AppleTV to Receiver amp

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Does anyone know what I can do.

I have 2 video & audio zones in my house. In zone 1 my Onkyo receiver amp outputs via HDMI to each zone. I would like to now purchase an appleTV for zone 1 and input this to my receiver and remote access it from both zones. Zone 2 will have an IR receiver wired with Cat 5 to zone 1. will the IR emitter you attach on top of the components receiver prevent a line of sight from using my apple remote in zone 1 and what type of IR receiver brand will work an appleTV.

Would this actually work - any clues - first timer here - be gentle!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    bg_nycbg_nyc Posts: 189member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ANGE View Post

will the IR emitter you attach on top of the components receiver prevent a line of sight from using my apple remote in zone 1

Prevent a line of sight? Physically or through mixing signals? Thats a bit confusing. Doesn't it depend on how you have your components stacked? You would probably need to ask the folks at AVSForum.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ANGE View Post

what type of IR receiver brand will work an appleTV.

Apple tv software version 2.3+ allows the device to learn any standard remote. My Onkyo TX-SR605 remote works perfectly fine with it. So while I'm not an expert in IR transmitters and receivers, I think the ATV would play nice with the more popular brands. Again, this may be a question for the massive AVSForum.

Another option is to use the Remote App in the ipod touch and iphone to control the AppleTV. Its much more functional than a standard remote could ever me (allows you to search and select media from your phone). And its wifi so line-of-sight becomes a non-issue.