12 inch macbook pro

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
So, it looks like no ultra-thin/ultra-portable macbook is coming anytime soon? I was hoping from all the rumors that we might see one at Macworld.

I'm interested in making the switch to Mac when I get my next laptop but several pc models in the ultra-portable range are a 1-2 pounds lighter than the macbooks.

Any credible word that we'll see that much rumored 12-inch in the next few months?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    smaxsmax Posts: 361member
    I can't really see this happening without using an external CD drive.... something that Jobs won't do.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poohlp View Post

So, it looks like no ultra-thin/ultra-portable macbook is coming anytime soon? I was hoping from all the rumors that we might see one at Macworld.

I'm interested in making the switch to Mac when I get my next laptop but several pc models in the ultra-portable range are a 1-2 pounds lighter than the macbooks.

Any credible word that we'll see that much rumored 12-inch in the next few months?

I was hoping for one too. The weight doesn't matter so much to me as the form factor. I just find moving anything larger than 12" clumsy (putting underwear on is a nightmare). The trouble is, I think it will be as clumsy as the Macbook because it will probably still be widescreen. The old powerbook wasn't and it helped a lot.

Sony can fit a Core Solo into a 10" I believe, so I imagine Apple would be able to get a Core 2 Duo into something of similar proportions.

Because Apple are taking to announcing hardware updates whenever they feel like it instead of at major events, it makes it hard to predict when it will come. Usually you look at suppliers for updates but the problem here is it would be a new product.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smax View Post

I can't really see this happening without using an external CD drive.... something that Jobs won't do.

Unless he can do it in some uber-cool fashion... like wireless! How about an 802.11n DVD burner? Or Apple TV/DVD! Stream iTunes and DVD content to any computer in your house.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    I don't see why they couldn't at least get something a little lighter. Sony's got a machine that spec wise is equal to the pro in a 13.3 inch that weighs a mere 3.8 pounds. I know there are differences hardware wise, but there has to be a way to trim the fat just a little
  • Reply 5 of 14
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:

I don't see why they couldn't at least get something a little lighter. Sony's got a machine that spec wise is equal to the pro in a 13.3 inch that weighs a mere 3.8 pounds. I know there are differences hardware wise, but there has to be a way to trim the fat just a little

What I think is really holding back laptops is the battery. They keep making innovations in hard drives and slim optical drives but the batteries are still really heavy and only last a few hours.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

What I think is really holding back laptops is the battery. They keep making innovations in hard drives and slim optical drives but the batteries are still really heavy and only last a few hours.

Good point. How about mini nuclear reactors that could power a laptop for some months non stop? BOOM!

However, despite the progress in hard drive technology, I think we have yet to see the leap that we saw with the rest of the major computer components, like CPU and GPU, when we look around ten years back.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:

when is this rumor gonna end?

apple is done with 12 inch screens. if anything, a macbook mini would be the same 13in widescreen in a thinner, lighter form factor. and they arent gonna make one unless its fully featured too (that means full battery, dvdrom, full size keyboard, etc).

and its not gonna be cheap either. keeping something full featured and at the same time miniaturized comes at a price premium. expect $1800 or more.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iggypopped View Post

when is this rumor gonna end?

apple is done with 12 inch screens. if anything, a macbook mini would be the same 13in widescreen in a thinner, lighter form factor. and they arent gonna make one unless its fully featured too (that means full battery, dvdrom, full size keyboard, etc).

and its not gonna be cheap either. keeping something full featured and at the same time miniaturized comes at a price premium. expect $1800 or more.

I use a MacBook now, but I would be all over a 13" Mac Book Pro if it was as thin and came with an aluminum enclosure and a real graphics card that could drive a big external display. I would pay not 1800, but 2400 for something like that. 2500 if they throw in the backlit keyboard.

Apple's current portable lineup is terrible. Mac Book Pros at 15" and higher are not exactly portable. The 13" MacBooks are, but you don't want to take them off your desk because that enclosure is so scratchable. At least the white one is, I don't know about the black, but I don't like the matte finish on the black MacBooks anyway.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    How about something extrapolated from the iPhone?

You don't really need an optical drive, or even a physical keyboard.

Think along the lines of a Nintendo DS--two touch-sensitive screens,

using the "Multi-touch" technology. You can use one as a virtual

keyboard, or, if you prefer, as a tablet.

With high-speed Wi-Fi ability and the ability to sync with your

main computer via iTunes or whatever, imagine how light and

small this could be...(Newton, anyone?) Your only limitation would be

comfortable keyboard input, so maybe an 8-10" screen minimum?

As for battery life, Panasonic makes ultralite computers that have

a 12 to 15 hour battery life. If they can do it, why can't Apple?
  • Reply 10 of 14
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    I wonder where our good old friend Kormac is these days. He always raised my hopes for an Apple subnotebook with his wonderful tales.

At this point I'm tempted to get a MacBook, simply because I really would like to use Boot Camp to run Windows apps for work, while keeping OS X for all my personal needs. But the small and light form factor of my 12-inch PowerBook is just so much nicer.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    kzelk4kzelk4 Posts: 100member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kiseki View Post

How about something extrapolated from the iPhone?

You don't really need an optical drive, or even a physical keyboard.

Think along the lines of a Nintendo DS--two touch-sensitive screens,

using the "Multi-touch" technology. You can use one as a virtual

keyboard, or, if you prefer, as a tablet.

With high-speed Wi-Fi ability and the ability to sync with your

main computer via iTunes or whatever, imagine how light and

small this could be...(Newton, anyone?) Your only limitation would be

comfortable keyboard input, so maybe an 8-10" screen minimum?

because it would have 2 screens
  • Reply 12 of 14
    eat@meeat@me Posts: 321member
    8 inches and wide
  • Reply 13 of 14
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kiseki View Post

They use ultra-low power devices, which are very costly. Such a laptop easily retails $2k and above.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Escher View Post

I wonder where our good old friend Kormac is these days. He always raised my hopes for an Apple subnotebook with his wonderful tales.

At this point I'm tempted to get a MacBook, simply because I really would like to use Boot Camp to run Windows apps for work, while keeping OS X for all my personal needs. But the small and light form factor of my 12-inch PowerBook is just so much nicer.

There you are Escher! Thought you'd wander back with the latest gossip. Good to know you haven't gotten stuck in any trees while cloud-hopping!