Would you eat cloned meat?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
The FDA has recently approved the selling of unlabeled cloned meat in super markets. But this also applies to non-Americans too; this also allows cloned meat to be exported to other countries. It took them 5 years to determine that cloned meat was safe for consumption. Would you eat it if you knew? If not, why not?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 70
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    I fail to see which logic could lead to normal meat being okay but clone meat being bad. "Separate but indistinguishable from the original" is pretty much the definition of "clone", right? So you can't tell which one is original and which one the clone.
  • Reply 2 of 70
    We already do to a large degree... Meat factory animals are almost clonal...
  • Reply 3 of 70
    Would you date cloned Swedish models?
  • Reply 4 of 70
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I hope to someday transplant my brain into a cloned "Me", and I'll take a half dozen of the cloned Swedish models as a take out order.
  • Reply 5 of 70
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    What we really should figure out how to do is how to drop the animals out of the meat production process and instead grow meat as a kind of tissue culture.
  • Reply 6 of 70
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Why not? I eat other kinds of meat. However I'm with Shetline. We should figure out how to take animals out of the equation. Better for them and better for us in the long run.

When you think about it in our enlightened culture of the 21rst century it is kind of barbaric to kill animals for food. Also growing tissue wouldn't require the kind of resources we have devoted now to raising and slaughtering animals.

It's just a better way to go about it.
  • Reply 7 of 70
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Would I have a choice? I wouldn't know the difference and likely wouldn't care.

As for taking Animals out of the equation, it's a noble cause, but not one I'm willing to devote myself to because I have other interests at heart. Perhaps someone on these Forums would be willing to research it, but I haven't seen anything about that anywhere so I can't say it's also a realistic goal.

Sebastian
  • Reply 8 of 70
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shetline View Post

What we really should figure out how to do is how to drop the animals out of the meat production process and instead grow meat as a kind of tissue culture.

Like in the Dune books, they have a meat called 'slig', half pig, half slug. Basically a brainless pig that grows and replicates like a worm would.
  • Reply 9 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

Like in the Dune books, they have a meat called 'slig', half pig, half slug. Basically a brainless pig that grows and replicates like a worm would.

Yes, but then you'd have radical slig protection organizations popping up... if the Landsraad would allow it...
  • Reply 10 of 70
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Quote:

Male or female?
  • Reply 11 of 70
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    mmm, lovely delicious tumor in a tube. wanna slice? medium rare?
  • Reply 12 of 70
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Um. No?
  • Reply 13 of 70
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

Um. No?

Oh, I'm sure a lot of people, if they're going to eat meat at all, are going to prefer to eat it the olde-fashioned way -- as chunks of flesh stripped off the carcass of a once-breathing animal -- but I think that's an attitude that can be changed over time.

I'm not a vegetarian, so I obviously must accept the idea of slaughtering animals to eat them. But if we could not only eliminate that step, but at the same time create healthier meat products which are more efficient to produce than methods which have to contend with livestock, why not do so?
  • Reply 14 of 70
    Like my friend Volker, I think Chucker is just espousing the German gestalt that meat should be, well meaty... I honestly don't think that they see the pig as a pig, but rather as one of those ceramic pigs diagramming where the bits of meat actually come from. Consider it a unique cultural skill...
  • Reply 15 of 70
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

But if we could not only eliminate that step, but at the same time create healthier meat products which are more efficient to produce than methods which have to contend with livestock, why not do so?

No, that would be perverted.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hardeeharhar View Post

Like my friend Volker, I think Chucker is just espousing the German gestalt that meat should be, well meaty... I honestly don't think that they see the pig as a pig, but rather as one of those ceramic pigs diagramming where the bits of meat actually come from. Consider it a unique cultural skill...

• Reply 16 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo View Post

Male or female?

Your choice... all prime cuts, low fat.
  • Reply 17 of 70
    Quote:

Oh, I'm sure a lot of people, if they're going to eat meat at all, are going to prefer to eat it the olde-fashioned way -- as chunks of flesh stripped off the carcass of a once-breathing animal -- but I think that's an attitude that can be changed over time.

I'm not a vegetarian, so I obviously must accept the idea of slaughtering animals to eat them. But if we could not only eliminate that step, but at the same time create healthier meat products which are more efficient to produce than methods which have to contend with livestock, why not do so?

What about cloned tofu?
  • Reply 18 of 70
    Quote:

I think cloning, or, rather, genetic engineering, is perhaps the only way the human race can successfully evolve in a welfare state, and/or without space colonization.

With that said, though, I like the Czech models better.
  • Reply 19 of 70
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I don't see curently the interest of cloned meat.

In a theorical point of vue, cloned meat appears safe, but when you are in front of new technologies, there is some chances that some hidden backside effects might appear. I don't worry for short time backside effects at all. But I worry the long term ones.
  • Reply 20 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Powerdoc View Post

I don't see curently the interest of cloned meat.

In a theorical point of vue, cloned meat appears safe, but when you are in front of new technologies, there is some chances that some hidden backside effects might appear. I don't worry for short time backside effects at all. But I worry the long term ones.

I agree with the unknown effects theory. Although clones are essentially twins of the original, there was genetic damage found in Dolly the sheep. Ingestion of genetically damaged products could also theoretically damage the consumer. Remember, mad cow disease happened because livestock were fed parts of other cows.

If the normal genetic variety and minor mutations found in nature are narrowed and a disease wipes out the genetically similar animal population, we're screwed... in a really, really big way.