Moving to, living and working in Hong Kong or Singapore?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
I'm giving some thought to moving to and living in Hong Kong or Singapore. I wonder if there's anyone here that currently does or has in the past and can give any advice and counsel. There are so many questions to ask (and probably many I don't even know to ask) that it is almost pointless to list them here. If you have done this, then you surely know the problems and pitfalls as well as the benefits and rewards.

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    Wow, cool!

Having lived in Brazil for 2 years, I always thought it would be a neat experience to live in a place like Macau (west of Hong Kong on the other side of the Pearl River Delta and also a special administrative region) where my Portuguese would come in handy.

Living in Hong Kong or Singapore, you'd certainly have the benefit of being in a region poised to make a massive economic rebound from the world recession.

Any particular reasons for considering the move?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Wow, cool!

We'll see. It seems like an exciting idea. Trying to get a feel for the reality of it all. :-)

Quote:

Having lived in Brazil for 2 years, I always thought it would be a neat experience to live in a place like Macau (west of Hong Kong on the other side of the Pearl River Delta and also a special administrative region) where my Portuguese would come in handy.

How do you like Brazil? What has you there? Job? Family? Just wanted to do it?

Quote:

Living in Hong Kong or Singapore, you'd certainly have the benefit of being in a region poised to make a massive economic rebound from the world recession.

I agree. Although China clearly has a long, long way to go, it is heading in the right direction. Asia appears to be the future, as it were.

Quote:

Any particular reasons for considering the move?

Political. Economic. Vision of the future (as stated above). Adventure.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by involuntary_serf View Post

We'll see. It seems like an exciting idea. Trying to get a feel for the reality of it all. :-)

Well it will certainly be different. Somethings probably better, other things probably not as good. But what an amazing experience it would be. It certainly is eye-opening when you live outside the U.S. and you're able to see what happens through the eyes of a different culture. It'd be an amazing and life-changing experience, for sure.

Quote:

How do you like Brazil? What has you there? Job? Family? Just wanted to do it?

I love Brazil. I lived there from December 2000 to December 2002 and was a full-time missionary for my church. And yes, I very much wanted to do it. I lived in the state of Rio Grande do Sul, the western half of the state. Rolling, hilly green farmland as far as the eye can see. The smallest city I lived in had about 40,000 people in it. The largest I lived in had 150,000.

I love the Brazilian people. We'd be making random visits to people we had never met before and more often than not they'd invite us inside, offer us water or a soda or something to eat, make small talk with us for a while, and eventually get around to asking us why we had come to visit.

The poor class is the dominant class there. Poverty is pervasive, yet the Brazilian people in general seem to be happy and very proud of their country (especially when it comes to futebol). There are also middle class and wealthy folks there, and most larger cities have all the amenities, medical facilities, infrastructure, etc. that larger cities in any other developed nation would have.

There aren't as many cars as in the US. Most people use bikes, public transportation, or walk to get around. Public transportation even in small towns is extremely good there.

I've got 2 years worth of observations and experiences written down in my journal, as well as photos galore. This is making me want to dig them all out again and revel in the memories.

Quote:

I agree. Although China clearly has a long, long way to go, it is heading in the right direction. Asia appears to be the future, as it were.

Definitely. If they stopped lending to the US, we'd be in the crapper. Well...further down the crapper.

Quote:

Political. Economic. Vision of the future (as stated above). Adventure.

You're making me want to learn more about Hong Kong and Singapore!
  • Reply 4 of 4
    I moved from Southern California to HK 13 and a half years ago, so I've got plenty of input to share with regard to this topic.

Unfortunately, it'll probably have to be tomorrow, as I'm going out to a rave party tonight...