Apple releases iPhone Software 3.0

1131415161719»

Comments

• Reply 361 of 380
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DimMok View Post

I agree.

Apple is crazy to think I would want to replace my 1G Iphone with this "New" one. Honestly can say there is nothing worth the upgrade.....Que next year.

If only it was faster than the Pre, then that would be something.
  • Reply 362 of 380
    macaloymacaloy Posts: 104member
    Quote:

I agree.

Apple is crazy to think I would want to replace my 1G Iphone with this "New" one. Honestly can say there is nothing worth the upgrade.....Que next year.

I am skipping this recent update because I agree that there is not enough to warrant paying $599 for another phone

But in terms of the original iPhone, I would upgrade in a heartbeat over that. Space jump is significant, 3G network, and other features.
  • Reply 363 of 380
    I don't think Apple was counting on every 3G owner upgrading ( and there is no reason for them to have done so). How many MacBook owners update each year or each update series? They created a slightly better device with a few new features that will attract some 3G owners, many new users and possibly lots of 1st gen iPhone owners who have now come to the end of their contracts.Why are they continuing to sell the 3G? Because it is a good phone that satisfies many peoples needs, especially with OS 3.0.
  • Reply 364 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

I don't think Apple was counting on every 3G owner upgrading ( and there is no reason for them to have done so). How many MacBook owners update each year or each update series? They created a slightly better device with a few new features that will attract some 3G owners, many new users and possibly lots of 1st gen iPhone owners who have now come to the end of their contracts.Why are they continuing to sell the 3G? Because it is a good phone that satisfies many peoples needs, especially with OS 3.0.

For some unusual reason, there seems to a fairly large group of people that each of Apple?s to add a million new features and make products a million times faster with each incremental update.
  • Reply 365 of 380
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacAloy View Post

I am skipping this recent update because I agree that there is not enough to warrant paying $599 for another phone

But in terms of the original iPhone, I would upgrade in a heartbeat over that. Space jump is significant, 3G network, and other features.

Perhaps...but where I live we have no 3G.....yet.
  • Reply 366 of 380
    macaloymacaloy Posts: 104member
    Quote:

Perhaps...but where I live we have no 3G.....yet.

Damn, where do you live?
  • Reply 367 of 380
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacAloy View Post

Damn, where do you live?

If you think that's bad, there are plenty of towns with no mobile coverage at all!

(mountainous rural areas)
  • Reply 368 of 380
    don't have time to read the entire thread, but has anyone tried using the bluetooth with Stereo headphones yet? I have and am not exactly pleased, while yes, I can now hear music in both ears, I cannot use the full A2DP functionality of my motorola S9s, the rwd/fwd skip track buttons don't (skip that is)....anyone else had any issues? \
  • Reply 369 of 380
    First of all, my battery performance was worse on 3.0 than on 2.2. Things are faster, especially Safari, but listening to music for some reason not only took up a lot more memory when caching for the next song, but was draining at about an hour for every 20% of juice. That's about 5 hours of music. I don't know what the problem is and I've switched off Push and it still has that problem (wifi was off too).

Which brings me to my next point, I don't see an option for battery percentage on the first gen iPod Touch.

Another thing I noticed which I think is pretty big is the removal of one of the touted features of the auto-correction function in the Multi-Touch keyboard: the "larger" key". The demonstration for it was when you typed "time", the keyboard would know that there couldn't possibly be either 'w' or 'r' so if you accidentally hit either of those, it would only select 'e'. Great feature, but it was taken away. Maybe that means Apple realized people liked the ability to type any key without restraint and instead be given a choice to auto-correct LATER instead of immediately. Maybe Apple realized that some of its customers aren't really spelling-crazy in the wayy they text. Just a thought.
  • Reply 370 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geofflee21 View Post

Which brings me to my next point, I don't see an option for battery percentage on the first gen iPod Touch.

This appears to be a HW change in the way the system can read the battery more accurately.
  • Reply 371 of 380
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:

Another thing I noticed which I think is pretty big is the removal of one of the touted features of the auto-correction function in the Multi-Touch keyboard: the "larger" key". The demonstration for it was when you typed "time", the keyboard would know that there couldn't possibly be either 'w' or 'r' so if you accidentally hit either of those, it would only select 'e'. Great feature, but it was taken away. Maybe that means Apple realized people liked the ability to type any key without restraint and instead be given a choice to auto-correct LATER instead of immediately. Maybe Apple realized that some of its customers aren't really spelling-crazy in the wayy they text. Just a thought.

If I type timr it still auto-corrects to time for me. Original iPhone on 3.0 here.
  • Reply 372 of 380
    trajectorytrajectory Posts: 647member
    There's some kind of bug in the Mail app that caused my iPhone 3G to completely hang, requiring a hard reboot.

When I turned my phone on, it went back to the open Mail app automatically, and I noticed that it flipped to the wide view. After it did that, my phone completely froze.

I am also noticing that the typing lag is back on 3G phones when typing into text boxes on web forms. But, it appears they fixed the problem with the backspace removing an entire line of text, although that may simply be due to the lag problem.
  • Reply 373 of 380
    resnycresnyc Posts: 90member
    I was one who was incredulous that these weren't part of the original software, but now that we have them, I can honestly say my experience with a Blackberry (used until I got iPhone about 3 months ago) is now surpassed in every way I can think of. I can now type at least as fast, maybe faster, on iPhone, even with my Neanderthal thumbs. And the iPhone's cut&paste functionality is easier to use and more powerful than BB's.

But recently I canceled my Mobile Me account, after the free trial, because SaiSuke (which is gorgeous) and SynchInABlink do the same job, through Gmail, for a one-time $15, compared to $100/year for MMe. Another post did say that Apple doesn't "get" the Cloud, and I think this $100 fee shows that. Between free Gmail/Yahoo/Hotmail, synching apps and so on, who needs Mobile Me? I'd actually like to know, does anyone really love it?
  • Reply 374 of 380
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Please don't use so much BOLD at one time. It's very unpleasant.
  • Reply 375 of 380
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    MobileMe does far more than only synching and email. It can be a web server. It can be used as back up storage. It allows you to share photo and video gallaries. It makes it easy to store and share large amounts of information. As well as locating and wiping your lost iPhone. Of course if none of that is of value to you then yes the $99 could be too much.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by resnyc View Post

But recently I canceled my Mobile Me account, after the free trial, because SaiSuke (which is gorgeous) and SynchInABlink do the same job, through Gmail, for a one-time $15, compared to $100/year for MMe. Another post did say that Apple doesn't "get" the Cloud, and I think this $100 fee shows that. Between free Gmail/Yahoo/Hotmail, synching apps and so on, who needs Mobile Me? I'd actually like to know, does anyone really love it?

• Reply 376 of 380
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jjpup View Post

Servers were definitely overwhelmed. For once, a time when you can say "there were like a million people tappin' the update" and mean it.

My initial backup of my iPhone missed all my apps, music, and videos. My pictures and histories (texting, notes, email, etc.) all were retained after I updated to 3.0. I had to do another sync to get all my apps, music, and videos back, but after a bit of time- everything was back, even the original placement of my apps. I got a prompt asking me to "merge my data with existing" or "replace". I, of course, chose "merge" and I just let it do its thing.

My backup takes forever. It used to be done in a few minutes on 2.1. On 3.0 it's like 1/2 hour.

EDIT: I had the merge/replace issue too. At least twice...then it went away.
  • Reply 377 of 380
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    You've likely added more stuff on your phone since 2.1

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

My backup takes forever. It used to be done in a few minutes on 2.1. On 3.0 it's like 1/2 hour.

• Reply 378 of 380
    I paid 9.95 to upgrade my iTouch to OS 2.0 less than 3 weeks before OS 3.0 was released. Apple will not give me a free upgrade. Why the free upgrade to OS 3.0 for iPhone users and not iTouch? What's the big difference? Not good customer service if you ask me.
  • Reply 379 of 380
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beijingren View Post

I paid 9.95 to upgrade my iTouch to OS 2.0 less than 3 weeks before OS 3.0 was released. Apple will not give me a free upgrade. Why the free upgrade to OS 3.0 for iPhone users and not iTouch? What's the big difference? Not good customer service if you ask me.

i was going to upgrade a friend's iPod Touch recently and remembered 3.0 was coming soon so held off. it's the luck of the draw unless you find somewhere like AI where you can do a bit of research before spending your money.
  • Reply 380 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beijingren View Post

The iPhone is under a service contract whereas the iPod is sold as a finished sale. Sorta like the OS for your computer: a service upgrade only jumps a decimal number, whereas a full upgrade with new feature sets cost money.

This was discussed last year:

[url]http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=85108