Apple COO talks about iPhone, 3G, and the Cingular partnership

Comments

• Reply 21 of 156
    Blah blah blah. Apple's getting a little ahead of themselves here -- they're soooo sure the iPhone is gonna be such a big hit. Well let me tell you something: a smartphone is not a smartphone unless it is open to 3rd party applications. Otherwise, it's just an overpriced cell phone that nobody's going to pay for, with a minor amount of eye candy that nobody cares about. Not to mention the fact that it has a virtual keyboard which is 100 times harder to type on than a real keyboard. But most importantly is the lack of 3rd party apps, and Apple's insistence that it will not open up the iPhone for 3rd party apps. Unless I can run all of my 3rd-party business apps on the iPhone that I can currently run on my Treo 650, there will be NO SALE to me nor any of my clients. I give the iPhone a BIG THUMBS DOWN.
  • Reply 22 of 156
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

I give the iPhone a BIG THUMBS DOWN.

The 3rd party apps that I have loaded on my P800 crash the phone, so I am happy about an apple certification process for 3rd party apps.
  • Reply 23 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

The 3rd party apps that I have loaded on my P800 crash the phone, so I am happy about an apple certification process for 3rd party apps.

What Apple certification process? I've talked to high-profile application developers for the Treo, and they have said that Apple is NOT letting them certify their apps at all! (At least for now.) Plus, the 3rd-party apps I have on my Treo 650 have not crashed my device: Pocket Quicken, FileMaker Pro, Vindigo, DocumentsToGo, DirAssist, CityID, several games, and more.
  • Reply 24 of 156
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Quote:

Blah blah blah. Apple's getting a little ahead of themselves here -- they're soooo sure the iPhone is gonna be such a big hit. Well let me tell you something: a smartphone is not a smartphone unless it is open to 3rd party applications. Otherwise, it's just an overpriced cell phone that nobody's going to pay for, with a minor amount of eye candy that nobody cares about. Not to mention the fact that it has a virtual keyboard which is 100 times harder to type on than a real keyboard. But most importantly is the lack of 3rd party apps, and Apple's insistence that it will not open up the iPhone for 3rd party apps. Unless I can run all of my 3rd-party business apps on the iPhone that I can currently run on my Treo 650, there will be NO SALE to me nor any of my clients. I give the iPhone a BIG THUMBS DOWN.

Wrong, you're an idiot.
  • Reply 25 of 156
    Quote:

What Apple certification process? I've talked to high-profile application developers for the Treo, and they have said that Apple is NOT letting them certify their apps at all! (At least for now.) Plus, the 3rd-party apps I have on my Treo 650 have not crashed my device: Pocket Quicken, FileMaker Pro, Vindigo, DocumentsToGo, DirAssist, CityID, several games, and more.

http://iphonespy.com/steve-jobs-clar...iphone-22.html
  • Reply 26 of 156
    From an Australian perspective (and I had thought we were ahead of the US in the mobile phone field but perhaps not):

3G - essentially we don't even have 3G GSM (I think 3 is 3G GSM but limited coverage and crap plans+lock in phones), so who cares.

Wi-fi - we barely have any (free) wi-fi hotspots either.

'Smartphone' - I don't work in the corporate world, but I've never even seen a Treo in the flesh.

3rd party apps - who cares? If the phone UI is great to begin with would you need them?!

Even though it is compared to smartphones, I think the iPhone is NOT aimed at being a smartphone, but rather a well designed and easy to use standard phone with extras + iPod.

I'd be happy to pay $500-odd for it to work simply as a 2G GSM phone + iPod that syncs effortlessly with my computer. My latest iPod nano was $219 and my RAZR was $360- that's $579 (AUD of course)! And I have no doubt after two years both will be replaced.
  • Reply 27 of 156
    "Scotty doesn't know! Scotty doesn't know!"
  • Reply 28 of 156
    wallywally Posts: 211member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

Wrong, you're an idiot.

Aggreed. Anyone who passes judgement (good or bad) without actually having used the product has no grounds for complaint. Wait til June. Go to the Apple store and check the phone out... then bitch about it.
  • Reply 29 of 156
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by starwxrwx View Post

3rd party apps - who cares? If the phone UI is great to begin with would you need them?!

That doesn't make any sense. A UI is not an app.
  • Reply 30 of 156
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

It sucks he was so nonchalant about leaving 3G out of the iPhone. The only people that seem to be okay with it are him and Steve Jobs.

I don't give a shit about wi-fi. At home, school, or work I have a goddamn computer with a broadband connection. It's when I'm not at those place is when I need the iPhone's internet.

Fucking EDGE network...

If Apple does sell 10M units through 2008, which will probably be at a 6% increase to Cingular's current subscriber base, as well many cusmters moving from a more basic plan to a data plan (me included) because there is finally a worthwhile smartphone, then I'm certain that you'll see Cingular vigorously improve the coverage of it's 3G capabilities. Plus, the iPhone definitely be 4G capable by then anyway.

How long before other networks and manufactures start collaborating for the good of the customer? How long before others offer Visual Voicemail? F@#k HSDPA at this point, relish in the paradigm shift Apple as set it motion. regardless of your phone or carrier choice, all cellphone users will benefit from Apple's iPhone.
  • Reply 31 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

That doesn't make any sense. A UI is not an app.

Sorry, that wasn't very clear. What I meant was, if the default applications and the overall user interface are as polished as they seem, what is the purpose of 3rd party apps?

If the purpose is to provide functionality beyond phone calls, text messaging and web browsing (and everything else the iPhone can do), what functions do you need? Why not call for them to be included rather than 3rd party application support?

I don't think I've ever used a phone that can load 3rd party apps (and hence I really can't comment on the whole smartphone idea - but again I don't see the iPhone as a smart phone really) but what is it people are so desperate to load on?
  • Reply 32 of 156
    I'm getting a iPhone, but I don't see how they are calling it a smartphone. It they have some type of kick ass office suite to go with it, and some other type of business apps, I would agree. But they don't have either of those for the Macs, so I doubt they do. I think the iPhone is going to be a kick ass gadget phone, nothing more, nothing less. I just don't like carrying around a cellphone and a iPod, that's why I'm getting one.
  • Reply 33 of 156
    Quote:

I've a p910. It's pretty rare that it ever crashes an app. Maybe you're trying to use p900/910 apps on your 800. They often don't work reliably.

The p990 has a certification process for apps now as part of SymbianOS 9. That crashes even more than the p800 did. Total crap.
  • Reply 34 of 156
    I just hope Apple finds it in their heart to allow Slingbox (the greatest invention ever) to function with their iPhone

OR

Apple turns the APPLE TV into a similar product... PERHAPS THE MISSING iPhone APP?

That would make Apple TV amazing and the iPHONE even more amazing. You wouldn't have to save any movies on your phone, saving all of that space for things you want to do on the airplane, like watch ONE movie or a couple episodes of a TV show, listen to an album you recently downloaded from iTUNES.
  • Reply 35 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

I've a p910. It's pretty rare that it ever crashes an app. Maybe you're trying to use p900/910 apps on your 800. They often don't work reliably.

The p990 has a certification process for apps now as part of SymbianOS 9. That crashes even more than the p800 did. Total crap.

My P800 crashes by itself about once per week - the app that I loaded that crashes every time is a MAME player for playing Pacman and Galaga.
  • Reply 36 of 156
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    I just remembered that it's this year that Google plans to build Free Wifi into San Francisco...

The sad part is, I probably won't get much use out of the iPhone's EDGE network, 3G is not a big loss for me at all.

Sebastian
  • Reply 37 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

I'm getting a iPhone, but I don't see how they are calling it a smartphone. It they have some type of kick ass office suite to go with it, and some other type of business apps, I would agree. But they don't have either of those for the Macs, so I doubt they do. I think the iPhone is going to be a kick ass gadget phone, nothing more, nothing less. I just don't like carrying around a cellphone and a iPod, that's why I'm getting one.

What business apps are you looking for???

There will be

Calendar

Contacts

e-mail (great e-mail)

browser (great browser)

And, I've said this elsewhere, with Safari on the phone you have (will have soon - its committed to) docs.google.com so you have

Word

Excel

This is more than I will need.
  • Reply 38 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

I also have to agree with this. I was very glad to see 3G NOT included as long as there was WiFi. I don't want to pay the outrageous fees for the 3G data plans, when a lot of WiFi is free, so why should I pay for the 3G hardware.

Same price here in the UK, 3G or not, although I noticed a couple of days ago when looking to switch carriers that some of them are now banning CSD from the included minutes which is slightly annoying.

Best deals at the moment are around £7.50 for unlimited data on t-mobile and 3.

I don't agree with Cook about using Wi-Fi. If I've got Wi-Fi then I've usually got my computer with me. If I've not, then I'm usually miles away from Wi-Fi with just my phone. If I'm miles away with my computer then 3G is also handy too.

But then it doesn't have Java or an ssh terminal so I can't access my servers anyway. Hmmm.
  • Reply 39 of 156
    Quote:

My P800 crashes by itself about once per week - the app that I loaded that crashes every time is a MAME player for playing Pacman and Galaga.

I've got MAME on my p910. Never crashed.
  • Reply 40 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

Same price here in the UK, 3G or not, although I noticed a couple of days ago when looking to switch carriers that some of them are now banning CSD from the included minutes which is slightly annoying.

Best deals at the moment are around £7.50 for unlimited data on t-mobile and 3.

I don't agree with Cook about using Wi-Fi. If I've got Wi-Fi then I've usually got my computer with me. If I've not, then I'm usually miles away from Wi-Fi with just my phone. If I'm miles away with my computer then 3G is also handy too.

But then it doesn't have Java or an ssh terminal so I can't access my servers anyway. Hmmm.

But then again, for the non 3G phone, we're talking about the US. Its seems everyone believes, and I agree, that the European introduction will have 3G. To me that seems like pretty good match of products to current market.