Adobe Photoshop CS3 beta to drop this friday

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    I'll just quietly wait for some site to offer the beta without needing to get it right from adobe thank you.
  • Reply 22 of 62
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    I only have PS CS1. It runs like absolute crap on my Mac Pro.

I'm not just talking about speed, either. There are bugs up the wazoo

CS3 beta requires a CS2 key to download (according to this article.

I wonder how illegal it would be to torrent the CS3 beta, since they're technically giving it away 'free'.

I need to do something, because I'm certainly not buying CS2 just to use CS3 for a few months (until the beta expires). CS1 works JUST well enough not to shell out all that scratch (which I wont have until February).
  • Reply 24 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matthew Yohe

"drop" Wow.

Exactly. I understand the Intel users drooling, but I'm sticking with CS2*

And what will really be so new about it besides that?

Incorporation of Macromedia's features/software?

Seems to get more bloated with each version.

* I own an eMac.

• Reply 25 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by @_@ Artman

......Exactly. I understand the Intel users drooling, but I'm sticking with CS2*

* I own an eMac.

CS3 Photoshop non-destructive filter layers is big. CS2 Photoshop was good with draggable masks. CS2 Photoshop on PC was not too bloated at all compared to CS1. On PC. CS3 Dreamweaver and Flash should be good, Macromedia writes lean and mean code. I was going to say something mean about y'all not being real pro users, but neither am I. Heh.

Adobe CS3 Universal will be good, overall. No software is perfect, and Adobe/Macromedia are not to be treated as the hallowed saviours of the Mac world, but this will be interesting.
  • Reply 26 of 62
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by @_@ Artman

Exactly. I understand the Intel users drooling, but I'm sticking with CS2*

* I own an eMac.

I would actually expect CS3 to be less bloated. It is a complete overhaul and users who do a lot of web stuff won't need to have as many programs open at once. The package should be much more tightly integrated. I can see Adobe having 3 main products:

Photoshop/After Effects style program for video and image manipulation

Illustrator/Flash program for vector and motion graphics

Dreamweaver/Indesign for page layout and web publishing

It should be more optimized for GPUs and especially the Intel Dual Core CPUs so it's going to make you eMac look very old. In terms of raw processing, a native optimized Intel app is really 4-5 times faster than the equivalent on a G4.
  • Reply 27 of 62
    Gooooo Apple! Adobe CS3 Universal will *definitely* spur further sales of Macs, so that is one thing I am definitely thrilled about. It could be as significant as 300,000 extra units of Mac sales globally *per quarter*. 8) Beware of course of analysts saying this *alone* would be HUGE for Apple... but if you own stock and the analyst-speak pushes AAPL past $110, more power to the shareholders. I'm not gonna player-hate... unless the analysts push the share price down.
  • Reply 28 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

I would actually expect CS3 to be less bloated. It is a complete overhaul and users who do a lot of web stuff won't need to have as many programs open at once. The package should be much more tightly integrated...

Hopefully there was a huge amount of legacy stuff thrown out the window. I wouldn't expect hardcore Core Image GPU stuff though, but the talk of non-destructive filters may mean that. We'll have to see... iPhoto Core Image non-destructive image filter adjustments is heavily CPU-bound on my parents' iBook G4 933mhz, and it is quite slow. But for the latest MacBookPro, iMacCore2Duo, and MacPro, damn....... as long as bugs are ironed out over the next few months, CS3 full suite should really friggin' screeeeam. And bring back those that "defected" to PC over the past 2-3 years. Over the course of 2007 and 2008.

And as mentioned, there's good synergy with studios and general users (pro, hobby, consumer, whatever) upgrading from PPC to MacIntel and CS1/CS2 to CS3. Maybe all this talk of Adobe CS3 will remind the general/ business public that Apple actually makes computers, too...
  • Reply 29 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman

...CS3 Dreamweaver and Flash should be good, Macromedia writes lean and mean code...

Should be noted though that with Flash ActionScript 2.0/ 3.0 becoming a full-on object-oriented programming language besides the animation stuff... Hope they work out some of those bugs too. AFAIK there's a lot of workarounds that need to be done in very full-on (yes that word again), complex ActionScript-driven Flash *applications*.

*Sigh* I am quite out of the loop these days though, but I'm sure I'll find my feet again sometime over the next few years. Maybe I'll start a winery or something... Not in Australia, because of the drought... Maybe... hmm... somewhere else. I guess I've always been a dreamer.

Yes, okay, last time I repeat it though, I'm happy for Apple. It's great that before Spring (Northern Hemisphere) hits (before Christmas 2006!!) we have Photoshop CS3 MacIntel beta.
  • Reply 30 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat

And it's official: http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2006/12...ncing_the.html

Good catch mate.
  • Reply 31 of 62
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    [blip]
  • Reply 32 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman

Yes, okay, last time I repeat it though, I'm happy for Apple. It's great that before Spring (Northern Hemisphere) hits (before Christmas 2006!!) we have Photoshop CS3 MacIntel beta.

I'll give Adobe that good move. I don't want to rain on the MacIntel parade. And maybe they did trim it down. But right now I've got what I need and it's working out for me. I might download the Windows version at work for the hell of it. They're not letting unregistered users with much time to kick the tires though (2 days?).

• Reply 33 of 62
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Hey Artman (as in Artman from Philly right?), how the hell are ya? Long time no see. Hey my condolences about the Flyers.
  • Reply 34 of 62
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Any Idea how it will run on a Macbook?

I need it mainly for Web Design, and some Graphics for those Web Designs...

Sebastian
  • Reply 35 of 62
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis

Any Idea how it will run on a Macbook?

I need it mainly for Web Design, and some Graphics for those Web Designs...

Sebastian

it'll run great.

but for those of you with windows installed on your macbook, just download Paint.NET . It has nearly all the functionality of photoshop and its free. Looks and works identical. $659 for photoshop my goodness....

http://www.getpaint.net/index2.html
  • Reply 36 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau

it'll run great.

Thanks

Sebastian
  • Reply 37 of 62
  • Reply 38 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rob05au

Or if you cannot wait try this

Code:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitlement/index.cfm?e=labs_photoshop

Thanks...

The DMG is Huge !_! and I thought the InDesign Trial was large...

Sebastian
  • Reply 39 of 62
    Do you know if they are going to release Indesign CS3 beta at all?

Yeah I was slightly shocked at the size of the dmg myself
  • Reply 40 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rob05au

Do you know if they are going to release Indesign CS3 beta at all?

Yeah I was slightly shocked at the size of the dmg myself

Um... more likely then not.

How is it? I still have 15 minutes to go before it's done.

Sebastian