iPhone 3G S Oleophobic Screen & 3rd-Party Protectors?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Did anyone get a iPhone 3G S (with the new oleophobic screen) & try to use a 3rd-Party screen protector?

I cant decide if the new iPhone can use them or not. I want to protect the screeen from scratches as well as smudges etc.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    So...NOBODY is buying screen protectors?
  • Reply 2 of 14
    gizmo-xlgizmo-xl Posts: 142member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dstranathan View Post

They work just fine I am sending this with a 3Gs with one on it and it seems to be ok.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dstranathan View Post

I'm curious too. I just got my first 2 iPhones (self and wife) and have third party screen protectors that I ordered before I heard about the new oleophobic screen. I still haven't decided on installing, though I suppose one of us will just to try it out. They are no use on the shelf...
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Just curious: WHY would you want to use a screen protector on the iPhone? The screen is glass. I had a First Gen iPhone from launch until August 2008, and have had the iPhone 3G since then...and NEITHER have had ANY scratches whatsoever on them. Nothing. Not even hairline scratches that you can only see in certain light...it is perfect.

So why would you want to spend money on an un-needed screen protector that I am sure dulls the quality of the iPhone screen down?

(This is of course assuming you use your FINGER with the iPhone...and not a needle/pin/diamond (???)
  • Reply 5 of 14
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freakyfreak View Post

Just curious: WHY would you want to use a screen protector on the iPhone? The screen is glass. I had a First Gen iPhone from launch until August 2008, and have had the iPhone 3G since then...and NEITHER have had ANY scratches whatsoever on them. Nothing. Not even hairline scratches that you can only see in certain light...it is perfect.

So why would you want to spend money on an un-needed screen protector that I am sure dulls the quality of the iPhone screen down?

(This is of course assuming you use your FINGER with the iPhone...and not a needle/pin/diamond (???)

I have a bunch of free protectors from a pal. Didnt spend a dime on them.

You may have luck with no scratches but I know people who have scratched them.

I have use them before and never noticed any "dulling".
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Well, OK. Thanks for the input. If iPhone users tell me that the screen will be fine even josteling in my pocket with change or floating In my wife's purse, then I would not put a protector on. But I'm not sure why you would expect us iPhone noobs to know that...
  • Reply 7 of 14
    jkozjkoz Posts: 48member
    Quote:

From Feb 2008-June 2009 my 2G had scratches on its screen from normal use. You're right, it is glass. And therefore can scratch.

I'm not taking any chances. I got the crystal film screen protector and I don't even know it's there. Which is the best kind of protection.

Debating on some sort of protection for the back so the silver Apple logo doesn't go to hell either.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

Just curious: WHY would you want to use a screen protector on the iPhone? The screen is glass.

<snip>

OK, follow up here. My iPhone is now in my possession for 9 days. It already has scratches on the screen. So much for your advice...

The scratches are up near the speaker mostly above the viewing area of the screen, but they highlight that the screen is glass and not impervious (or even particularly resistant) to scratching. After thinking about it for a while, it became clear that the marks were the result of contact with my glasses while talking on the phone (probably while trying to squeeze the phone to my ear with my shoulder while dealing with a toddler.

Anyway, I put the screen protector I already had on hand on and all is well. I would reccomend it to anyone who carries the phone loose in their pockets. It is a little smudgier than the iPhone screen, but is most noticable in that I don't notice it much. Good for piece of mind!
  • Reply 9 of 14
    drevildrevil Posts: 24member
    Seriously, Bageljoey, what did you do to it? Those of us who are careful have had iPhones for a very long time without a single scratch. I have even INTENTIONALLY taken my keys and slapped them against the screen to show that it wouldn't hurt it. So what are you doing to get scratches in nine days?

paul100: The new screen does prevent smudges and, for that reason, it isn't a waste of money at all. I even had a friend who was on the fence about buying an iPhone now (and not waiting for it to get to his network). As stupid as it might sound, he changed his mind after seeing the nearly smudge-less screen post-use.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    DrEvil,

I thought I explained it in my last post. The phone against my glasses ended up scratched. Now, I don't expect this to happen to every one, but it does make clear that scratching could be an issue.

I did not have any evidence of key scratching in my pockets, but at this point, do I want to risk it with the screen I am going to be living with for 2 years?

Maybe I am a careless idiot or maybe I am hyper sensative, but I'm not sure of the point of acting like the screen is diamond hard when clearly it is not...
  • Reply 11 of 14
    taskisstaskiss Posts: 1,212member
    I've passed my first gen iPhone (bought in the first week after introduction) to my wife after getting my 3G, and neither have any scratches. She carries hers in her purse, I carry mine in my pants pocket. We do keep the phones in the "InCase" silicone sleeve to help counteract how slippery the phone can be, but that's the only protection we use. Both phones are like new, no scratches or anything.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:

I don't know about you, but I sometimes carry my iphone in my pocket.......

I have had an invisible shield from Zagg.com on my 2G for more than a year now and great, you can't tell it is there and I am sure it has save my retiring 2G iphone from a few scratches...

I have just got a new 3G S and got a new shield again, and great!! I do definitively advise it!!!!
  • Reply 13 of 14
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ericvet8b View Post

I don't know about you, but I sometimes carry my iphone in my pocket.......

I carried my original iPhone in my pocket for two years and I carry my new 3GS in my pocket now. I just don't carry it in the same pocket as my keys or frankly anything else. A pocket is a great "screen protector".
  • Reply 14 of 14
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    A word of caution to those not using Screen Protectors.

I've had every generation of iPhone, and used a screen protector intermittently but never for too long. Both the original 2g iPhone and my 3g are PERFECT.

I've had my 3GS for almost 2 weeks and there are 3 small (1-2mm) scratches on the unprotected screen, which is always in a soft pocket and NEVER with anything else. Not sure how I could have gotten them other than by wiping the phone on my shirt or sliding in/out of pocket. Either way, I'm now convinced that the OLEOPHOBIC coating has made the screen much more susceptible to scratches, so I recommend protection from day one. Just put the crystal film on myself to prevent any further damage. Very disappointing, to the point that I want to go ask Apple for a replacement since I treat my device like a baby and wasn't aware that the new screen would be more scratch-able than the last 2.

Just a word of caution for everyone else.