Ram upgrade worth it? Macbook C2Duo 2.0g

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
hi peeps,

i have a macbook core2duo 2.0ghz bought late 2007. it currently runs on 2gb of ddr2 667mhz ram. i do not think that the machine supports the latest ddr3.

so the question is :

is it worth it to upgrade to 4gb ddr2 667 (or 800 if its compatible) since ddr3 is already out?

thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    For all practical purposes I don't think it's possible to have too much ram (assuming a given machine can make use of it). DDR2 or DDR3 notwithstanding, more ram means less disc swapping means snappier.

The jump from 2 to 4GB can really speed things up, IME, especially if you're working with image or video files.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    greglogreglo Posts: 63member
    It depends on what you do, and how long you intend to keep the computer. RAM is pretty cheap though, so if you do a lot of memory intensive work and don't intend to buy a new one soon, might as well go for it.

Don't forget to check what your current configuration is - 1 x 2GB chip, or 2 x 1GB chip.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by greglo View Post

It depends on what you do, and how long you intend to keep the computer. RAM is pretty cheap though, so if you do a lot of memory intensive work and don't intend to buy a new one soon, might as well go for it.

Don't forget to check what your current configuration is - 1 x 2GB chip, or 2 x 1GB chip.

If it's stock it'll be 2x 1GB.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dracorealms View Post

i have a macbook core2duo 2.0ghz bought late 2007. it currently runs on 2gb of ddr2 667mhz ram. i do not think that the machine supports the latest ddr3.

so the question is :

is it worth it to upgrade to 4gb ddr2 667 (or 800 if its compatible) since ddr3 is already out?

I would say it depends on what you do. I don't really see a difference between 2GB and 4GB for everyday tasks. If you run virtualization software, some of the Adobe CS Suite or other higher end apps then you may see a benefit.

To see if your machine supports 4GB check your model number on Crucial.com. The late 2007 models MB061LL/B support 4GB:

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...29%20MB061LL/B

But the mid-2007 models MB061LL/A do not:

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...29%20MB061LL/A

I think this was due to the switch to the Santa Rosa chipset or something. If you check your system profiler (apple menu > about this mac > more info) and click graphics, check if you have the X3100 chip or the GMA950. If it's the X3100, you can get 4GB.