also, the "black glass" stuff is so obviously just "tacked on" to the rest of the GUI. Why re-design the GUI from the ground up but leave even more visual inconsistencies than they already had? None of this makes any sense.

Why re-do all your hardware in black glass and grey aluminium, and then re-design only *half* of the GUI of the software to match, leaving the other half kind of ugly-retro looking beside it? Especially when the graphics work all had to be re-done anyway?

Like I said, I'm still hoping against hope that there will be a surprise on launch day because otherwise the $30 price tag is looking less like a deal and more like an unavoidable necessity considering this new Leopard is going to look pretty much exactly the same as the old Leopard.
  • Reply 10 of 137
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

Snow Leopard increases speed across the entire system and for newly re-designed Apps that use the new technologies by between 50-200%. How isn't that getting a new computer for $30?

200% faster?

It's like getting TWO new computers!

• Reply 11 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Call me hopeful but I'm still looking for some new GUI love. I can't believe that they are actually going to release this thing with the same interface as regular Leopard.

I find it ridiculous (and very very hard to believe) that Apple would re-design the entire finder using Cocoa and RI, which basically means re-doing all the artwork and resources, and then carefully added the aqua "blue blob" stuff back in. Also what about all those rumours of scroll bars only activating when you hover over them? That was all scrapped?

Why would they do that? There is nothing attractive, innovative, or good about those aqua scroll bars anymore. They are almost ten years old at this point.

Also, the "black glass" stuff is so obviously just "tacked on" to the rest of the GUI. Why re-design the GUI from the ground up but leave even more visual inconsistencies than they already had? None of this makes any sense.

Why re-do all your hardware in black glass and grey aluminium, and then re-design only *half* of the GUI of the software to match, leaving the other half kind of ugly-retro looking beside it? Especially when the graphics work all had to be re-done anyway?

Like I said, I'm still hoping against hope that there will be a surprise on launch day because otherwise the $30 price tag is looking less like a deal and more like an unavoidable necessity considering this new Leopard is going to look pretty much exactly the same as the old Leopard.

Go on then. Say Windows 7 looks better. I challenge you.

I can't believe people are still bitching for having to pay $30 to get a new computer.
  • Reply 12 of 137
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

Pretty much my feeling at this point. I thought it was dismaying that the article said that these screen shots were the "most revealing" of what we'll get from Snow Leopard. From this I take it that Snow Leopard is going to be a bit of a snooze. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but personally I'm completely lacking in anticipation of this release.
  • Reply 13 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

200% faster?

It's like getting TWO new computers!

Sorry about that. Edited.
  • Reply 14 of 137
    jcw5002jcw5002 Posts: 37member
    "The AirPort menu in Snow Leopard's menu bar now shows the signal strength of all available wireless networks"

FINALLY! My old Thinkpad had this 3 years ago. Glad to finally see it in OS X.

It looks AMAZING!
  • Reply 15 of 137
    quillzquillz Posts: 209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Phil say it was a NEAR feature-complete build?

Also, I'm liking the muted pallet and scroll bars.

The scroll bars are the same ugly-as-sin Aqua scroll bars we've had since Cheetah.

I still don't understand why they haven't been changed to match the iTunes scroll bars, which fit in much better with the Snow Leopard interface.
  • Reply 16 of 137
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    So now you can right-click the text of a snide forum comment, send to iTunes as speech, then rename it to .m4r and have it as your ringtone. In mere seconds!

This will change the way we use forums.

Quote:

I find it ridiculous (and very very hard to believe) that Apple would re-design the entire finder using Cocoa and RI, which basically means re-doing all the artwork and resources, and then carefully added the aqua "blue blob" stuff back in...

The aqua UI artwork was already IN Cocoa--nothing to add back in. The new Finder and everything else uses what Cocoa has built in.

In any case, even if redoing apps using old UI stuff WOULD mean lots of extra work... it's still clearly what they've done, because we've seen it (some if us have even used it) and it has the old artwork. Even if secret other artwork exists somewhere, the work to use the old artwork has been done too.

I'd like to see a new UI, and it would be cool (not for developers!) for Apple to surprise us with that in September. But I can see why Apple would reserve that for a BIG update (10.7).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

The scroll bars are the same ugly-as-sin Aqua scroll bars we've had since Cheetah.

I still don't understand why they haven't been changed to match the iTunes scroll bars, which fit in much better with the Snow Leopard interface.

I like either style OK, but the mix (iTunes not matching) is just weird!
  • Reply 17 of 137
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    I just wish they would add the ability to view animated GIF's in Preview and not have to resort to using a web browser, especially given the fact that when you download an animated GIF it defaults to Preview.
  • Reply 17 of 137
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Some people can't tell a difference, but a graphic designer can. Looking at iPhone OS 3.0 and Snow Leopard Apple paid every detail to font sizes and spacing. Snow Leopard is much clutter-free now. So simple. Shading and color have been toned down too, if you look at most menu buttons.

Really excited about this. Although there aren't any new "eye-candy" features this will be great update for everyone.
  • Reply 19 of 137
    quillzquillz Posts: 209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

Go on then. Say Windows 7 looks better. I challenge you.

I can't believe people are still bitching for having to pay $30 to get a new computer.

It's called opinion. I know it's hard to believe, but some people just flat out prefer Windows to Mac OS X.

Also, it's $30 for a new operating system... Not a new computer. And when you consider that Snow Leopard can only legally run on Apple hardware, you also have to factor in the hardware costs on top of the $30.
  • Reply 20 of 137
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Pretty much my feeling at this point. I thought it was dismaying that the article said that these screen shots were the "most revealing" of what we'll get from Snow Leopard. From this I take it that Snow Leopard is going to be a bit of a snooze. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but personally I'm completely lacking in anticipation of this release.

You people are not very grateful. Read up on Snow Leopard or watch the WWDC keynote. If you have not taken any time to notice what Apple is saying about this upgrade is that it is, for the most part, an under the hood upgrade. Apple didn't have to re-write the entire Finder in Cocoa but guess what? They did. That alone is worth 30 bucks.

30 Dollars is like going out to dinner twice a week.