iPhone 3GS Matte Screen?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
With all the focus on what 'oleophobic coating' might actually mean, it does appear everyone's overlooked a significant aesthetic change in the iPhone 3GS: a matte/anti-glare screen finish.

Compare the photos on Apple's website today to those from the iPhone 3G:

iPhone 3G:

iPhone 3G S:

and consider these photos from Engadget that claim to be of an iPhone 3G S unboxing:

Notice that the screen doesn't act as a perfect mirror like the current 3g does?

This is a pretty big deal to me because the best accessory I've ever bought for my iPhone(s) has been the PowerSupport Anti-Glare screen protector.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    I wonder if the coating will also protect it against scratches.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Maybe the oleophobic coating diffuses the light better. It would be nice if this was the case and if it works well enough, they could apply it to all their glossy machines to help keep fingerprints off them.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Oleophobic: having or relating to a lack of strong affinity for oils

Main Entry: ole·o·pho·bic

Pronunciation: \\-ˈfō-bik\\

Function: adjective

It's designed to eliminate fingerprints... killing the glare is just a nice bonus feature.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    I have the power support antiglare screen protector as well and after getting it finally no more fingerprints on my iPhone screen. Pretty impressive...
  • Reply 5 of 6
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    So it looks like the screen is oleophobic as well? Interesting...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheManWithNoName View Post

Oleophobic: having or relating to a lack of strong affinity for oils

Main Entry: ole·o·pho·bic

Pronunciation: \\-ˈfō-bik\\

Function: adjective

It's designed to eliminate fingerprints... killing the glare is just a nice bonus feature.

• Reply 6 of 6
    docpregodocprego Posts: 54member
    I think this would be a terrific feature. My only concern is scratch resistance. The first thing I do when I get a new phone it to put a screen protector on it. We'll see when the reviews start rolling in.