Snow Leopard Is coming on a SD Card

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Just been told that all future mac hardware will be designed with the sd slot. Also Snow Leopard is gonna be shipped on sd cards. Inside info my friends. Bon Nuit

Comments

• Reply 1 of 100
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Bon bullshit. Maybe 2 years time, but not this time mate. Good "guess" though.
  • Reply 2 of 100
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by microdisiac View Post

Just been told that all future mac hardware will be designed with the sd slot. Also Snow Leopard is gonna be shipped on sd cards. Inside info my friends. Bon Nuit

That is totally awesome!

Then I can just take my card to an Apple Store if I'm having issues with software update. Or I can download a complete update onto a SD card and update all my Macs.

For ADC Apple will just send out a new SD card for those on the mailing list. Packing will be lighter and smaller.

Once you're done with the card you can erase and use as storage.

I figure in about 5 years I'll have enough SD cards laying around I won't need a tile back splash in the kitchen...they will just be a bunch of SD cards grouted together
  • Reply 3 of 100
    tilttilt Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I figure in about 5 years I'll have enough SD cards laying around I won't need a tile back splash in the kitchen...they will just be a bunch of SD cards grouted together

These will become the new AOL floppies and AOL CDs
  • Reply 4 of 100
    Everyone will always have a few SD's in their wallet, personal information ect.
  • Reply 5 of 100
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Strange Lulz View Post

nah, just stick 'em in the back of our heads, panther modern style.
  • Reply 6 of 100
    Well on the plus side we'll never run out of memory cards for our cameras.
  • Reply 7 of 100
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Strange Lulz View Post

I think that's a good idea because you'd only ever need one for all your data be it drivers license, bank cards, credit cards, store credit cards, digital gift vouchers. I know people get scared by the whole idea of having all information together but people do this anyway. I keep all this stuff in my wallet so losing one SD card is no worse than losing my wallet.

SD cards are a bit easier to lose though and I'd say this is the biggest problem using them for this stuff but they could always make a credit card sized holder and maybe retro-fit them to work in ATM machines.
  • Reply 8 of 100
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Et bons rêves.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

SD cards are a bit easier to lose though and I'd say this is the biggest problem using them for this stuff but they could always make a credit card sized holder and maybe retro-fit them to work in ATM machines.

I don't see an efficient solution to this problem. It is way too much easy to lose such a tiny card than your wallet. It is one of the cases where size really matters.

But I would very much like to see the optical drive in the portables soon abandoned, favoring the SD slot and other internal changes due to the space left.
  • Reply 9 of 100
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:

Bon Nuit

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

Et bons rêves.

It would be:

Bonne nuit et faites de beaux rêves.

(Beautiful instead of good for the dreams)
  • Reply 10 of 100
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjteix View Post

It would be:

Bonne nuit et faites de beaux rêves.

(Beautiful instead of good for the dreams)

SEPARATIST !

moving software to SD will make it easier to justify losing the optical drive, but third party software would have to do the same, or i would be necessary to own a USB dvd drive
  • Reply 11 of 100
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    I most assuredly don't want an SD card in my wallet. It would be a step backward in just about every way possible. I already have a pocket gadget with three wireless connectivity options and a standardized plug. If I truly need electronic data in my pocket, that's where it is going to be.

As for software distribution... seems like an expensive and inconvenient solution in search of a problem to solve.
  • Reply 12 of 100
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

SEPARATIST !

moving software to SD will make it easier to justify losing the optical drive, but third party software would have to do the same, or i would be necessary to own a USB dvd drive

THAT'S RIGHT!

I want the optical drive to be separated from the computer, especially the notebooks!

Let it be for dual HDD/SSD, or for a smaller form factor (10-11"), or for additional ports (Expresscard 2.0 or the AMD new thing, FW, USB on the right side).

Vive le portable libre sans ODD!

• Reply 13 of 100
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    That would be the thought that Apple will need an alternative distribution method for the coming tablets. I see the new SD slots as foretelling us how Apple expects to do system updates on diskless products. I'd give even odds that Apples coming tablets or netbooks will have SD slots in them.

So I don't discount this report. In the long run it makes a lot of sense. As Apple moves away from spinning storage they will need alternative distribution methods for the OS. I actually thought this would be USB dongles but now that these new MBP have come out I could see this as an alternative.

Dave
  • Reply 14 of 100
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

That would be the thought that Apple will need an alternative distribution method for the coming tablets. I see the new SD slots as foretelling us how Apple expects to do system updates on diskless products. I'd give even odds that Apples coming tablets or netbooks will have SD slots in them.

So I don't discount this report. In the long run it makes a lot of sense. As Apple moves away from spinning storage they will need alternative distribution methods for the OS. I actually thought this would be USB dongles but now that these new MBP have come out I could see this as an alternative.

Dave

Dave

All speculative hell is gonna break out if Apple mysteriously puts SD card slots in the next iMac refresh.
  • Reply 15 of 100
    This will go over really well..... trying to find a slot in my MBP to stick this thing.

If you watched the keynote you'll notice they show SL on a disc.
  • Reply 16 of 100
    Their software would be better delivered on an SD card too. Final Cut Studio comes on 8 DVDs and you have to go through that whole please insert the DVD SP disc, please insert the Motion disc, please insert the content disc - 9 freakin' times if you install all of it as you have to put the first disc back in at the end.

A single 32GB SD card would hold the whole lot and install in one go as well as copy the 32GB of data a lot quicker than it does from a set of DVDs.

When a superdrive runs fast, it will only copy one DVD in about 10 minutes, when it's not working so well it takes 20 minutes. An SD card will do the same transfer in 3 minutes at 20MB/s. This cuts an install down from over an hour to under 20 minutes.

You pay over £800 for the suite so you may as well get an option to pay an extra £30 (or whatever it costs Apple to buy the cards) to get the privilege of faster installs.
  • Reply 17 of 100
    Seems like your complaint is more specifically about DVD based distribution. SD cards aren't the only alternative though.

In my opinion, a USB thumb drive would be a better option than an SD card at this point.
  • Reply 18 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Seems like your complaint is more specifically about DVD based distribution. SD cards aren't the only alternative though.

In my opinion, a USB thumb drive would be a better option than an SD card at this point.

Perhaps but that doesn't push forward SD as a distribution format in its own right in order to displace optical drives. One problem I have with thumb drives is that they can break quite easily if the USB connector is stuck directly onto the USB stick and not using a cable.

Plus distributors will have to source pen drives from different manufacturers and could end up with a large variation in quality/styles. SD cards are just more standardized.
  • Reply 19 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Perhaps but that doesn't push forward SD as a distribution format in its own right in order to displace optical drives. One problem I have with thumb drives is that they can break quite easily if the USB connector is stuck directly onto the USB stick and not using a cable.

Plus distributors will have to source pen drives from different manufacturers and could end up with a large variation in quality/styles. SD cards are just more standardized.

That's a reasonable point but I'll have to respectfully disagree.

I've never seen a thumb drive break and only rarely seen a USB plug fail. Not that it doesn't happen, but rather that it is exceedingly rare. Certainly rarer than a scratched DVD. USB ports fail somewhat more frequently, but rarely plugs.

Since the advent of USB, i've held positions all the way from desktop support (in college) to an IT department manager (now). In all that time, I've never run across a failed thumb drive and only an occasional usb plug failure.

Nor would SD be more compatible than usb thumb drives. To make this an issue seems like a real stretch. People use USB thumb drives on a regular basis precisely because of their near flawless compatibility.

Finally, I'm not sure what you're referring to by "distributors will have to source pen drives from different manufacturers and could end up with a large variation in quality/styles. SD cards are just more standardized." There would be absolutely no problem with any software house sourcing usb thumb drives.

With all that said, i'm not even sure that either is a good idea. I'm inclined to believe that optical media will be the last ubiquitous physical distribution format for PC software. We might see dabbling with usb drives or SD cards, but it seems more likely that these will be rare as compared to licensed downloads.
  • Reply 20 of 100
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjteix View Post

THAT'S RIGHT!

I want the optical drive to be separated from the computer, especially the notebooks!

Let it be for dual HDD/SSD, or for a smaller form factor (10-11"), or for additional ports (Expresscard 2.0 or the AMD new thing, FW, USB on the right side).

Vive le portable libre sans ODD!

Haha!! Then I'm a separatist too!

While I would like to see an 11" I doubt we will ... because we have le portable sans ODD in the 13" air.