Nokia Flagship N97 iPhone killer released!

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
...and no one notices.

Actually that's not completely true.

Engadget and GDGT both gave a bit of time to the new Nokia flagship phone.

Neither were very positive.

The GDGT review was particularly withering.

I will paraphrase it:

" The N97 hardware is very good. (apart from the resistive screen)

But for the software Nokia need to take-off nuke the site from orbit and start again.

It's the only way to be sure."

I wonder what next year's smartphone market share pie chart will look like?

C.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Web 2.0-like home page - interesting fresh idea.

The battery of 1500 mAh - it's still the best on the market, I believe.

The launch before iPhone 3G [S] failed, now it's interesting to see what the simultaneous launch can do...

Quarter numbers will tell.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    There is only one company i can see that could possibly kill off the iphone if they wanted to and that is microsoft. That would never happewn though because microsoft would get a lot of flack from their partners if they did .

The only way to KILL the iphone would be to have the hardware,software, and money for the hardware.

Its not just the touch screen that makes the iphone. Its all the APPs. Its the fact that apple controls everything and has the money to market it.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    The N97's home page is cool. The apps have small notification widgets. So the Weather app can display the weather. The email app can display a couple of recent messages and so on.

But the consensus in the reviews is very bad. Despite having a reasonably fast processor, the reviewers describe how the N97 is slow. It does not scroll, but visibly re-draws the screen, sometimes a block at a time.

Nokia don't need more features, they needs to sort out their OS. They need to do a Palm.

C.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Speed is cunningly invented and crafted marketing feature of modern computers. You either can't measure it, or can't compare devices, or just get used to.

In wild, no visible difference can normally be detected.

I celebrate Apple's marketing not for nothing. Say, N97 is indeed superior to iPhone 3G [S] in some domains. Yet, Apple's team has managed to get iPhone selling with unbelievable hurricane success.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    nokia should buy palm and use and develop the os, palm may not have the resources to continue--IMO
  • Reply 6 of 9
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    It has a 434MHz ARM 11 processor, no onboard graphics and 128MB RAM which may have been enough to take on the iPhone 3G but the iPhone 3Gs blows it away performance wise.

Quickoffice has not been developed for Symbian S60 v5 so forget document editing for now, there are less than 600 applications in OVI store for it.

It's not much of an upgrade from the N95 8GB.

You can't underestimate Nokia they are number one and they hope to crack the US market with it.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    faederafaedera Posts: 9member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

Nokia don't need more features, they needs to sort out their OS. They need to do a Palm.

C.

They're in the process of doing just that. It's called Maemo and it's quite good although it's not ready for phones - yet.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by faedera View Post

They're in the process of doing just that. It's called Maemo and it's quite good although it's not ready for phones - yet.

I am not sure why you think it is "quite good". At first glance it seems to be yet another flavor of Linux which has been trimmed-down to work on a mobile platform.

Maemo's current manifestation does not seem any better than Android or WebOS or the iPhone OS. If Nokia want to hit Apple, surely it has to aim a little higher?

What's more is that Nokia's current development community are already pretty unhappy with the problems relating to Symbian. If Nokia decide to dump Symbian in favor of Maemo, will the developers come along for the ride? That's like being dumped by a girlfriend and then getting invited to the wedding.

C.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    I have never seen a product with more feature bloat than this phone. Every thing a phone geek could ask for is in this phone. Yet none of it makes this phone compelling in any way. Will no one learn the lesson that Apple has been teaching for so many years? It is not about the number of features you include; it is about how well you can use what's there. Nokia will never understand that.