UBE 13" MacBook vs. new 13" MacBook Pro

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Does anybody know the specs of the outgoing unibody enclosure MacBooks screen (bit depth, viewing angle etc.), compared to the 13" MacBook Pro that replaces it?

I believe that Apple have updated the 13" screen ? but I can't find if the viewing angle is any better!

Many thanks...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

Does anybody know the specs of the outgoing unibody enclosure MacBooks screen (bit depth, viewing angle etc.), compared to the 13" MacBook Pro that replaces it?

I believe that Apple have updated the 13" screen ? but I can't find if the viewing angle is any better!

Many thanks...

Damn I forgot to check the 13" Macbook Pro screen in person over the weekend.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    If they screen isn't better it wouldn't be worth buying. According to both Giz and Engadget the screen is now as good as the 15" MacBook Pro and I assume the Air etc. About time.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    I was just installing software on a friend's new 13" MacBook Pro and I was very surprised how much the screen looked like the screen from my old white MacBook. It looked a bit dull and washed-out and wasn't close to my new 17" MBP. I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be the same quality as the bigger MBP's...
  • Reply 4 of 7
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    This sounds bad, we must investigate this further.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

This sounds bad, we must investigate this further.

To the Batmobile!

Luckily I do some contract work for an Apple reseller. Heading to the retail store now. Photo documentation will be limited though because I only have an iPhone 3G.

Will report back here, Batman!

Na na na na na na na na na na na na na.... Na na na na na na na na
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Loungepop View Post

I was just installing software on a friend's new 13" MacBook Pro and I was very surprised how much the screen looked like the screen from my old white MacBook. It looked a bit dull and washed-out and wasn't close to my new 17" MBP. I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be the same quality as the bigger MBP's...

Definitely not the case with the two demo MacBook Pro 13" I saw just now. The screen is far better than the white MacBook. There's just no comparison.

Now when compared to the MacBook 13" Aluminium, the MBP 13 screen is not as "bright"/"glaring". However the MBP 13" screen has excellent colour, improved viewing angles, and the black level is good, and there is no "blue washout" like the MacBook 13" Alu.

Check out a demo unit in person, I think one will be impressed. It's like what the Expresscard 15" Alu. MacBook Pro screen is, down in 13" size.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

Many thanks...

This review is pretty reasonable based on my own playing around with a MacBook Pro 13".

http://www.notebookreview.com/defaul...macbook+pro+13

" Viewing angles are average for a TN-panel LCD, with colors starting to show signs of inversion when titled 20-25 degrees forward or back. Horizontal viewing angles are much better, with colors staying accurate at steep angles, right up until the point where reflections overpower screen."

I would say the viewing angle is somewhat better than the MacBook Aluminium. You can see in the review those artifacts appear when the viewing angle is quite far away from perpendicular.

So, the only downside is the glossiness. But that very same glossiness makes videos, movies, photos look real pretty.

Outside in the sun if you are in reasonable shade the LED backlight is strong enough that it is useable, especially compared to PC laptops.

I would say for a 13" laptop the current MacBook Pro has one of, if not, THE best screens of any 13" PC or Mac. Dell and some other brands may have 13" or 14" LED backlit screens, but I don't think they quite come close.

Just take note of the glossiness, and then decide. I would say get it anyway and get a decent antiglare screen protector/overlay.