Apple stores to sell iPhone 3G S at 7 a.m.; Safari 4.0.1, Bluetooth 2.0

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Having already promised to open its retail stores early, Apple now says that all its available stores will start selling the iPhone 3G S even earlier than expected. Also, the Mac maker has released Safari 4.0.1 and Bluetooth Firmware Update 2.0.

Apple to sell new iPhone in stores at 7.a.m Friday

Not to be outdone by AT&T's 7 a.m. pre-order pickup on the iPhone 3G S launch day, Apple on Wednesday moved its doors-open time to 7 a.m., an hour ahead of the previous schedule.

Unlike AT&T, Apple isn't saving the early line for those already committed to an iPhone and will let on-the-spot purchasers buy an iPhone at that time in addition to those who already signed up for service at home. Apple also expects this timeframe to hold across all countries rather than just the US, which should lead to some of the countries in the first wave of the iPhone launch receiving their units before those in North America have fallen asleep.

In the US, six Apple retail stores will be closed for remodeling at the time of the launch.

Apple releases Safari 4.0.1

Just a week after the introduction of Safari 4 itself, Apple has patched it with Safari 4.0.1 (web link not yet available).

The update mends compatibility problems between the new Safari and certain iPhoto '09 features, particularly integration with Places and publishing photos directly to Facebook. Other bug fixes havent' been mentioned.

As of this writing, 4.0.1 is only available through Software Update.

Apple posts Bluetooth Firmware Update 2.0

A lower-key update has come Wednesday evening in the form of Bluetooth Firmware Update 2.0 (1.8MB).

Upgrading provides various bug fixes but is targeted at compatibility between certain Macs and both the Wireless Mighty Mouse as well as the Wireless Keyboard.

Only Macs with a Broadcom-made Bluetooth chipset will see the update. Installing requires Mac OS X 10.5.7 or later.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    I guess its too much to hope for bug fixes (for Safari 4) this quick?
  • Reply 2 of 37
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    As soon as tabs on top are back just gimme a call...
  • Reply 3 of 37
    I wont be updating to Safari 4 (final) until they add the option to use Top Menu Bar Tabs. I'll use Safari 4 Beta until I can't, and if they don't add this option back in, I'll just go back to using Camino if I have to use bottom tabs again.
  • Reply 4 of 37
    Bluetooth firmware update also makes it possible for MacBook Air (I have a first gen) to be tethered to iPhone via BT successfully.
  • Reply 5 of 37
    robb01robb01 Posts: 148member
    I'll be there

• Reply 6 of 37
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Apple stores in Canada don't sell iPhones right? I'd love to get an iphone before work but rogers/fido stores don't open until I start work

Anyone know what the availability will be like? Will I be able to get an iPhone later in the day?
  • Reply 7 of 37
    rutigerrutiger Posts: 4member
    was hoping the bt update would fix my macbook unibody/iphone issue. nope. pretty ridiculous that a new mac laptop and iphone can't talk over bt.
  • Reply 8 of 37
    This is long overdue!!!!!

My keyboard kept disconnecting and reconnecting

And every time i put my mac to sleep the keyboard kept waking the mac up due to disconnect and reconnect..

Went to the apple store on Saturday and they gave me a new keyboard.

That fixed the problem so i wont update to the new firmware until i run into problems.
  • Reply 9 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Apple stores in Canada don't sell iPhones right? I'd love to get an iphone before work but rogers/fido stores don't open until I start work

Anyone know what the availability will be like? Will I be able to get an iPhone later in the day?

I have a friend who's looking to get an iPhone and he was saying as far as he knows, you can't get one in an Apple store. He pointed it out because he was wondering what Rogers had to do to get a deal like that.

It doesn't say anything about availability on the Rogers website as far as I can see. Maybe you can call ahead to ask? It does, however, say that the iPhone will be available "wherever Rogers Smartphone's [sic] are sold", so maybe you can pick it up somewhere else closer to work during a break.
  • Reply 10 of 37
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MrENGLISH? View Post

I wont be updating to Safari 4 (final) until they add the option to use Top Menu Bar Tabs. I'll use Safari 4 Beta until I can't, and if they don't add this option back in, I'll just go back to using Camino if I have to use bottom tabs again.

Do you think anyone cares about such a frivolous issue?
  • Reply 11 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

You cared enough to reply
  • Reply 12 of 37
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by super8sean View Post

This is long overdue!!!!!

My keyboard kept disconnecting and reconnecting

And every time i put my mac to sleep the keyboard kept waking the mac up due to disconnect and reconnect..

Went to the apple store on Saturday and they gave me a new keyboard.

That fixed the problem so i wont update to the new firmware until i run into problems.

I have the same problem with my mighty mouse and MBP. The mouse keep disconnecting and I have to turn off the bluetooth and back on again to get it to connect again. I hope this will fix it.
  • Reply 13 of 37
    aduzikaduzik Posts: 94member
    The Bluetooth update makes the original MacBook Air work with Bluetooth tethering with iPhone OS 3.0. I hear.
  • Reply 14 of 37
    I do not see the Safari update, or any updates at all for that matter, in Software Update on any of my machines.
  • Reply 15 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Silverflyer View Post

I do not see the Safari update, or any updates at all for that matter, in Software Update on any of my machines.

I'm updating right now.
  • Reply 16 of 37
    Is anyone with Tiger able to get the safari 4.0.1? I still do not see anything in software update, and Safari says it is at version 4.0, not 4.0.1
  • Reply 17 of 37
    heffequeheffeque Posts: 139member
    I hope it fixes my problems with my Toshiba Bluetooth mouse. Every once in a while, in Leopard (never in XP) the Bluetooth in my MBP would freeze. When shutting down I'd have to manually power it down because it wouldn't shut down by itself because of the Bluetooth malfunction. If in a day or two it gives me no problems... I'll be a happy man
  • Reply 18 of 37
    I'm glad they released this quickly after releasing safari 4. The first thing I noticed was iPhoto's facebook uploader not logging in and simply locking up until the close button was hit.

At first I thought it was an iPhoto problem as that program was updated at the same time safari 4 was released.

Thanks apple for resolving the issue quickly.
  • Reply 19 of 37
    mac_fumac_fu Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Like Obama said 'YES WE CAN!' - check out Apple Canada's store page - http://www.apple.com/ca/iphone/buy/ AND see important info here (read the fine grey print at the bottom) http://www.apple.com/ca/retail/iphone/

And from the forums I've read, here http://www.ehmac.ca/ipod-itunes-ipho...es-canada.html

and here http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2009/06...retail-canada/ (read the comments near the bottom)

From all this intel, I've gathered that you CAN buy an iPhone at an Apple Store; sign up for a 'personal shopping' appointment on launch day; create a new Rogers account on site to get the #$99/199/299 pricing OR you can pay the full price between $599/699/799. Of course ALL phones need a Rogers/Fido account and will be locked otherwise.

Good hunting.
  • Reply 20 of 37
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Yes. Quite a few users liked the idea. If you don't want to deal with "frivolous issues", buy a PC.