Steve Jobs' return to Apple linked to liver transplant

Comments

• Reply 61 of 115
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

Steve Jobs is one of the "lucky" ones. My father wasn't so lucky, he had the "typical" pancreatic cancer. He went from a tall, built, ex high school football player, purple heart ex marine to nothing. He would like me to rub his neck and back and I couldn't understand how he enjoyed it as i was rubbing his paper-like skin against his bones. He no longer had any fat or muscle.

I wish Steve all the best.

Sorry bout your daddy .

• Reply 62 of 115
    Despite all the bickering about what is really happening, I think we can all agree that Steve Jobs needs to get his sickly ass back in the workshop and pump us out a few new gadgets before he eats it.
  • Reply 63 of 115
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imGayForSteveJobs View Post

Despite all the bickering about what is really happening, I think we can all agree that Steve Jobs needs to get his sickly ass back in the workshop and pump us out a few new gadgets before he eats it.

And clean up that abandoned house already.

We need him to introduce the new iPad.

Get well soon. Peace.
  • Reply 64 of 115
    <edit out
  • Reply 65 of 115
    ouraganouragan Posts: 437member
    Quote:

Not surprisingly, confirming any of these assertions proves difficult through Apple's tendency towards secrecy, and especially that of Steve Jobs, who has long expressed frustration with journalists and investors intruding into what he sees as a private matter.

The only way for the CEO of a large multinational company to escape public scrutiny is to resign or retire, after which he should enjoy a semi-private life. Otherwise, a CEO, especially "the highest paid CEO in America", must account for his whereabouts.

You can't have the billions in stock options and live in obscurity. Make a choice and come forward to explain it.

P.S.: Steve Jobs should probably retire "for medical reasons". Everyone would understand. Just like Craig Barrett at Intel, Steve Jobs could be named "Honorary Chairman" of Apple, a title which comes with no real obligations, and a position that he could use to show up at Apple "from time to time", using his prestige to inspire the young and eager.

I wish Steve Jobs the wisdom to know when to quit.

• Reply 66 of 115
    If this is a true report, I wish Steve and his family all the best of luck for the future. Steve has been truly inspirational to so many people since he co-founded Apple in 1976, and we can all hope that he regains good health soon. Whether he returns to Apple or not, his contribution to product innovation and design has been a truly remarkable. Good luck Steve.
  • Reply 67 of 115
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kiseki View Post

I'm skeptical about this "news". If he really did suffer a relapse of his cancer, the last thing he'd want to do would be to get any kind of transplant. Cancer cells are formed in our bodies all the time but fortunately we have immune systems which destroy most of them and protect us.

If you get a transplant and take the required immunosuppressants, that's probably the worst thing for your cancer since you're removing your only innate protection against cancer cells.

Another thing about the liver is that it is one of the few regenerative organs in the body. You can actually remove most of a person's liver and it will grow back. Which means Jobs had such invasive cancer that he needed a liver transplant (instead of just cutting out the diseased parts), and there's no way his doctors would have let cancer progress to that stage without taking action long before.

It makes much more sense to believe his story that it was a metabolic problem and his liver had stopped functioning. In that case, it would make sense to get a transplant and his prognosis, barring side effects from the immunosuppressants should be pretty good.

Agreed.

It's worth noting also that the original source seems to have *not* mentioned "a resurgence of cancer" at all and that this perhaps just plays on the rampant speculation that's been going around to that effect.

Also, (and I say this every time Apple Insider publishes an article like this), the board was specifically asked about these issues at the time. If it turns out to be true that Steve had a resurgence of his cancer, then the board of directors has deliberately misled the stock holders and is in very deep trouble legally speaking. It would be fraud.

I don't believe that all those millionaires would risk their careers, their fortunes and possible jail-time to defend Steve Jobs' privacy.
  • Reply 68 of 115
    ouraganouragan Posts: 437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kiseki View Post

I'm skeptical about this "news". If he really did suffer a relapse of his cancer, the last thing he'd want to do would be to get any kind of transplant. Cancer cells are formed in our bodies all the time but fortunately we have immune systems which destroy most of them and protect us. If you get a transplant and take the required immunosuppressants, that's probably the worst thing for your cancer since you're removing your only innate protection against cancer cells.

Another thing about the liver is that it is one of the few regenerative organs in the body. You can actually remove most of a person's liver and it will grow back. Which means Jobs had such invasive cancer that he needed a liver transplant (instead of just cutting out the diseased parts), and there's no way his doctors would have let cancer progress to that stage without taking action long before.

I agree. The function of the immune system is to identify and destroy malfunctionning or foreign cells. The last thing a cancer patient needs is to turn off his immune system.

It would have made much more sense to remove a malfunctioning part of the liver and let the liver grow back on its own (or in a lab to be reimplanted later). But, Steve Jobs had a surgery 2 years ago, possibly to remove a cancerous growth. If true, Steve Jobs waited too long before his first, second and third surgeries. And the secrecy around everything never served Steve Jobs, because it is only another way to deny reality.

• Reply 69 of 115
    sigs21sigs21 Posts: 82member
    Get Well Steve

PS Is it an iLiver
  • Reply 70 of 115
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    I do not know. Maybe because it is illegal to disclose somebody's health information without that person's permission.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Is this a true story ? How could something like this remain hidden ?

• Reply 71 of 115
    BS. The CEO of a public company works at the pleasure of the Board not the public shareholders. If the Board is satisfied that the CEO is performing his or her duties properly, that is all that is needed. Of course, if unhappy shareholders own enough shares they can get the Board members replaced.

Apple shareholders like Jobs. He has made them a lot of money. I doubt any long time holder of Apple stock is clamoring for Jobs to leave anytime before he is ready to leave. I know I am not. The company is being run well, Jobs gets a dollar a year, and he has already earned the shares he received [Jobs owns shares outright, not options].

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

The only way for the CEO of a large multinational company to escape public scrutiny is to resign or retire, after which he should enjoy a semi-private life. Otherwise, a CEO, especially "the highest paid CEO in America", must account for his whereabouts.

You can't have the billions in stock options and live in obscurity. Make a choice and come forward to explain it.

P.S.: Steve Jobs should probably retire "for medical reasons". Everyone would understand. Just like Craig Barrett at Intel, Steve Jobs could be named "Honorary Chairman" of Apple, a title which comes with no real obligations, and a position that he could use to show up at Apple "from time to time", using his prestige to inspire the young and eager.

• Reply 72 of 115
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

The company is being run well, Jobs gets a dollar a year, and he has already earned the shares he received [Jobs owns shares outright, not options].

Aren't there other significant perks too? I know he owns shares, but he doesn't also have options?
  • Reply 73 of 115
    According to this:

http://www.hivandhepatitis.com/hep_c.../101306_c.html

"For men, median post-transplant survival was 18 years, compared with 27 for the general population"

so a loss of 9 years of life. That's for patients that made it past the first 6 months, in comparison to a control group with the same age distribution. The article also noted that for cancer patients the expected loss of years was greater... However, if poster agrothey is right that with Steve Job's rare type of cancer the removal of the liver is essentially a cure, then that may not be the case.

So it would seem that it's not unreasonable to expect that Mr. Jobs, who is now 53 and no doubt can afford the best care available, will make it to retirement age... if not longer.

I certainly hope he does...
  • Reply 74 of 115
    Quote:

I wish that wisdom upon you.

(And, smoking is bad for your health.)
  • Reply 75 of 115
    Quote:

I agree. The function of the immune system is to identify and destroy malfunctionning or foreign cells. The last thing a cancer patient needs is to turn off his immune system.

It would have made much more sense to remove a malfunctioning part of the liver and let the liver grow back on its own (or in a lab to be reimplanted later). But, Steve Jobs had a surgery 2 years ago, possibly to remove a cancerous growth. If true, Steve Jobs waited too long before his first, second and third surgeries. And the secrecy around everything never served Steve Jobs, because it is only another way to deny reality.

"I am a moron. But I play doctor on anonymous forums."
  • Reply 76 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by ouragan

This is too funny ..lol
  • Reply 77 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Aren't there other significant perks too? I know he owns shares, but he doesn't also have options?

Steve has a plane that ran about 90 million. < i think >

He earns no salary

He has some stock options .

He still owns stock from before

Pixar made him very rich

His only perks may be the plane and a parking spot.

• Reply 78 of 115
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Steve has set up a great executive team as his legacy. He can certainly walk away from Apple knowing that it is in good hands. I would like him back as much as anyone but I believe that may be asking for too much.

I'm sure he won't be back this month having a liver transplant two months ago. The recovery is much longer than that.

All the best and a quick recovery Steve!
  • Reply 79 of 115
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Steve

I'm not going to add another "medical opinion" on your situation ... there's enough of that here already, much of which , I suspect, is without much merit. I just want to wish you the full, complete and speedy recovery that you deserve. Best wishes and God Bless.
  • Reply 80 of 115
    No, he doesn't have options. Apple originally gave him options (hence the options scandal), but later took them back and gave him stock instead. Jobs sold about half of this Apple stock [worth about 300 million at the time] to cover the taxes.

I think Apple now gives stock outright instead of options to high level employees. The employees have to stay with Apple for a certain number of years to be entitled to the stock.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post