Apple sees 11 million downloads of Safari 4 in three days

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple said Friday that more than 11 million copies of its new Safari 4 web browser have been downloaded in the first three days of its release, including more than six million downloads by users of Microsoft's Windows operating systems.

Introduced Monday following a multi-month public beta test, Apple bills Safari 4 as "the world's fastest, most innovative browser," saying its new Nitro JavaScript engine that executes JavaScript nearly eight times faster than IE 8 and more than four times faster than Firefox 3. The Cupertino, Calif-based company's test also show it to load HTML web pages more than three times faster than IE 8 and three times faster than Firefox 3.

"Safari 4 is an incredible success on Mac and Windows with more than 11 million downloads in the first three days," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "Safari users love the incredible speed and innovative features like Top Sites, Full History Search and Cover Flow."

Safari 4 includes HTML 5 support for offline technologies and showcases support for advanced CSS Effects, enabling an entirely new class of web applications that feature rich media, graphics and fonts. The Apple browser is also the first browser to pass the Web Standards Project's Acid3 test, which examines how well a browser adheres to CSS, JavaScript, XML and SVG standards that are specifically designed for dynamic web applications.

With the release of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard this September, Safari will run as a 64-bit application, boosting the performance of the Nitro JavaScript engine by up to 50 percent, Apple claims.

The new operating system will also make Safari more resistant to crashes by running plug-ins in a separate process, so even if a plug-in crashes, the browser continues to run and the user simply has to reload the affected page. Safari running on Snow Leopard also delivers HTTP streaming, making it easy to deliver high-quality audio and video in industry standard formats from any web server without the need for browser plug-ins.

Safari 4 is available for both Mac OS X and Windows as a free download at Apple's Safari website.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 100
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    I've been using it on my crappy work PC, and it actually runs pretty well. The betas were terrible.
  • Reply 2 of 100
    deanbardeanbar Posts: 113member
    Why have Apple removed such a useful feature as Snapback, in the url window. This used to save a convoluted navigation back to an original web page.

Come on Apple, please bring it back asap.
  • Reply 3 of 100
    deanbardeanbar Posts: 113member
    Why have Apple removed such a useful feature as Snapback, in the url window. This used to save a convoluted navigation back to an original web page.

• Reply 4 of 100
    replicantreplicant Posts: 121member
    Safari is great but like most people I prefer to use Firefox for its plugins and wait the extra seconds. If there is one thing Apple should learn from the success of the iPhone, it's that a vibrant developer community can only help, especially when you are trailing behind.

I am definitely looking to see more (free) plugins on Safari.
  • Reply 5 of 100
    voodooruvoodooru Posts: 70member
    eye candy and crashes. look forward to updates to stabilize it.

still prefer Firefox with the bookmarks side panel with open folders. CAN'T BE BEAT.
  • Reply 6 of 100
    bslaghtbslaght Posts: 40member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deanbar View Post

at least it is on my iMac w/ OS X 10.5.7? However I agree it does seem to be missing on my Vista box.
  • Reply 7 of 100
    pkguy323pkguy323 Posts: 14member
    I love the Safari 4 on my Mac. However, the Windows version at work crashes almost EVERY time I use it. Not a good thing if there are Windows users considering switching to Mac.
  • Reply 8 of 100
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Option: Tabs on Top. Please
  • Reply 9 of 100
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Congrats, Apple!
  • Reply 10 of 100
    mrobmrob Posts: 13member
    the new afari is crashing everytime I go to the online Apple store--why???

very frustrating!
  • Reply 11 of 100
    mrobmrob Posts: 13member
    the new safari crashes every time i visit the online Apple store--does anyone have an idea why this is happening or is it happening to anyone else?

this did not happen with the beta. . .

help!
  • Reply 12 of 100
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Dunno about anyone else but I found the beta quick and light on system resources, but now that I am using the non beta release I find it a big resource hog.
  • Reply 13 of 100
    cozagadacozagada Posts: 19member
    why are you guys repeating your posts ?
  • Reply 14 of 100
    cozagadacozagada Posts: 19member

are you typing on safari 4 ?
  • Reply 15 of 100
    bonklersbonklers Posts: 54member
    i hope they eventually match chrome in memory use, its ridiculous how much memory safari uses, it seems it uses more memory when you open new tabs and it is not reduced when you close the tabs.

I notice that the tab can be dragged out to its own window, BUT how can i drag that window back to the tabs?? That seems like a pretty common sense feature that should be available. the solution is INCLUDE THE OPTION to have the tabs on the title bar and make tabs show up even if there is only one window.

I had to do a hack to allow torrent files to open automatically on download, they should allow us to specify safe files in the preferences.

they should allow clearing cache on exit like firefox, and all the browsers should have search integrated in the address bar.

in the end i think i'll have no choice but to wait for chrome to hit the mac platform.
  • Reply 16 of 100
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:

"Safari 4 is an incredible success on Mac and Windows with more than 11 million downloads in the first three days," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "Safari users love the incredible speed and innovative features like Top Sites, Full History Search and Cover Flow."

I'll be the judge of Safari 4 THANK YOU PHIL!

And also, please tell me again how everyone "loves glossy displays"...

Pushy Phil, one size fit's all mentality.
  • Reply 17 of 100
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    I love this thread.
  • Reply 18 of 100
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    I love this thread. Yes I do.
  • Reply 19 of 100
    rei_vilorei_vilo Posts: 31member
    I contributed to this 11 million record. I downloaded Safari 4.0 and tested it on my iMac 20" G5 (I known, it's not the latest release). What I've found:

Heavy and slow program - more resources are used and the response time is slow, especially for additional features like the Topsites page.

Complicated interface - the address bar is a mess, combining too many buttons. The tabs are bigger so fewer pages could be opened simultaneously.

Poor ergonomics - there's no more a progress bar, but a nice message saying "Downloading". I want ergonomics back!

And the end of the day, I deleted Safari 4.0 and went back to Safari 3.2.3. Light and fast, ergonomic and reliable.

So 11,000,000 minus one = 10,999,999
  • Reply 20 of 100
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cozagada View Post

are you typing on safari 4 ?

Guess we found a bug in Safari 4...