Apple updates Final Cut Pro, Time Capsule and AirPort firmware

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday released Final Cut Pro 6.0.6 to address playback issues on certain Mac Pro and Xserve systems. Separately, the company also issued a bug fix update for Time Capsule, AirPort Extreme, and AirPort Express Base Stations that include 802.11n support.

Final Cut Pro 6.0.6

Apple said that FinalÂ*CutÂ*ProÂ*6.0.6 (19.15MB download) improves real-time playback capabilities with MacÂ*Pro (Early 2009) models and Xserve (Early 2009) models when working with complex sequences or high-bandwidth media formats.

AirPort Base Station Firmware Update 7.4.2

Meanwhile, Firmware Update 7.4.2, which can be downloaded by launching the AirPort Utility application located in your Mac's utility folder, provides Time Capsule, AirPort Extreme, and AirPort Express Base Station supporting 802.11n with several fixes, including:

Fixes some problems with extending and maintaining connectivity with extended networks

Fixes an issue with clients that enable 802.11 "Power Save"

Fixes connectivity issues with some third-party devices

Fixes an issue when the base station is configured for PPPoE

Fixes some Back To My Mac issues with connectivity and support for third-party routers

Apple recommends that AirPort Utility 5.4.2 (Mac download, Windows download) or later be installed before upgrading to Firmware version 7.4.2.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Hope this finally fixes the Back \to my Mac issue
  • Reply 2 of 14
    I will hold off on the Airport update till others give it a go - the last update borked my airtunes and mapping of all my music to my network drive due to some IPV6 issue. Had to rebuild everything and lost my playlists, major PITA..
  • Reply 3 of 14
    davidtdavidt Posts: 112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by _newmacfanboy_ View Post

I will hold off on the Airport update till others give it a go..

This seems the best policy. I always feel a bit selfish doing this, but I can't afford a breakdown here either.

There appear to be so many people who enjoy installing updates as fast as possible, and I am grateful to them for testing these updates and posting their experiences here.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    After 7.4.1 I had all sorts of interruptions when streaming music from my 802.11n AX to my 802.11 AE. And this was in a 1 room apartment with the airport a couple feet from the express :|
  • Reply 5 of 14
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    Hopefully they fixed the IPv6 issues.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    davidtdavidt Posts: 112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RoamingGnome View Post

And this was in a 1 room apartment with the airport a couple feet from the express :|

Just a couple of years ago people would have had no idea what the heck this could mean.

I love how new tech changes they way we use language and raises eyebrows amongst those not 'in the know'
  • Reply 7 of 14
    gregoriusmgregoriusm Posts: 513member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidT View Post

Just a couple of years ago people would have had no idea what the heck this could mean.

I love how new tech changes they way we use language and raises eyebrows amongst those not 'in the know'

Too funny! And so true!
  • Reply 8 of 14
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by _newmacfanboy_ View Post

I will hold off on the Airport update till others give it a go - the last update borked my airtunes and mapping of all my music to my network drive due to some IPV6 issue. Had to rebuild everything and lost my playlists, major PITA..

Ok, I gave it a go... go for it.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

Ok, I gave it a go... go for it.

I too installed it and it seems OK on my TC500 with iMac, TiBook500 and Windoze acer laptop. I did not do full regression but compared it to problems I had with prev 7.4.1 (did not use) and it seems superior - i.e., it works.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RoamingGnome View Post

After 7.4.1 I had all sorts of interruptions when streaming music from my 802.11n AX to my 802.11 AE. And this was in a 1 room apartment with the airport a couple feet from the express :|

I had a similar issue after some update, and chased the problem to no avail. I moved shit all over the house, restarted, reset ad nauseum, I finally found this article:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA21538?viewlocale=en_US

I had been running everything on channel 11 before the update and after; I switched to channel 6, and everything has been flawless since.

By everything I mean:

A 2 story 3000 sq ft house with 3- 12" steel I-beams supporting the floor joists (nice signal blockers);

2 Aiport Extreme base stations; one as a base (downstairs), one as a relay (upstairs, to get around the I-Beams);

5 Airport Express for AirTunes. (I have more old stereo crap than I know what to do with, so, I did this...)

I can run it all from my iPhone.

I was really pissed when it all started acting like the microwave was running all the time; the switch to CH 6 fixed everything.

From now on, I'm checking the K-base FIRST, before I piss away a few weekends looking for a bigger problem than there really is...

Might want to give this a try.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    oh, yeah... AirFoil now works like a charm, too, if you are looking for expanded options (like connecting an old receiver to the Audio -In on your Mac, so you can do crap like play your old LPs on a turntable and stream that through out the ranch... if you were so inclined...)
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Hopefully this fixes the issue I had when my WDS main router died.

(power surge -- someone had moved the power cord from the main to a wall outlet and plugged a monitor into its battery-backed plug on the UPS. Yeah. Angry face.)

The problem:

I had two extremes (main and relay) and an express.

When the main died, there was no getting the network up again.

Relocating and reconfiguring the relay didn't work. Resetting the new-main and express to their defaults and 'rebuilding' the network didn't work. The express and new-main just would not establish a connection.

With mounting frustration, I rolled back the firmware on the new-main and express, reapplied the settings I was previously trying and everything worked fine the first try.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    3 features still notably missing from 802.11n AirPort Extreme BaseStation and Time Capsule are (1) QoS for ensuring consistent bandwidth to applications such as streaming video and online game, (2) SPI for enhanced protection, and (3) DLNA for interoperability.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    trajectorytrajectory Posts: 647member
    Now it's time for Apple to update the Apple TV software and give it a complete overhaul. It's one of the worse interfaces I've seen from Apple and it desperately needs improvement.