Bigger bug in custom HD icon

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I can't change it. I delete the old custom icon and it goes away, but I can't paste anything over the default icon. If I go to OS 9 and paste the new one on that HD, it pastes OK. When I go back to OS X, The old icon is showing again.

Is there any way to change my HD icon now?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Sometimes you have to change the icon, then logout and log back in. Also you have to use OS X icons not OS 9 icons.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    1) Icons are just pictures, any of them will work fine. It's just that OS 9 icons are 32x32 pixels, so they'll look crappy at any resolution above that, and most icons in OS X are larger than 32x32.

2) There's an Apple Knowledge Base article describing this problem. It says that sometimes, if you try to paste one custom icon over another custom icon, it doesn't do anything and if you try to hit the delete key it will revert the picture back to the original or something. Anyway, messing with icons in any way other than you're supposed to (delete any custom icon, THEN paste in new icon) can cause problems, which are remedied by restarting. Don't bother going to OS 9 though, it won't help.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    <a href="http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107343"; target="_blank">Mac OS X 10.2: Pasting Custom Icons Over Custom Icons Does Not Always Work</a>?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Like I said, OS 9 DOES have influence.

And the word BIGGER is in the title because it is a DIFFERENT issue than the typical 'can't paste over icons.'

Follow me: I delete the old custom icon on the HD and it goes to default and is impossible to change in OS X (yes, I tried logging out). Deleting the custom icon on my HD in OS X also deletes my entirely different custom icon in OS 9. At this point I paste in a new custom icon over the HD in OS 9. When I go back to X, the original custom icon (the one I deleted in the beginning and NOT the icon I just pasted in 9) shows back up.

This is only with the icon for the system drive and is an entirely DIFFERENT behavior from any other custom icons I have encountered in OS X.

Oh well, unless someone comes in with new info, I will just have to use this demo version of candybar or just swap out the defaults through the shell.

I don't want to move to 10.2.4 since it seems to have some issues.

Thanks for your help

[ 02-28-2003: Message edited by: giant ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 5
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Sometimes when I run a disk utility part of fixing my internal drive is "custom icon missing" and it erases my HD icon making it the default disk one again. Weird and disturbing. Why?