Apogee strikes again with ONE

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
This is the right product at the right time.

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/one.php

Here's what you get.

Audio Interface

Condenser Mic

Line Level audio input

48 volt phantom power for mic pre

$249.

I think i've just found my next interface. I've been wanting to muck around with GarageBand more and this is the perfect accessory. Works in any Core Audio application.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    I have a Duo. While this looks interesting, I am concerned that there is no stereo output apart from the headphone jack. This is not a good solution for pro studio monitors. This may be perfectly acceptable for hooking up computer speakers. I recommend the SoundSticks II. Also, I wonder how useful the built-in mic will be. The single channel inputs mean no stereo micing. Again, not a problem for a guitar + vocal. It is a limited device with very specific uses. The lack of versatility and price lead me to believe that there are far better values in the USB interface space for non-pro users wanting to mess around with GB or do demo work. If you decide to get it, please post your experience.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

I have a Duo. While this looks interesting, I am concerned that there is no stereo output apart from the headphone jack. This is not a good solution for pro studio monitors. This may be perfectly acceptable for hooking up computer speakers. I recommend the SoundSticks II. Also, I wonder how useful the built-in mic will be. The single channel inputs mean no stereo micing. Again, not a problem for a guitar + vocal. It is a limited device with very specific uses. The lack of versatility and price lead me to believe that there are far better values in the USB interface space for non-pro users wanting to mess around with GB or do demo work. If you decide to get it, please post your experience.

Yeah I will certainly post my experience. I can live (for now) without stereo mic inputs. My hope is that the built in condenser mic is solid enough for me to get started and that I will eventually get an acoustic guitar with line output so that I can go right into GarageBand and use the amp simulators. '

I'm hoping for Apogee quality here but I'll temper my expectations with reality. This device "is" only $249. I'm not going to expect miracles.

I'm thinking about getting some Audio Engine W5 active speakers. I'm tired of the clutter of a 2.1 system. I don't need low bass (I've got headphones for that) I need great midrange and high end for the price.

The ONE certainly is going to be limited. My guess is it'll hold me over until there's a Duet II with improved features. At least the Maestro software will be the same.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    I seriously doubt they will skimp on sound quality. I am very happy with the sound of the Duet (I called it Duo in my last post). I am hoping they will produce a USB interface along the lines of the Duet with USB and midi inputs. The device could also stand to be a tad smaller. I also like the idea of a built-in condenser. It is obviously small diaphragm. I wonder if it would be good for podcasting and interviews or even whole room applications like church services, lectures, and choirs. This could be the perfect podcaster solution. I have a keen interest in this type of consumer recording gear, even if I don't need it at the time. I love tech that enables average people to do what would have cost tens of thousands of dollars to do just a few years ago.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Yeah a Duet Mk II with midi added to the breakout cables would be the bee's knees here. Though I'm excited to get some Apogee product for such a good price even with limitation and knowing that Apogee has gone Mac only means they'll be 100% focused on support Mac OS X with good drivers.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    shroudshroud Posts: 30member
    hmmm, [breaks out into song and dance] "I guess your just what I needed, Just what I needed". I may have to pick one of these things up. Thanks for the find hmurchison.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    My wife bought a digital recorder for her grand piano. It was rather inexpensive and works very well. Built in stereo microphones, too, with two different patterns available. There are many things that are better if you want to spend a lot more money. For this I think she was less than $200.

http://www.samsontech.com/products/p...fm?prodid=1916
  • Reply 7 of 8
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

My wife bought a digital recorder for her grand piano. It was rather inexpensive and works very well. Built in stereo microphones, too, with two different patterns available. There are many things that are better if you want to spend a lot more money. For this I think she was less than $200.

http://www.samsontech.com/products/p...fm?prodid=1916

Entirely different product category. The H2 is a portable stereo digital recorder. The Apogee One is a USB audio interface designed to work with Apple's sound programs that happens to feature a built in mic as a kind of bonus.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    graemegraeme Posts: 61member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Entirely different product category. The H2 is a portable stereo digital recorder. The Apogee One is a USB audio interface designed to work with Apple's sound programs that happens to feature a built in mic as a kind of bonus.

The Zoom line portable recorders do work as a USB interface as well. i.e. record through and monitoring-( although that feature is not there main marketing feature) not sure how the specs match up to the onboard recording for the H2.

I have a Zoom H4N http://www.samsontech.com/products/p...m?prodID=1994- although I don't use it as an interface. as have a TC electronics interface - http://www.tcelectronic.com/DesktopKonnekt6.asp which i think is around the same price as the Apogee - the TC electronics Konnekt 6 is a stripped down piece of kit (only one mic input / 2 x lINE/INST) which has made room for good quality components. I use it for monitoring and the occasional voice over as it has a good level meter, nice knobs and full size inputs/outputs- no need for a nasty breakout cable. chose it over the Apogee.

The Konnekt 6 is firewire only so might not plug in to all Macs.