Apple delays Leopard release until October

Comments

• Reply 21 of 504
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    how often did Jobs jab at Microsoft for delaying Vista?

i agree it's better to wait for a quality product. remember OSX 10.0? sorry, you can't burn a cd.

i also agree coupons for FREE upgrades should be given out for sales after 6/11.[listening mr. Jobs?]

i hope these "top secret" features are worth the wait, and i also hope that the iPhone software isn't a bungled release pushed out the door on june 30th to meet a deadline, quickly followed by a 160 meg patch.
  • Reply 22 of 504
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Well, get on with the hardware updates already then Apple. The Mac mini has turned into an antique, we need HDCP support on the displays, better graphics hardware in general, etc. Obviously, there is no point in holding this stuff off for Leopard now.
  • Reply 23 of 504
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

how often did Jobs jab at Microsoft for delaying Vista?

i agree it's better to wait for a quality product. remember OSX 10.0? sorry, you can't burn a cd.

i also agree coupons for FREE upgrades should be given out for sales after 6/11.[listening mr. Jobs?]

i hope these "top secret" features are worth the wait, and i also hope that the iPhone software isn't a bungled release pushed out the door on june 30th to meet a deadline, quickly followed by a 160 meg patch.

It's a few months, lets not get on their tails just yet.

But, in after hours trading, it's down to $89.81.
  • Reply 24 of 504
    charkocharko Posts: 84member
    AAPL is already $2 down in extended trading!

This could be a good buying opportunity - perhaps best after the quarterly results on April 25th.

I've got no money at the moment, but I might take a small bank loan out. I did this before (2 years ago) and made a profit.
  • Reply 25 of 504
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

Well, get on with the hardware updates already then Apple. The Mac mini has turned into an antique, we need HDCP support on the displays, better graphics hardware in general, etc. Obviously, there is no point in holding this stuff off for Leopard now.

Exactly what i was thinking. Been looking for updated hardware for some time now.
  • Reply 26 of 504
    See the problem isn't that Leopard is delayed. The probelm is that people wait for Leopard before they buy their new hardware, which slows sales of said hardware and potentially these people might just go with Vista instead of waiting.

This is an absolute disaster for Apple.

I'm just laughing at Jobs for how many shots Apple has taken at M$ for delaying Vista, and now they are eating their words. Real cool Apple, real cool.
  • Reply 27 of 504
    maniamania Posts: 104member
    Glad I didn't wait. bought a mini yesterday (antique tho it may be).
  • Reply 28 of 504
    nayrbnayrb Posts: 2member
    This is just great, after several months of watching an waiting reading the forums and such. I thought I had it all planned out to get a MBP near the end of May to be inside the 30day free upgrade and that just fails now. Well to save my sanity from my crappy dell I guess I'm just waiting for the SR update now...
  • Reply 29 of 504
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Excellent news.
  • Reply 30 of 504
    dzigndzign Posts: 27member
    While I feel some deception not to have it tomorrow;

I'd rather have a better refined OS than a shoved out the door one to make some quick buck...

Standing by... ;0
  • Reply 31 of 504
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Think Secret look like a bunch off morons today - they posted this story today:

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0704leopard9a410.html

"Think Secret recently learned that Apple is now targeting a release date for Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard of June 11, the same day Apple's Worldwide Developer's Conference kicks off."
  • Reply 32 of 504
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

So I guess those 3 dozen bugs wasn't so easy to fix after all.

Nah. It's the extra secret features that need time to be given to developers to test.

I do recall finding this poll about releasing on WWDC to be impossible. Differentiate between PR and fact and one would discover that the best one would get @WWDC was going to be a feature complete beta.

As many have pointed out developers need time to augment their products.
  • Reply 33 of 504
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    I for one would rather have a good stable & usable release then a rush job. 10.4.9 is fine. Like one other user said.."remeber version 10? " blaah!
  • Reply 34 of 504
    I am sick to death of the iPhone, and it's not even out yet. We can blame it now for the delay of Leopard and resulting hardware sales declines, not to mention the artificial withholding of a widescreen iPod. All for something that customers of only ONE cell phone company in ONE country can take advantage of.

Didn't I JUST read that Mac sales were slowed this quarter because everyone is waiting for Leopard?

Save face, Apple... provide a free upgrade to Leopard for anyone who buys a new Mac after WWDC. Otherwise, you deserve major ridicule and scorn from Bill Gates and every Windows fanboy for all the Vista delay jabs.
  • Reply 34 of 504
    Apple eats crow.
  • Reply 36 of 504
    I don't care about the damn iPhone! I am a Mac user and have been longing for Leopard. I am not going to pay $500 to get a stupid phone with a 2-year contract! It's just a toy for kids! But Leopard would be the real thing, for adults! Now, you sacrifice it for a phone, you...

I am so frustrated at the moment. xxxxxxx iPhone!!!
  • Reply 37 of 504
    maniamania Posts: 104member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by the cool gut View Post

Think Secret look like a bunch off morons today - they posted this story today:

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0704leopard9a410.html

"Think Secret recently learned that Apple is now targeting a release date for Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard of June 11, the same day Apple's Worldwide Developer's Conference kicks off."

Yeah maybe they should rename the site: Think Again
  • Reply 38 of 504
    bacillusbacillus Posts: 313member
    Wow...just wow.
  • Reply 39 of 504
    Well they have me really really really wanting to know what those new features are. I'm in no rush to get the new OS, Tiger is working fine for me. I hope they take their time, so we can get a OS without a lot of bugs.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Nah. It's the extra secret features that need time to be given to developers to test.

I do recall finding this poll about releasing on WWDC to be impossible. Differentiate between PR and fact and one would discover that the best one would get @WWDC was going to be a feature complete beta.

As many have pointed out developers need time to augment their products.

• Reply 40 of 504
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacSuperiority View Post

See the problem isn't that Leopard is delayed. The probelm is that people wait for Leopard before they buy their new hardware, which slows sales of said hardware and potentially these people might just go with Vista instead of waiting.

This is an absolute disaster for Apple.

I'm just laughing at Jobs for how many shots Apple has taken at M$ for delaying Vista, and now they are eating their words. Real cool Apple, real cool.

You are an idiot!