No Guts, No Glory - The AI Nike Plus User Group

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hey Folks,

Your ever cheerful, happy mod Graham here. Like many others I bought a pair of Nike shoes (cheaper than expected), the Sport Kit (great price, shipping price was atrocious to Canada from roadrunnersports.com - though it did arrive the next day) and a 1GB Nano. The Kool Aid was extra

I started running with it last night. I set a goal of 65km over the next month (I've been doing about half an hour on the treadmill every night, but I wasn't sure the distance) - needless to say I did 7 KM my first run through and it was easier than usual. Voice feedback and decent metrics on the iPod itself was pretty stellar.

The biggest "Wow" I had of the night was when I uploaded to the Nike Plus web applet - it was silky smooth and the way the metrics are recorded is pretty cool to watch.

I said to myself "Self," I said, "You need more Nike Plus equipped friends! You need to compete! To push others and to have others push you! Where, oh self, would I find such people?"

Apple Insider, of course!

Enter good old .Mac and user groups. I just created the

Apple Insider Nike Plus User Group

(it's Apple related, it has to be a user group, alright?

So Here's the Deal:

If you've got the right stuff:
  • Nike + Shoes

• Nike + iPod Sport Kit

• iPod Nano

• The Touch, and possiby the Powaaaaah (Yeah!)

We (and by we I mean I, right now) want you!

To join send a quick email to me at owner-ainpug at groups.mac.com or visit The AINPUG Group Site - note you will need a .mac ID, whether you're on a Mac or a PC. .Mac ID's are free.

Member names, Goal Details and Challenges will be posted both on the .Mac group and here in this thread.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    grahamwgrahamw Posts: 575member
    Anyone interested? At all? I'll leave this up for the rest of the week and if it's a no, I'll delete the thread.

Kind of a cool thing - did a long run today - 8km. After my run my iPod played a congratulatory message from Lance Armstrong. Anyway.
  • Reply 2 of 44
    As we rapidly close in on the death of this thread I thought I might just chime in one more time: They've now added Canada to the Leaderboards.

As of Saturday I should be in the top ten for males 20-29 in Canada. That's my little happy moment.
  • Reply 3 of 44
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    If they worked with the odometer on my mountain bike, I'd think about maybe putting away a quarter a day to buy those fancy shoes.. but I don't run

I buy my shoes at a running-hobbyist shop and they never recommend nikes.. They don't really make good 'running' shoes from what I understand about this whole 'running' business. maybe if Apple supported Mizuno or Adidas or something...
  • Reply 4 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slughead

If they worked with the odometer on my mountain bike, I'd think about maybe putting away a quarter a day to buy those fancy shoes.. but I don't run

I buy my shoes at a running-hobbyist shop and they never recommend nikes.. They don't really make good 'running' shoes from what I understand about this whole 'running' business. maybe if Apple supported Mizuno or Adidas or something...

As far as I can tell the shoes are good - but I won't profess to have a professional opinion. All I can attest to is that they're comfortable, they're light and I've run farther in the last week than I have so far this year. I've actually got motivation to run.

It's kind of neat to hear from famous athletes when you finish a run - last night Lance Armstrong told me I set a new personal best for the mile
  • Reply 5 of 44
    I'm in by god!

I've done 3 runs.

just 2 miles each, but that's 4km or so

and only one gay push of the "PowerSong" button!! Devo's 'Whip it"

it's a start

it's definitely motivating. I feel so much accomplishment when i plug in my Nano and see the lil' Nike dude run up and down across my screen, taking the Hell i've just been through in stride.

Graham, i'm with yo to start an AI Nike+ movement!!

Also, if I lose 10 pounds i've been promised to get nightly BJs. Nightly. There's the true motivation!!

• Reply 6 of 44
    I tried to connect to your usergroup but no bueno. Help me run. I will run you into the ground.
  • Reply 7 of 44
    bdj21yabdj21ya Posts: 297member
    Apparently you can't get on with a .mac login, you have to have an upgraded .mac account. Sorry, but I think $100 is a bit steep, even though I'd love to be a part of the running group.

The Air Moires are great, very lightweight, and not expensive as running shoes go. I'd recommend them to anyone, even those who don't have a Nano yet.
  • Reply 8 of 44
    f1turbof1turbo Posts: 257member
    I'm having one issue with this system. Why does it take so many steps to stop the workout?

Here's what happens to me. I prep the nano with how far I want to run. I put the nano in the Apple/Nike armband with the raised buttons on the outside. Press one button, I'm off and clock is running. Complete run, push pause button, at which time the voice says press menu to end the workout. I press menu. The workout doesn't end, it's still on pause and adding time and distance. So now my 5K run time has 600m of walk time added to it, and my pace is off.

What I have to do to end the workout is stop (instead of walking to cool down), disassemble the nano/armband combination, press menu button, scroll down to 'end workout,' select. You don't have enough control and feedback of the nano in an armband, or in one of Nike shirts designed to carry the iPod, to perform these steps reliably.

I think the workout should end after a pause and a menu button push.

How's the group going? I'll check it out.
  • Reply 9 of 44
    Cannot get to your user group. I am a .mac member.
  • Reply 10 of 44
    If I weren't deaf and crippled, I'd be all over this!
  • Reply 11 of 44
    why is this post a sticky? is the nano running dongle that popular?
  • Reply 12 of 44
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Been sick the past week so haven't been to the gym. Wah!
  • Reply 13 of 44
    I'd love to join, but my .mac membership expired a few months ago. I already have everything I need, and have been using the Nike + iPod kit since sometime in July.
  • Reply 14 of 44
    I'm posting because I recently bought some Nike trainers (I only buy Nike or Asics, but Asics stopped making non-wide shoes a few years ago). The last three pairs I've bought have been from the Air Zoom series, which doesn't seem to have any "Plus" compatible models.

Out of curiosity, is there a good place to go to find a listing of Plus compatible models? Shox are for babies.
  • Reply 16 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel

I'm posting because I recently bought some Nike trainers (I only buy Nike or Asics, but Asics stopped making non-wide shoes a few years ago). The last three pairs I've bought have been from the Air Zoom series, which doesn't seem to have any "Plus" compatible models.

Out of curiosity, is there a good place to go to find a listing of Plus compatible models? Shox are for babies.

Hey, I need WIDE shoes as well, I've gone New Balance for the past, almost five years or so.

By now most of y'all know you don't need a Nike+ shoe, any brand will do including your current one.

http://www.marware.com/cgi-bin/WebOb...Lj0vT8wsvCFOBg

http://www.shoepouch.com/
  • Reply 17 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel

...Shox are for babies.

They *are* a bit much, aren't they...
  • Reply 18 of 44
    I find New Balances last longer than Nike or Reebok. Good luck to y'all nonetheless. I have managed to resist buying an iPod for my runs, I just use a nifty little playlist of some 48kbps AAC songs on my SonyEricsson V600i.
  • Reply 19 of 44
    Here's another non-Nike Shoe option:

http://www.switcheasy.com/index.htm

Carries the transmitter when not in use; choice of colors and decorator tops!

So since I'm about to order a Nike+, and am a Wireless earphone user (Logitec Bluetooth 2), I wonder if they can both function at once. I can plug both into my Nano, and I've read that the Nike+ system is using a low voltage radio signal, not wireless or Bluetooth. But that doesn't mean they will both work at once. Anyone have experience?
  • Reply 20 of 44
    We are professional company which located in southeast of China .We specialize in exporting Nike trainer/clothing/bag , and some world popular brand product.

Having professional staffs and our own factory , we also produce according to your designative styles . We will do our best to meet your demand in the mutual benefit and concession.

Our Aim=TOP QUALITY+BEST PRICE+FAST DELIVERY+BEST SERVICE

With our enterprise aim of ?Clients First , Reputation First?, we sincerely welcome the customers at home or abroad to get in touch with us .

Any of our items meet your interest at anytime , please don?t hesitate to contact us ? Http://www.tradechinamaking.com

Photo album: http://www.ec-photo.com/czq1982

WATCH

Photo album: http://www.ec-photo.com/shoearea+watch_001/

Photo album: http://www.ec-photo.com/ shoearea+watch1/

NIKE

Photo album(AIR FORCE 1 ): http://www.ec-photo.com/shoearea+AIR+FORCE+1/

MSN:[email protected]

E-mail:[email protected]