The competition: DDR333 RAM w/ front side bus of 533Mhz

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
<http://eetimes.com/semi/news/OEG20020117S0062>

Intel pairs DDR333 RAM with a front side bus of 533Mhz in one of their specs slated for spring.

I at least see IBM mentioned in this so maybe there is hope for Apple.

MSKR

<a href="http://eetimes.com/semi/news/OEG20020117S0062"; target="_blank">EETimes article here on DDR333 RAM w/ front side bus of 533MHZ</a>

[ 01-18-2002: Message edited by: Masker ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Pretty soon their bus speeds will be faster than Apple's processors.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    Hehe, their RAM surely will.

RDRAM is currently at 800MHz...which is going to be upped to 1066MHz in Spring (yeah that does correspond to the new 533MHz front side bus, up from the 400).

If Apple comes out with 1GHz next week and then pauses until summer, Intel will have faster RAM than our CPUs for at least a month. Yeah that's ****ing sad.

G-News
  • Reply 3 of 9
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    [quote]Originally posted by BRussell:

<strong>Pretty soon their bus speeds will be faster than Apple's processors.</strong><hr></blockquote>

lol. I think that is both the funniest and saddest post I have ever seen on these boards
  • Reply 4 of 9
    [quote] Pretty soon their bus speeds will be faster than Apple's processors. <hr></blockquote>

LOL! &lt;wipes tears from face&gt;

Pathetic.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I came in here to post that exact same thing after reading the thread title...

You can be damn sure it will be mentioned everywhere, too.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Hmmm...in April or so, the P4 will get a 533MHz FSB with the Tehama-E chipset.

The Tehama-E is the Tehama (i850) upgraded to support 533MHz FSB and dual-channel PC1066 DRDRAM instead of d/c PC800 DRDRAM.

A more interesting chipset that's in development is currently codenamed Granite Bay, and is expected in Q3 2002. It supports 533MHz FSB P4's with dual-channel PC2100 DDR-SDRAM, possibly PC2700 (333MHz).

The Tehama-E should provide P4's with a pretty nice performance boost.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    [quote]Originally posted by G-News:

<strong>Hehe, their RAM surely will.

RDRAM is currently at 800MHz...which is going to be upped to 1066MHz in Spring (yeah that does correspond to the new 533MHz front side bus, up from the 400).

If Apple comes out with 1GHz next week and then pauses until summer, Intel will have faster RAM than our CPUs for at least a month. Yeah that's ****ing sad.

G-News</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, but it's RDRAM - overpriced and underperforming. DDR Ram at a lower MHz outperforms RDRAM easily (where have I heard that before?). Although for those who think MHz is the be all and end all, it will look pathetic to them.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by G-News:

<strong>...faster RAM than our CPUs for at least a month. Yeah that's ****ing sad.

G-News</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sad, but unfortunately it could be true.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    fluffyfluffy Posts: 361member
    [quote]Originally posted by Kevin Hayes:

<strong>

Yeah, but it's RDRAM - overpriced and underperforming. DDR Ram at a lower MHz outperforms RDRAM easily (where have I heard that before?). Although for those who think MHz is the be all and end all, it will look pathetic to them.</strong><hr></blockquote>

RDRAM prices are lowering rapidly, and the DDR speed advantage was only over the original single channel RDRAM. The dual channel has a significant speed advantage over DDR SDRAM.

When Apple transitions to DDR Ram I hope they take a page from the old 9500 series and implement interleaving, or perhaps switch to a full 128 bit bus for the powermacs. PC2700 on a 128 bit bus would be comfortably faster than 1066MHz dual channel RDRAM. I can't say that I see it happening though.

What is sad is that Apple used to be light years ahead of the PC world in both hardware and software, even if their cases were rather generic. Now we've got pretty Macs with a nice OS, but there is absolutely NO hardware innovation whatsoever occurring. Oh wait, the new iMac has a round motherboard.