What is with the built-in batteries on all the notebooks now??

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple fixed a clear wrong by dropping FW support on the UMB, then makes the battery a built-in option not easily swapped (on a plane, train, or automobile).

Anyone want to guess why besides saving the environment?

I don't get it evidently.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    They get almost 8 hours and can be charged 1000 times, more than good enough for a large majority of users. My MBA gets just over 4 hours (the way I use it usually) and I have never once come close to running out of juice except when testing the batt. My old PowerBook got about 2.5 hours, so I had a spare and a charger at work.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

They get almost 8 hours and can be charged 1000 times, more than good enough for a large majority of users. My MBA gets just over 4 hours (the way I use it usually) and I have never once come close to running out of juice except when testing the batt. My old PowerBook got about 2.5 hours, so I had a spare and a charger at work.

There are a lot of us that travel internationally and 7 or 8 hours is not going to cut it. Without a spare battery or two I can pop in, I am sunk on those trips.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

There are a lot of us that travel internationally and 7 or 8 hours is not going to cut it. Without a spare battery or two I can pop in, I am sunk on those trips.

You're just not flying the right airline.

Normal 110v outlets at every seat... Continental Airlines.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    That may be true. I fly Air France and Delta.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Buy an external battery and get over it.