Help! My Boss is Cheap!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Just curious how many design firms are non mac based? I work for a web design / media company that employs about 60 people and we are PC based. My boss is cheap and thinks macs are a rip off. Although half of our creative department brings their own macbooks to work, most don't use them for work.

Are there any numbers that can be given or benefits that can be shown to give the boss incentive to go mac? Or is he right, are macs really just a rip off for what we do? What I mean by that is; are they really more of just a luxury computer rather then a better workhorse for the price?

Note: most of us here are running $300-400 Dell desktops.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    You need to demonstrate that you'll be more productive with Macs or that they'll have a lower cost of ownership.

There was an article a few years back that purported to show that Macs do have a lower total cost of ownership. I would google it and you'll probably be able to find it and show it to him.

Its not unreasonable for your boss to pick cheap Dell machines for you to work with. You'll have to come up with a compelling reason for him to change.

Here's a link. There are more. Google is your friend.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    floorjackfloorjack Posts: 2,726member
    Don't annoy your boss. Just use the PeeCee and smile.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

Don't annoy your boss. Just use the PeeCee and smile.

Agreed. ApplePi, you can play this four ways. 1) you can find a way to respectfully show why using Macs would be in the best financial interest of the company. 2) suck it up and use what they give you. 3) Get a new job at a firm that uses Macs. 4) be a pain to your boss and probably get fired. The one thing they are not going to do is change for your personal preference.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    One of the Mac's biggest advantages is being a reliable all-round machine. If you are doing a specific job for example design work all day, you only need it to do that job well.

Given the price/performance ratio you can get with standard PC desktops, I'd agree Mac desktops are a rip-off (you can get double the performance for half the price = 4x better on the PC side). I personally choose to use a Mac because of the OS, not the hardware. I would be content to run a Windows PC at work if on a restricted office budget it meant being able to run the software twice as quickly.

If you really want to use a Mac, tell your boss to take the money out your salary over the year. This would be $100 a month for a year or $50 over 2 years. Then if as mentioned, you are more productive, you may get a bonus to make up for the loss.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    They are paying you, right? Right. Use what they want you to use.