New study shows iPhone users to be in a class by themselves

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
iPhone users are richer, younger, and perhaps even more productive at work than those who use competing smartphones, according to a new study released Friday.

The study ($750 fee) from independent market analysis company Forrester Research suggests iPhone users comprise the elite upper class of smartphone customers. The data was compiled from 32,228 working U.S. adults in 2008. It found that those who own an iPhone are typically more active on their phones and more connected to the internet than those who fell into generic “smartphone” or “mobile phone” categories.”

The study, compiled by Ted Schadler, found that iPhone users are “more than twice as likely to access the Internet from their phone as working BlackBerry, Palm, or Windows Mobile device owners.” The research was inspired by anecdotal comments from companies such as Kraft Foods and Oracle that implied employees have a personal drive to use an iPhone at work, even when one is not provided by the employer.

The research suggests that an employee with an iPhone could be more productive: Those who carry Apple’s handheld device are more likely to stay connected to their employer’s network. Workers with an iPhone also usually leave their laptop at work, suggesting the phone essentially replaces the need for a traditional full-form mobile computer.

When comparing customer Internet usage, the study shows that the iPhone blows away its competitors. 78 percent of iPhone users reported they access the Internet at least weekly on their phone, while only 38 percent of the rest of the smartphone market were on the mobile Web that often.

The report has been a long time in the making. The survey was first conducted a year and a half ago, when the iPhone had only been available for six months and its starting price of $500 was considered by many to be prohibitively high. With Apple announcing this week a $99 iPhone 3G (subsidized by carrier AT&T) the phone is expected to have even more mass-market penetration. Forrester Research, based in Cambridge, Mass., plans to re-visit the study this year to see how the iPhone’s user demographics may have changed.

Among the study’s other findings:

iPhone users are younger. 30 percent of iPhone users in 2008 were of Generation Y, a larger portion than the rest of the smartphone market.

iPhone users are more educated and affluent. 49 percent of iPhone users have a college education, and 67 percent earn more than $70,000 a year.

iPhone customers spend more on their service. The average monthly phone bill for an iPhone user was $87, compared to $76 for the smartphone market, and $66 for traditional mobile phone users.

Employers are slightly less likely to subsidize an iPhone. 24 percent of respondents with an iPhone said they are compensated by their employer for their phone bill, while 28 percent of smartphone users have their employee pay all or part of it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 72
    roos24roos24 Posts: 170member
    So what's new here?
  • Reply 2 of 72
    I dont think this is a good survey. What did they count as the mobile web? I have a smartphone and dont use the actual web that much but remote into work via remote desktop on the phone , use map software that accesses the web and youtube apps and things like that but dont access a web broswer that much.

I am a windows mobile smartphone user who preordered the iphone.

I see a lot of people who wouldnt normally have a smartphone with an iphone but i dont think the states are right on blackberry and windows mobile smartphone users.
  • Reply 3 of 72
    akf2000akf2000 Posts: 223member
    Fitter, happier, more productive, comfortable, not drinking too much, regular exercise at the gym
  • Reply 4 of 72
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

iPhone users are richer, younger, and perhaps even more productive at work than those who use competing smartphones, according to a new study released Friday....

Wow. As a "Gen V" person who isn't rich I'm in a distinct minority.

Maybe I should switch to WinMobile and start listening to Dinosaur Rock?
  • Reply 5 of 72
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Users of twidroids, please mind.
  • Reply 6 of 72
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    This seems about right. I'm older, poorer and not very productive at work and I haven't got one!
  • Reply 7 of 72
    graemegraeme Posts: 61member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allblue View Post

This seems about right. I'm older, poorer and not very productive at work and I haven't got one!

ha ha- was about to write the same words-older, poorer and not very productive with the addition that i have an do iPhone so i must be in my very own class!
  • Reply 8 of 72
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

I dont think this is a good survey. What did they count as the mobile web? I have a smartphone and dont use the actual web that much but remote into work via remote desktop on the phone , use map software that accesses the web and youtube apps and things like that but dont access a web broswer that much.

Someone with that behavior wouldn't show up on their survey. Nor should you, because the number of people doing that sort of thing is so small as to be unmeasurable anyway.
  • Reply 9 of 72
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    I don't make 70k a year +, didn't go to college, am 30 and own iPhones. I use it heavily for work, since I work mostly in the field and rely on it for almost everything except basic features like tethering and MMS. I wouldn't trade my phone for anything, well almost anything,
  • Reply 10 of 72
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akf2000 View Post

Fitter, happier, more productive, comfortable, not drinking too much, regular exercise at the gym

A pig in a cage on antibiotics.
  • Reply 11 of 72
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    So rich young people with enough money for expensive data plans are buying latest and greatest (and expensive) cool phone.

I am so shocked.

So what is next? British Queen is driving in Rolse Royce..?
  • Reply 12 of 72
    It makes sense but I'm in NY and my younger employees make fun of my iphone all of the time because it was such a behemoth of an expense (OG Iphone). They really don't think it's that cool.

I was thinking their attitude, was the beginning of a breakdown, in mass-consumption in the youth culture but these number imply that there are a bunch of rich kids who want this crap as badly as their older counterparts. I thought the kids we're more hip than that.

I hope they make it much harder for ad execs like myself to sell crap to them and I hope they don't start thinking I'm not paying them enough so hey can buy their own iphone.
  • Reply 13 of 72
    These numbers are taken from a 2008 poll.

This is June 2009. Since that time there have been far to many new smart phones released for these numbers to even be considered relevant.

Old news articles don't reflect current market trends.
  • Reply 14 of 72
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Wow. As a "Gen V" person who isn't rich I'm in a distinct minority.

Maybe I should switch to WinMobile and start listening to Dinosaur Rock?

Generation V? I don't think that's an actual term... I believe it's the "Baby Boom Generation."
  • Reply 15 of 72
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Well obviously.
  • Reply 16 of 72
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:

The average monthly phone bill for an iPhone user was $87

Wow! That amazes me if true. And if that's the average, with the low end being $69, then a lot of people are higher than $87!

They must rely on SMS a LOT and talk WAY more than I do. I feel like I'm on my iPhone constantly, but with some of being evening minutes and in-network minutes, I never use up the included minutes. I just accumulate--so even if my habits change I have a huge cushion.
  • Reply 17 of 72
    Also where did they get there iphone and smartphone prices from? I currently have an att fuze and will be getting the iphone 3gs. Cost wise it will be the same per month. So i dont see how the bills can come out differently.
  • Reply 18 of 72
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Well, my patients certainly skew the data. I work at a federally funded free clinic where everyone is on welfare (not kidding) and just about every mom that I see (Pediatrics is one of my Board certifications) has an iPhone. I can't even afford an iPhone!

Baby mamas keeping Apple afloat!
  • Reply 19 of 72
    bigmc6000bigmc6000 Posts: 767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Wow! That amazes me if true. And if that's the average, with the low end being $69, then a lot of people are higher than $87!

They must rely on SMS a LOT and talk WAY more than I do. I feel like I'm on my iPhone constantly, but with some of being evening minutes and in-network minutes, I never use up the included minutes. I just accumulate--so even if my habits change I have a huge cushion.

It actually says an average of $87 spent on ALL mobile phones so I'm not really sure it's $87 per iPhone account - seems fuzzy when they say "all mobile phones" because if you have more than 1 I'm sure you pay more than $87 a month.
  • Reply 20 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Seahawk Fan 2 View Post

These numbers are taken from a 2008 poll.

This is June 2009. Since that time there have been far to many new smart phones released for these numbers to even be considered relevant.

Old news articles don't reflect current market trends.

I agree. It doesn't seem like any sort of revelation that a survey that was conducted when the iPhone could only be had for $499 and a minimum $70 monthly service fee would show that it was mostly being purchased by people with higher incomes. Nor does the fact they made more use of the internet; if I plunked down $500 for a device, I'd be darn sure I used it frequently as well at least initially (I'm looking at you, $500 PS3 that now sits mostly idle and even then mostly for movie watching). And again not much of a shocker that most purchasers were young males who are ALWAYS the majority demographic when it comes to new electronic gadgets.

The real title of the article should be "Survey states the obvious about early iPhone adopters."