Steve Jobs' return to Apple linked to liver transplant

Comments

• Reply 82 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

He was a long time Windows user constantly yelling at his PC. Doctor told him had to get a Mac if expects to ever recover.

Not to make light of anyone's battle with an illness, but that comment is hilarious and I agree with it based on my PAST PC experiences. Ugh! Life is indeed better and more stress-free with a Mac!
  • Reply 83 of 115
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Steve Jobs, I wish you all the best with your iLiver'09 upgrade. Peace.
  • Reply 84 of 115
    quantzquantz Posts: 94member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rnp1 View Post

Wondering if you are next to get sick? Instead of a new iPhone or Touch, you may wanna give these folks $399 and see what your genetic material contains:

https://www.23andme.com/

Saw these gals on Charlie Rose.

23andme (23 pairs of chromosom).

This is Google's Sergei Brin's wife company.
  • Reply 85 of 115
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member

• Reply 86 of 115
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rnp1 View Post

Wondering if you are next to get sick? Instead of a new iPhone or Touch, you may wanna give these folks $399 and see what your genetic material contains:

https://www.23andme.com/

Saw these gals on Charlie Rose.

I was set to get mine done a couple years ago but then I saw that only do a sample. I'll wait until they offer a complete Gattaca package, then I'll get it done.
  • Reply 87 of 115
    After reading this thread I felt compelled to respond. There is a lack of maturity and foresight in the many of the posts contained above. This achieves nothing. However some responders have made very valid contributions:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by agrothey View Post

As a GI medical oncologist, I can assure you that a liver transplantation is one of the options to treat a metastatic neuroendocrine cancer of the pancreas. What most people do not realize is that SJ did NOT suffer from a "normal" pancreatic cancer, but from a rare tumor called "islet cell cancer", which is associated with a much better prognosis than pancreatic cancer. These tumors unfortunately commonly metastasize (seed) into the liver - but a liver transplant can cure patients.

Thank you for this contribution it makes a lot of sense

Quote:

The WSJ story is perfectly plausible and explains some of the issues I was wondering about, e.g. the predefined set time frame of SJ's return to work.

Very valid. It could also point out that all parties involved, SJ, the Board, Medical personal etc... were all confident in the procedure that was to follow and the time frame required. The only question I have is how did they know that a suitable organ (unless a portion of organ was going to be used) would be found within the time frame. This therefore would suggest that transplant was only an option under consideration in January when SJ took medical leave.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I have no idea, but I wonder if the liver transplant was not due to the cancer spreading. Perhaps it was another issue...a reaction to treatment or wholly separate?

Secondly, I think Apple is full of shit. If he had a liver transplant and Apple didn't say anything, that's not right. Your CEO, who is described as a "luminary" my major pubs, has a liver transplant and you don't say anything? WTF? The fact is that Steve is wrong...his health is not a private matter. It's quite public because he is the CEO of a publicly traded corporation that depends on him...morseo than probably any other corporation on Earth.

Last...I wish him well. Let's hope he's got many years left.

This post illustrates some level of passion, even though I don't agree with some of what is stated. SJ was not the CEO of apple at the time of the transplant and therefore was not obliged to reveal anything of his health. He had stepped down for medical reasons, so he told the share holders that he was unable to continue as CEO for the moment and needed to see to his health. The share holders were not in the dark, they knew that SJ was ill, they only didn't know the extent of the illness which frankly was none of their business.

Quote:

OK - here is more. I want to caution everyone, though, that I have at no time been involved in SJ's care and that I only gather information from what everyone else is reading - with my background as a medical oncologist who is actually treating patients with islet cell cancers like SJ.

Apple routinely mentioned an "hormonal imbalance" as reason for SJ's weight loss. Now, islet cell cancers can produce certain hormones (such as glucagon, somatostatin, vasoactive-intestinal peptide (VIP) etc) which can interfere with a normal gastrointestinal function and the way a body utilizes nutrients (carbohydrates, protein, fat). When an islet cell cancer recurs and produces liver metastases, these hormonal effects can lead to significant and rapid weight loss. Thus, it could well be that Apple's statements were somewhat true. Right now it does appear that SJ's tumor had spread to his liver, which is commonly the ONLY site of spread within a body. That's why it can makes sense to replace the liver in certain cases - and I am sure he will have been carefully evaluated for this.

For now we should wish him well and hope that he will be recovering fast. Again, the liver transplantation can offer a chance of cure in this situation - and that's I guess most important.

Just to emphasis, the shareholders had a lot more knowledge of SJ's potential illness, the board had ensured that the shareholders had a level of knowledge that was somewhat accurate. SJ and the board was relatively confident that the condition could be rectified with the proper medical attention hence, took the necessary steps.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Aside from Steve Jobs's medical issues, it's pretty clear from the keynote presentation at the WWDC 2009 that Jobs has firmly installed a unique product development and marketing culture at all levels within Apple. No matter how actively Jobs resumes his management role, his legacy has been established. The management and troops continually outstrip the competition and even lead the marketplace with innovations that actually anticipate customer wants and needs. This six-month hiatus of sorts has been a great testing period. Snow Leopard, the 3G S, iPhone software v. 3, and the freshened notebook line all demonstrate that Apple's powerful momentum continues unabated. Apple customers, employees and investors have Steve Jobs to thank for it.

This is a very valid post. Steve is not prepared to let what happened in the past happen again, so he ensured that he nurtured the culture, ensured that visionaries have been brought into the company and that Apples success in the future is guaranteed. If we look back through time, Apples darkest days was when Steve was forced out of Apple by the then board (hope I am accurate on that). Steve was eventually bought back in through the acquisition of NeXT, eventually becoming the CEO (a role that he didn't initially want). Nonetheless he did what was required of him and developed a very strong executive team

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadow View Post

Unfortunately, the information is likely true.

What bothers me is the timing. We had several bursts of media activity on SJ health already. Most of them turned out to be correct, but the timing suspiciously coincides with other [positive] Apple related news. Spreading FUD regarding SJ health either steals the spotlight from remarkable Apple new products/product launches or impressive financial results.

I might be paranoid but this does not mean my conspiracy theory is entirely wrong.

Really hope SJ will recover and stay with Apple for years to come.

I think the timing in this case was controlled by Apple. They knew that the information had to become public so they picked a time when Apple was receiving very favorable media attention with the introduction of the new iPhone. What better time to leak the news that SJ would be returning to work on schedule after seeing to his medical condition and having a liver transplant.

In the past the media activity surrounding SJ?s health was pure speculation, and only coincided with other Apple news (WWDC 2008, iPod launch 2008) because SJ made the announcements appearing very under weight himself. This caused a media frenzy and speculation on the part of the media which over shadowed the announcements. What differs in this case is that the focus has been on the products which have gained the desired traction and if reports can be believed, surpassed previous years sales. None of the focus or speculation has been on SJ.

Maybe the timing is ideal, and maybe SJ is back in the office this coming week. Maybe as Steve might state himself ?the reports are greatly exaggerated? (Apple special event September 2008 ? The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

BS. The CEO of a public company works at the pleasure of the Board not the public shareholders. If the Board is satisfied that the CEO is performing his or her duties properly, that is all that is needed. Of course, if unhappy shareholders own enough shares they can get the Board members replaced.

Apple shareholders like Jobs. He has made them a lot of money. I doubt any long time holder of Apple stock is clamoring for Jobs to leave anytime before he is ready to leave. I know I am not. The company is being run well, Jobs gets a dollar a year, and he has already earned the shares he received [Jobs owns shares outright, not options].

Agreed 100%

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Steve has set up a great executive team as his legacy. He can certainly walk away from Apple knowing that it is in good hands. I would like him back as much as anyone but I believe that may be asking for too much.

I'm sure he won't be back this month having a liver transplant two months ago. The recovery is much longer than that.

All the best and a quick recovery Steve!

If the information is true (I question the lack of a source, but the WSJ must be confident in it) and if Steve has had a liver transplant, then the return of SJ to the work maybe asking too much. However, the time frame for Steves absence was clearly defined, it was clearly stated that "hormonal imbalance" was the reason for SJ's weight loss and as agrothey pointed out above, a transplant given SJ?s previous medical issues would have been one of the possible remedies. Considering this facts then the timeframe would have been pre-calculated (assuming all went well and there was no complications) and therefore Steve?s return maybe on schedule.

We must also consider that number of Steve?s friends/colleagues has indicated that they have spoken to him in recent weeks and that he was sounding very energetic. At this poin one can only assume that these individuals had knowledge of Steves condition and were confident that he would be back soon.

Also it was reported in previous weeks that SJ was on campus at Cupertino (well at lease his car was parked in SJ?s reserved parking space). This when coupled with the other indicators may suggest that SJ is preparing for his return to the office as defined.

However, maybe the leak late Friday was to prepare us for a possibility that Steve will not be back as soon as anticipated due to the seriousness of his operation. This coupled with an article (not sure where) that indicated that Apple might hold SJ?s return back until a future product launch. The possibility also exists that he may not resume his duties as CEO, but could take on a new yet to be defined role. What is certain is that Steve will know when it is time to step down as CEO.

We can continue to speculate here, either way, we know that Steve is on the road to recovery and will be back on campus in the not to distant future.

To all the immature, pointless and uneducated posters who have contributed above, grow up!

SJ has given his heart and sole to Apple for many years and will continue to so long into the future. He has brought together an executive team that he trusts and is more than capable to continue to grow the company that he founded. They along with him have created a product roadmap into the future that will forge forward. Rumors have it that a new product is nearing completion. A device that uses a 10? display, maybe something that has evolved from a historical figure that featured in Apple?s original logo! Time will tell.

The future is bright, will be evolutionary, will be innovative and will be influenced by SJ?s Apple

Finally, Steve thank you for Apple, thank you for sharing your visions and we look forward to seeing the future you envisage.

Take care and ignore the speculators, me included.
  • Reply 88 of 115
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    Pic of Woz stretcher at http://www.woz.org/Features/dance/im...nce3_20_09.jpg

Quote:
    Originally Posted by handbrake View Post

After reading this thread I felt compelled to respond. There is a lack of maturity and foresight in the many of the posts contained above. This achieves nothing....

• Reply 89 of 115
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    It's far from certain that the health of a CEO is nobody's business but their own. Public corporations are required by SEC rules to disclose anything which would have a material impact on the value of shareholder equity (read: share price). Whether this includes major health issues for key executives is debatable, but I don't think it's debatable that questions about whether Steve can to continue serving as CEO have had a material impact on AAPL shareholder equity.
  • Reply 90 of 115
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    I really see no point in speculating about his illness, what type of cancer, whether it's this or that kind, etc.

All we'll end up doing is just wallowing in medical misinformation for 15 pages.

We'll know nothing for certain until Steve Jobs returns.

Getting into arguments with each other over what cancer means, or worse yet, arguments with current and former cancer patients, is just beyond silly. Honestly, at this point, does it really matter what kind of cancer he had, or whether he received a liver transplant or some other transplant?? The man is ill. We know it and accept it. And by now shareholders know it and accept it. Shareholders have already gotten used to the idea of Steve's absence. The only appropriate thing to do at this point is to wish him well and get on with discussing products that Schiller and team have introduced and will introduce. That's it.
  • Reply 91 of 115
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irobot2004 View Post

According to wikipedia, the inventor died recently from side effects of chemotherapy...

Dam, at least he planted the seed and got things started.

Strange he didn't attempt his own cure.

I would have.
  • Reply 92 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Shareholders have already gotten used to the idea of Steve's absence. The only appropriate thing to do at this point is to wish him well and get on with discussing products that Schiller and team have introduced and will introduce. That's it.

Maybe, but I doubt it. Try to imagine what would happen to AAPL if it was announced that Steve was not returning to Apple at the end of the month. Plummet city. We all know about the perception of his importance to the future of the company, so why try to pretend otherwise?

It's not clear whether Apple has put a team in place which can replace Steve's guidance over the long haul. A lot of people (myself included) think that needs to happen in a more apparent, definitive way. Soon. It needed to happen a long time ago, really.

My thought is that Steve needs a disengagement plan similar to one Bill Gates used to depart Microsoft. The first logical step is to move from CEO to Chairman of the Board.
  • Reply 93 of 115
    zipp it
  • Reply 94 of 115
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by handbrake View Post

After reading this thread I felt compelled to respond. There is a lack of maturity and foresight in the many of the posts contained above. This achieves nothing. ...

Speaking of maturity, how mature is it to use the name of a program for stealing media content as your handle?
  • Reply 95 of 115
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Speaking of maturity, how mature is it to use the name of a program for stealing media content as your handle?

I believe handbrake only converts files. It doesn't break encryption. That's for MacTheRipper to do. But this is just from memory, I could be wrong.
  • Reply 96 of 115
    Quote:

Walked into the door on that one. BLAMMO!!
  • Reply 97 of 115
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

And you, in your all-seeing wisdom, must somehow know he is not basing it on what it originally stood for (i.e., a car part) before a program for 'stealing media content' stole the name?
  • Reply 98 of 115
    Talk about thread drift -- wow!
  • Reply 99 of 115
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

I believe handbrake only converts files. It doesn't break encryption. That's for MacTheRipper to do. But this is just from memory, I could be wrong.

Handbrake breaks encryption. If it didn't, for most discs, it would mean a two-step process to get a converted file.

I'm not sure why it escapes the movie cartel's notice though.
  • Reply 100 of 115
    swiftswift Posts: 436member
    There are two possibilities here: either someone in the hospital sold their story to the Wall Street Journal, in which case, they are liable to dismissal and large fines. This is illegal under US law called HIPAA. Recently, a number of medical personel were caught selling medical information to the Enquirer, etc., about sick celebrities, and Mrs. Schwarzenegger's, medical conditions. They were caught and fired by the hospital, to escape liability. They could still be sued and fined. So, it's not anybody close to the operation, and a doctor or nurse could lose accreditation.

So I question the ethics of the reporters, getting information despite the HIPAA enforcement that guarantees privacy. Where did they get this from? Is it important that we know this? When or if he comes back, he owes his board, and the stockholders to some degree, an accounting of his health status. He owes the world nothing at all. And he especially owes nothing to the sharks of the WSJ, now working for Rupert, who may or may not have dug out facts -- for what purpose? These guys have been hot to get Jobs for years now. Little scoundrels of Wall Street, which evidently should be the ultimate purveyor of our morality, right?

The other possibility is that Apple itself floated the story to see how it would play just before Jobs' return. Or that it was floated by someone who wants his job, and doesn't want Jobs back. If that's the case, there's going to be one empty seat at Apple, and it won't be Steve's.