Catch-up iPod Touch S and one more (tablet-like) thing - Jobs-style

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Reasoning:

1) The iPod Touch is now due for an update, given that it has fallen behind its sibling iPhone.

2) This is now likely to happen under the third age of Jobs, i.e anytime from the end of June 2009

3) It has become known of late that Apple has invested heavily in GPS navigation technologies and IP

4) The current iPod Touch / iPhone is too small to be used as a screen in the car

5) Movies! iTunes offers massive video content now but the iPhone / Touch screen is too small for sensible viewing

6) No one wants a 'tablet' phone. An Apple tablet device will be like an iPod Touch

7) Apple has always stressed that iPhone / Touch apps should be resolution independent

8) Jobs is about to return

9) The market wants it

10) Steve Jobs is about to return

QED

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    timmilleatimmillea Posts: 244member
    ... and to pacify, satisfy and electrify those expecting a Mac OS tablet...

it will actually run both - iPhone OS or Mac OS X. (loads of detail to convince the unsuspecting)

Cue demo.....

[Gasps from the audience, followed by applause, tech-lust and Jobs-adulation].
  • Reply 2 of 20
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timmillea View Post

... and to pacify, satisfy and electrify those expecting a Mac OS tablet...

it will actually run both - iPhone OS or Mac OS X. (loads of detail to convince the unsuspecting)

Cue demo.....

[Gasps from the audience, followed by applause, tech-lust and Jobs-adulation].

Oh there will be Gasps from the audience, followed by applause, tech-lust and Jobs-adulation that is for sure.

But I sincerely believe it is going to run a hybrid OS that has elements from the iphone OS and the MAC OS.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timmillea

Steve Jobs is about to return.

Contrary to popular belief, Steve Jobs is not Jesus.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Thats for sure.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timmillea View Post

Reasoning:

1) The iPod Touch is now due for an update, given that it has fallen behind its sibling iPhone.

no reasoning here, Touch and iPod updates have always arrived late summer early fall.

What is coming as far as Touch goes is an interesting question. There is certainly room for multiple devices.

Quote:

2) This is now likely to happen under the third age of Jobs, i.e anytime from the end of June 2009

what is likely?

Do you mean a tablet? If so clear up what you are saying. In any event Apple has a schedule to keep with Steve around or not.

Quote:

3) It has become known of late that Apple has invested heavily in GPS navigation technologies and IP

So have a lot of companies. Again what are you trying to say?

Quote:

4) The current iPod Touch / iPhone is too small to be used as a screen in the car

not really it is about the same size as nany in car navigation units. But again what are you saying here, that larger screen Touch devices are coming? If so I'm shocked to hear that - no really it's never been brought up before.

Quote:

5) Movies! iTunes offers massive video content now but the iPhone / Touch screen is too small for sensible viewing

Some people consider their 46" screen to small for sensible viewing.

Quote:

6) No one wants a 'tablet' phone. An Apple tablet device will be like an iPod Touch

Speak for yourself! First the current iPhone is a tablet! Second a slightly larger one would be very attractive to this guy. If modeled on the current iPhone it would still be a tablet. In any event there is virtually no difference between Touch and iPhone as far as the devices being tablets go. Obviously different internal hardware to support 3G but both tablets otherwise.

Quote:

7) Apple has always stressed that iPhone / Touch apps should be resolution independent

yep.

Quote:

8) Jobs is about to return

doesn't mean a thing to anybody other than mister Jobs himself. Like anybody that has suffered a bit I would imagine he is happy to get back to work. Return or not Apple will move forward.

Quote:

9) The market wants it

wants what? Come on you can say it can't you, spit it out what do you think the market wants.

Quote:

10) Steve Jobs is about to return

QED

I'm not sure what your goals where with this post but you didn't do yourself any favors. If you think Apple has a specific tablet in mind say so. We could have an interesting discussion with respect to it's features.

Dave
  • Reply 6 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I'm not sure what your goals where with this post but you didn't do yourself any favors. If you think Apple has a specific tablet in mind say so. We could have an interesting discussion with respect to it's features.

Dave

Yeah, I too am looking for a new thread to continue serious discussion on the mighty apple tablet. We are more than ever getting closer and closer to the device's launch. And its no longer a fantasy that product is coming.

Its overwhelming apparent now that it is a reality and its going to come storming on to the scene.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    I think we could see a split here with the line up:

iPod Shuffle (sans controls)

iPod nano

iPod touch

iPod touch Pro/S etc..

The classic had less capacity in it's update last year (160GB down to 120GB) and there's only one model left. I think a 64GB touch would see the classic go.

What I've called 'touch pro' would have 3MPx camera, bluetooth (primarily for peer-to-peer games but also for stereo audio) digital compass and GPS.

These features are all used by third party apps that are essential to enticing users into the iPhone eco-system.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:

Are you insinuating that he's only a demigaud-uh-demigod? That's blasphemy!
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Yeah, I too am looking for a new thread to continue serious discussion on the mighty apple tablet.

We might as well use this one!

To be honest though I think you need to use the word tablets. That is I see great potential for a number of devices from Apple to fill various needs.

Quote:

We are more than ever getting closer and closer to the devices launch. And its no longer a fantasy that product is coming.

Well let's hope it is not a fantasy. I think the thing here is that the we could see multiple devices released from Applle over a period of time. The no brainer is the idea of a slightly larger iPod that is optimized more towards the larger screen and the apps that could use that screen. That is an iPod Touch that can do movie playback, ebook and games well. Frankly I see this as a much faster platform than even the new S iPhone. The screen size would be in the 5 to 7 inch range. Big enough to do wide screen movies but still small enough for gaming and other handheld tasks.

I like to call this machine Newton 2. Obviously a lot more capable but still reasonably easy to keep with you during travel. The nice thing of course is that if it is enabled with GPS it becomes an ideal car computer.

Quote:

Its overwhelming apparent now that it is a reality and its going to come storming on to the scene.

It really does seem that way but honestly I'd expect to start hearing leaks if anything was coming in September. I expect the current Touch to be updated then but these are not the new devices expected.

Along with what is described above I'm also expecting a much larger tablet that can better handle ebook and other apps that benefit from a larger screen. The device will be even more slanted towards the media delivery angle and may borrow the Apple TV marque. This device would use that nice ten inch screen that has been rumored. Further it would be just the nuts if it had a digital TV tuner built in. Again it would run an iPhone derived OS and give people all the goodness of that. This device would not have the gaming focus of the mid sized Touch.

Thanks

Dave
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

iPod nano

iPod touch

iPod touch Pro/S etc..

The classic had less capacity in it's update last year (160GB down to 120GB) and there's only one model left. I think a 64GB touch would see the classic go.

What I've called 'touch pro' would have 3MPx camera, bluetooth (primarily for peer-to-peer games but also for stereo audio) digital compass and GPS.

These features are all used by third party apps that are essential to enticing users into the iPhone eco-system.

With the 3.0 software the ipod touch 2G already has bluetooth. I'm using it now in fact.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Quote:

We might as well use this one!

To be honest though I think you need to use the word tablets. That is I see great potential for a number of devices from Apple to fill various needs.

Well let's hope it is not a fantasy. I think the thing here is that the we could see multiple devices released from Applle over a period of time. The no brainer is the idea of a slightly larger iPod that is optimized more towards the larger screen and the apps that could use that screen. That is an iPod Touch that can do movie playback, ebook and games well. Frankly I see this as a much faster platform than even the new S iPhone. The screen size would be in the 5 to 7 inch range. Big enough to do wide screen movies but still small enough for gaming and other handheld tasks.

I like to call this machine Newton 2. Obviously a lot more capable but still reasonably easy to keep with you during travel. The nice thing of course is that if it is enabled with GPS it becomes an ideal car computer.

It really does seem that way but honestly I'd expect to start hearing leaks if anything was coming in September. I expect the current Touch to be updated then but these are not the new devices expected.

Along with what is described above I'm also expecting a much larger tablet that can better handle ebook and other apps that benefit from a larger screen. The device will be even more slanted towards the media delivery angle and may borrow the Apple TV marque. This device would use that nice ten inch screen that has been rumored. Further it would be just the nuts if it had a digital TV tuner built in. Again it would run an iPhone derived OS and give people all the goodness of that. This device would not have the gaming focus of the mid sized Touch.

Thanks

Dave

It seems that (to my surprise) the new iPhone 3Gs does not have one of PA Semi's custom designed chips that they were working on. It seems to be using Samsung's A8 Cortex just like the Palm Pre.

Do you think that the tablet will be using PA Semi's custom chips as a CPU?
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Quote:

It seems that (to my surprise) the new iPhone 3Gs does not have one of PA Semi's custom designed chips that they were working on. It seems to be using Samsung's A8 Cortex just like the Palm Pre.

Actually the Pre uses a TI variant of the A8.

As to the surprise at the Samsung processor, I'm not even sure Apple bought PA to design cell phone processors anymore. I just can't see where it gives them an advantage that would justify the costs. Other scraps of info seem to indicate that the Macs are being targetted by Apples PA tribe. Or maybe the tablets that everybody is waiting on.

Quote:

Do you think that the tablet will be using PA Semi's custom chips as a CPU?

It could very well be the case. As smart as Apples smart phone is there is only so much that is practicle to do on it. None of that requires an advanced SoC the way a tablet would.

Frankly; where Apple needs a lot of horse power is in the Touch, especially a larger one capable of doing gaming well. So it depends on what you consider to be a tablet. The more capable the device the more useful a custom chip will be.

Dave
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

iPod nano

iPod touch

iPod touch Pro/S etc..

I like to think of the three bears when thinking about Touch. Little bear is the current machine form factor, mama bear would be a slightly larger but still pocketable model and papa bear a large device truely suitable for ebooks, video and such. I think the hit with the public will be mama bear as it could be extremely versatile. Mama bear would be the right size for everything from e-Mail to in car navigation. Not that the current Touch can't do that, but the screen is a tad small for things like in car navigation.

Quote:

The classic is big with professionals, I don't see it going away. Instead it might get a SSD.

Quote:

I'm not sure about the camera, one of the reasons people buy the Touch is because it is camera free. All but the lowest end Touch needs the other things mentioned, but it already has Bluetooth. Beyound the navigational stuff environmental sensors would be nice. Oh an FM radio too. I know everybody thinks that is impossible but I actually see it working well with iTunes.

Quote:

More importantly a Touch with good GPS would be a huge hit. Especially as a wider array of software hits the app store. It opens up so many possibilities for apps that Apple could end up selling millions of units just to boaters, hunters and outdoorsmen.

Dave
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Quote:

Actually the Pre uses a TI variant of the A8.

As to the surprise at the Samsung processor, I'm not even sure Apple bought PA to design cell phone processors anymore. I just can't see where it gives them an advantage that would justify the costs. Other scraps of info seem to indicate that the Macs are being targetted by Apples PA tribe. Or maybe the tablets that everybody is waiting on.

It could very well be the case. As smart as Apples smart phone is there is only so much that is practicle to do on it. None of that requires an advanced SoC the way a tablet would.

Frankly; where Apple needs a lot of horse power is in the Touch, especially a larger one capable of doing gaming well. So it depends on what you consider to be a tablet. The more capable the device the more useful a custom chip will be.

Dave

What your saying makes sense. Unless PA Semi simply wasn't ready and that we'll see PA Semi custom chips in 4G iphones, your probably right when you say that its the tablet that will get PA Semi's custom work. When it comes to macs however, anything custom from PA Semi in macs and macbooks will be supporting components other than CPUs. the CPUs will still be intel. And I guess GPUs will be Nvidia.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

What I'm saying is when Steve "returns" nothing drastic will change product-wise. They have their roadmap and they will stick to it. People thing the world will change when he returns, but nothing major inside Apple likely won't even.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Quote:

What your saying makes sense. Unless PA Semi simply wasn't ready and that we'll see PA Semi custom chips in 4G iphones, your probably right when you say that its the tablet that will get PA Semi's custom work.

Right or wrong I don't know, call it a semi educated guess. One thing we need to take into acccount here is that the 3G and 3GS phones share a motherboard layout that is close to identical. So your chip vendor say hey you can more than double your iPhones performance for very little work you have to expect that Apple considered that a very good upgrade path.

The thing now is does this continue to be the path Apple follows with future iPhones. My guess is it will be as long as Samsung can come up with more highly integrated chips. This is really the key as long as integration increases, bring more pheripherial on die, the more neat stuff Apple has room for on board.

Quote:

When it comes to macs however, anything custom from PA Semi in macs and macbooks will be supporting components other than CPUs. the CPUs will still be intel. And I guess GPUs will be Nvidia.

See I'm not sure what Apple is up to here. PA is suppose to be working on iPod/iPhone chips but yet the market is flooded with suitable hardware. So why all this talent applied to cell Iphone/iPod chips? With the higher integration Intel chips one has to wonder what else could PA be working on. For desktops the only thing that comes to mind is a dedicated vector array. This to provide OpenCL type acceleration without stressing the built in GPU.

That sounds nice but then why not just buy the suitable chips from ATI or Nvidia. The reason I come up with is that you don't expect them to be around long. Another idea is that Apple starts building it's own North bridges again. There is actually huge advantage here for them to do so as the can tailor IO for their needs. Especially if they keep things like Firewire around. Speaking of which PA could be doing Firewire 3200 work if Apple is still interested, as a separate PCI interfaced chip or integrated into something else. There is actually a number of things PA could be doing for the desktop.

If you step back a bit though PA has a long and varied background in serial IO ports. They embedded several in their PPC chips. So the idea that PA is doing north bridge work is plausable.

Dave
  • Reply 17 of 20
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sequitur

Quote:

What I'm saying is when Steve "returns" nothing drastic will change product-wise. They have their roadmap and they will stick to it. People thing the world will change when he returns, but nothing major inside Apple likely won't even.

I hope you didn't take me seriously. I was being facetious. Just forgot to add a smily face:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/images/smilies/1wink.gif Still can't get that smily face to show up. Drat.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by sequitur

I hope you didn't take me seriously. I was being facetious. Just forgot to add a smily face:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/images/smilies/1wink.gif Still can't get that smily face to show up. Drat.

I didn't.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:

Yes but who is to say they didn't base their roadmap somewhat around his return.

"hey Joe, when will this product be ready?"

"Late May sir"

"Hmm..Steve is due back by the end of June, we shouldn't lose that much if we save it for an early-July release. Let it be the first product Steve announces upon his return"

Is something like this really so hard to believe? Products for companies are frequently ready long before they are released, but they wait for the optimum moment to unveil them. In the videogame industry, that can mean a big yearly event like E3. In Apple-land, tying it to the return of Steve Jobs can help show that Steve is back and doing fine and also unveil shiny new product X.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

Yes but who is to say they didn't base their roadmap somewhat around his return.

"hey Joe, when will this product be ready?"

"Late May sir"

"Hmm..Steve is due back by the end of June, we shouldn't lose that much if we save it for an early-July release. Let it be the first product Steve announces upon his return"

Is something like this really so hard to believe? Products for companies are frequently ready long before they are released, but they wait for the optimum moment to unveil them. In the videogame industry, that can mean a big yearly event like E3. In Apple-land, tying it to the return of Steve Jobs can help show that Steve is back and doing fine and also unveil shiny new product X.

I think their roadmap has been laid out wayyyy in advance. Enough so that Apple didn't care when Jobs was coming back because they have everything covered for the forseeable future.

What they really need Jobs for is his ruthless negotiating tactics when it comes to partner companies. And right now we need Jobs to be as ruthless with the carriers as he was with the music and movie companies.

For instance, I think Steve is sick and tired of the ineptitude and greed of AT&T and will want to be able to sell iphones to more than simply AT&T customers. Oh, he'll still have iphones on AT&T of course. But for more carriers starting next year I see Apple starting to do that. And thats also going to be crucial if the new type of device we all want so much is wireless.

Perhaps it will start as a 3G/wifi type of device and then eventually a 4G LTE/wifi device.