Apple posts profit of $1 billion, sells 21 million iPods

Comments

• Reply 61 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Congrats, your prize is a slightly used Zune box.

May you have many happy hours using it.

Thanks...! .... sunilraman commences teabagging of slightly used Zune box.....
  • Reply 62 of 125
    Awwww yeahhhhhhhhhh.
  • Reply 63 of 125
    The after hours drop in price seems to have been triggered by automated buys from large funds, which drove the stock to $99 almost instantly. Then when they had eaten their fill, the buying abruptly stopped, which caused the average stock holder to panic and start selling. Others, seeing the selling, also panicked and sold, moving the price down. Tomorrow the market will start seeing the newly updated targets from Bear Sterns ($120) , Goldman Sacs ($110), UBS ($124) etc and start buying big. Options expire Friday, so this may hold the price down some. So I would expect next week to be a truer sense of the stock's new range.
  • Reply 64 of 125
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by willrob View Post

The after hours drop in price seems to have been triggered by automated buys from large funds, which drove the stock to $99 almost instantly. Then when they had eaten their fill, the buying abruptly stopped, which caused the average stock holder to panic and start selling. Others, seeing the selling, also panicked and sold, moving the price down. Tomorrow the market will start seeing the newly updated targets from Bear Sterns ($120) , Goldman Sacs ($110), UBS ($124) etc and start buying big. Options expire Friday, so this may hold the price down some. So I would expect next week to be a truer sense of the stock's new range.

One reason was the unexpectedly low forcast from Apple, which is lower than consensus estimates, and which surprised me as well.
  • Reply 65 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

This is weird. I remember last Christmas, Mac sales seeming flat after a back to school boost. And then kicking on from the 1st quarter of the New Year.

In short, perhaps it is the Leopard 'holding pattern' we've seen before.

Reasons for flat Mac sales?

1. Leopard.

2. Choice. Lack of configurable tower in the the £500-£1295 range. (IF they want PC switchers or MORE of them, then give them what they want with Apple style. There's just a gaping hole from the Mac Mini to the Mac Tower. And the iMac just does not fill it. One tower. £595- £1295 using Conroe chips. Very configurable. It may cannibilize iMac sales. But not that much, I'm guessing.)

3. A true OS advertising blitz circa Leopard.

4. A rethink on the 'cheap' Mac. I'm not sure the Mac Mini is it. No keyboard, Monitor etc.

5. iPod/Mac bundle deals. They need to leverage their star performer.

6. Business. Small and Enterprise.

7. More Mac partnerships.

8. A cheapER (But not cheap) Laptop. Keep being aggressive with prices. They've done well since the Intel transition. More choice on the Mac Book Pro. ie 12/13 inch model.

9. Virtualisation. Maybe. For legacy XP apps.

10. Offer more promotions for PC users. ie trade in yer PC for discount off Mac.

11. SHOW what the Mac can actually do in ADVERTS.

Mildly concerned about flat Mac sales. But we've been here before. ANd this is all pre-refresh circa Leopard. And, notably, with (presumably) Intel centric designs...to look forward to.

Lemon Bon Bon

YOU should work for Apple Marketing!!!

(quick, send your resume and Email this post to Jobs!)
  • Reply 66 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slashdot

Quote:

The BrownFury writes "At an invitation only event Apple has released their new MP3 player called the iPod. iPod is the size of a deck of cards. 2.4" wide by 4" tall by .78" thick 6.5 ounces. 5 GB HDD, 10 hr battery life, charged via FireWire. Works as a firewire drive as well. Works in conjunctions with iTunes 2. Here are Live updates".

No wireless. Less space than a nomad. Lame.

Features != Success. The MP3 player market failed to learn that so Apple won, now the mobile market gets their shot at it.
  • Reply 67 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

This is weird. I remember last Christmas, Mac sales seeming flat after a back to school boost. And then kicking on from the 1st quarter of the New Year.

In short, perhaps it is the Leopard 'holding pattern' we've seen before.

Reasons for flat Mac sales?

1. Leopard.

2. Choice. Lack of configurable tower in the the £500-£1295 range. (IF they want PC switchers or MORE of them, then give them what they want with Apple style. There's just a gaping hole from the Mac Mini to the Mac Tower. And the iMac just does not fill it. One tower. £595- £1295 using Conroe chips. Very configurable. It may cannibilize iMac sales. But not that much, I'm guessing.)

3. A true OS advertising blitz circa Leopard.

4. A rethink on the 'cheap' Mac. I'm not sure the Mac Mini is it. No keyboard, Monitor etc.

5. iPod/Mac bundle deals. They need to leverage their star performer.

6. Business. Small and Enterprise.

7. More Mac partnerships.

8. A cheapER (But not cheap) Laptop. Keep being aggressive with prices. They've done well since the Intel transition. More choice on the Mac Book Pro. ie 12/13 inch model.

9. Virtualisation. Maybe. For legacy XP apps.

10. Offer more promotions for PC users. ie trade in yer PC for discount off Mac.

11. SHOW what the Mac can actually do in ADVERTS.

Mildly concerned about flat Mac sales. But we've been here before. ANd this is all pre-refresh circa Leopard. And, notably, with (presumably) Intel centric designs...to look forward to.

Lemon Bon Bon

I'll throw out this observation, since I don't think it has been made yet;

IMHO, the "flat" Q-to-Q unit sales were due to pent up demand for Intel Macs. Particularly for lappies, given the existing G4 PPC prior to the Intel switch. Total unit shipments went from 1.112M to 1.610M between the 2nd and 4th quarters of last year (that was a growth of 45% in 6 months!).

I'd like to see what happens on the Mac Pro side of the fence once Photoshop is released and new Mac Pro's (hopefully Octo's would be added). I know they won't be big sellers at their price points, but are probably Apple's highest margin computer.

Should I also dust off that OLD upgradable headless Mac argument?

As I run and duck for cover!
  • Reply 68 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

Steve Jobs said this while repeatedly teabagging* a picture of Steve Ballmer. "Squirt this you frickin' loooooser...!!!!"

*http://www.theaveragegamer.com/terminology/#t

They're on the tame side of the sexual divide in the gaming world I see although I can't remember any game where you run around with a perfectly rendered meat and two veg.
  • Reply 69 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eduardo View Post

YOU should work for Apple Marketing!!!

(quick, send your resume and Email this post to Jobs!)

They seem to be doing quite well without Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 70 of 125
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by opuscroakus View Post

edit: I see below that while the Mac sales numbers look good from the last years quarter, I see that this number is fairly flat from last quarter... \

A year ago everyone was waiting for Intel to arrive.
  • Reply 71 of 125
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

They're on the tame side of the sexual divide in the gaming world I see although I can't remember any game where you run around with a perfectly rendered meat and two veg.

Yeah it's more "conceptual" in a FPS rather than "definitely visual" :: check out this tshirt:

http://www.jinx.com/scripts/details....&productID=407

• Reply 72 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

A year ago everyone was waiting for Intel to arrive.

No. SOME people were waiting for Intel but that still didn't stop Apple selling more Macs than the previous years quarter. In the last 3 years every quarter has had record sales compared with the year ago quarter.

Here's a graph of Apple's Unit sales of computers over the last 5 years...

edit: units are in 1000s btw
  • Reply 73 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

I'll throw out this observation, since I don't think it has been made yet;

IMHO, the "flat" Q-to-Q unit sales were due to pent up demand for Intel Macs. Particularly for lappies, given the existing G4 PPC prior to the Intel switch. Total unit shipments went from 1.112M to 1.610M between the 2nd and 4th quarters of last year (that was a growth of 45% in 6 months!).

I'd like to see what happens on the Mac Pro side of the fence once Photoshop is released and new Mac Pro's (hopefully Octo's would be added). I know they won't be big sellers at their price points, but are probably Apple's highest margin computer.

Should I also dust off that OLD upgradable headless Mac argument?

As I run and duck for cover!

Either Cook or Oppenheimer said, during the call, that they had two big 50 thousand each sales, during the forth quarter, which brought the numbers up unexpectedly.

So, without those, we would have seen 1.510 million sold, rather than 1.610 million.

Then we WOULD have seen a rise.
  • Reply 74 of 125
    Quote:

No. SOME people were waiting for Intel but that still didn't stop Apple selling more Macs than the previous years quarter. In the last 3 years every quarter has had record sales compared with the year ago quarter.

Good chart. Did you get that from somewhere, or did you work it up yourself?

If you did it, can I use it?

It shows that sales in the first quarter HAVE risen more than the forth quarters' sales every year in the last 5 years, EXCEPT this one, despite Apple denying it during the call.
  • Reply 75 of 125
    Quote:

Good chart. Did you get that from somewhere, or did you work it up yourself?

If you did it, can I use it?

It shows that sales in the first quarter HAVE risen more than the forth quarters' sales every year in the last 5 years, EXCEPT this one, despite Apple denying it during the call.

knocked it up myself in Pages from data from each of the financial report summaries. eg. http://images.apple.com/pr/pdf/q107data_sum.pdf

Just change the g107data_sum.pdf file name at the end and you've got data for each quarter.

Use it however you want to.
  • Reply 76 of 125
    Quote:

knocked it up myself in Pages from data from each of the financial report summaries. eg. http://images.apple.com/pr/pdf/q107data_sum.pdf

Just change the g107data_sum.pdf file name at the end and you've got data for each quarter.

Use it however you want to.

Thanks.
  • Reply 77 of 125
    Quote:

Either Cook or Oppenheimer said, during the call, that they had two big 50 thousand each sales, during the forth quarter, which brought the numbers up unexpectedly.

So, without those, we would have seen 1.510 million sold, rather than 1.610 million.

Then we WOULD have seen a rise.

Discounting the 100,000 extra in Q4, it was still a stunning quarter and Q1 2007 was stunning again. Currently they're gaining about 100,000 units every quarter which would put them way over 2 million unit sales a quarter by this time next year - Doubling their sales in 3 years. That's impressive.
  • Reply 78 of 125
    Quote:

Discounting the 100,000 extra in Q4, it was still a stunning quarter and Q1 2007 was stunning again. Currently they're gaining about 100,000 units every quarter which would put them way over 2 million unit sales a quarter by this time next year - Doubling their sales in 3 years. That's impressive.

What I keep forgetting, and they also refered to in the call, is that last year saw 14 more buying days in the quarter, which accounted for some of those sales, computers, and iPods, as well as all of Apple's other stuff, including third parties stuff in their stores.

This was talked about a great deal last year, not just for Apple of course.

If we could only figure out how to pro-rate those extra shopping days, we could come to a better set of numbers.

The problem is that sales are not equal during the quarter. It starts slowly, then speeds up, slows down again, and moves very quickly near the end.

I suppose we could average them out, and come to some approximate number.
  • Reply 79 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macshark View Post

Go AAPL! I am about to pull my first 20-bagger if the market responds positively tomorrow and Apple follows with a stock-split annoucement.

I was hoping the same thing..... didn't picture APPL dropping $5.
  • Reply 80 of 125
    Quote:

Yeah, I did the same sort of graph (as a line chart) in Excel last night. Also did (as line charts) revenues, profits, and iPods from the PR's from the Apple website.

So that when you do your chart as a line chart, you more clearly see the steepest 2-quarter rise in Apple's recent history much more clearly, which occured just prior to yesterday's so called "flat" quarter. Kinda looks like an inverted hockey stick, with the blade being the last "flat" quarter.

Next consider the following Apple product announcements (also from the Apple PR's); Intel Mac Pro (8/7/06), C2D iMac (9/6/06), C2D MacBook Pro (10/24/06), and C2D MacBook (11/08/06). Pretty much a complete product refresh of Apple's complete computer line in a 2-month time span going into the holiday buying season.

Now add to that the iPod refresh (9/12/06) and the 22M iPods sold during essentially the holiday buying season, and given the Intel switch timing (and the G4 PPC lappy situation), it seems pretty clear to me why that "hockey stick" curve with it's "flat" blade occured, the Intel switch and pent up (early) demand.

All these facts led me to my initial comment above (after reading the first 1.5 pages of this thread made me do the Excel spreedsheet, sometimes it's good (?) to be an insomniac ).