Ethernet to iPhone?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Does one know how I can share my macbooks ethernet connection with my iPhone?

Thanks

Chris

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    From the network preferences you can set the mac to share it's network connection over wifi.

But I find it far preferable to let a router/wifi-node initiate the internet connection and then have both the Mac and the iPhone connect to the router.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

From the network preferences you can set the mac to share it's network connection over wifi.

But I find it far preferable to let a router/wifi-node initiate the internet connection and then have both the Mac and the iPhone connect to the router.

Thats the problem I don't have a router to send the Internet through. My laptop is directly connected to a flat LAN network. Unless I can share the Internet through my laptops wi-fi?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChrisDaMacMan View Post

Thats the problem I don't have a router to send the Internet through. My laptop is directly connected to a flat LAN network. Unless I can share the Internet through my laptops wi-fi?

That's what the Internet Sharing option does but a router is more stable. I find Internet Sharing to be a bit flakey - after disconnecting, the iphone doesn't always reconnect without clearing the wifi setting on the iphone.

Anyway, all you have to do is set your machine to share your connection from ethernet to devices on airport and start sharing. If you want it encrypted, some mobile devices require passwords of a certain length depending on the type of encryption. I can't remember if this applies to the iphone but I know the PSP required this.