VT Shooting

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Yes I know there is a thread in PO already. That one degenerated in record time so I'm starting one here without the soapbox.

I graduated from VT as did my wife and of course many of our friends. My wife picked me up at work and had no idea because she's busy at home with the three year old and the two week old. I told her what happened and when I got back from the park with the three year old she had been crying watching the coverage.

They (VT) called me last Friday to renew the annual gift that we give each year. They have students do the calls they chat with you for a little bit and then ask for more money and can you give $XXX this year. I hope the two students I talked to are okay. I'm going to find out if they have a special fund for this tragedy and give as much to that if not more.

I lived on a different side of campus from the dorm' where the shooting was. Where I lived isn't dorms anymore. I had one class in the hall attached to the one where most of the shootings took place.

What a loss for the friends and families. I don't have a lot of words for that.

What a blow to the university. I hope it can recover from the label that will be put on it. It's been sliding in the rankings since I left and I don't want it to fall off the map because of this. Obviously applications will fall. I guess I'm saying the university has wounds too.

Very tragic and saddening.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    One of my friends is a current student, and thankfully was nowhere near the mayhem. Needless to say many of us were very concerned there for a while.

It's tragic. I'll never understand the mentality of a person who feels the need to go on a rampage before committing suicide. It's beyond cowardly; beyond evil.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Another sad chapter in our cultural history.

Every time an incident like this happens, I ask myself why? Another person goes off the deep end, their hurt, their hatred, and the hurt they inflict on others!
  • Reply 3 of 4
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Israeli professor killed in US attack

Quote:

As Jews worldwide honored on Monday the memory of those who were murdered in the Holocaust, a 76-year-old survivor sacrificed his life to save his students in Monday's shooting at Virginia Tech College that left 33 dead and over two dozen wounded.

Professor Liviu Librescu, 76, threw himself in front of the shooter when the man attempted to enter his classroom. The Israeli mechanics and engineering lecturer was shot to death, "but all the students lived - because of him," Virginia Tech student Asael Arad - also an Israeli - told Army Radio.

Several of Librescu's other students sent e-mails to his wife, Marlena, telling of how he had blocked the gunman's way and saved their lives, said Librescu's son, Joe.

"My father blocked the doorway with his body and asked the students to flee," Joe Librescu said in a telephone interview from his home outside of Tel Aviv. "Students started opening windows and jumping out."

Wow.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    I checked the list of faculty today and don't know any of them. Never had a class with them. Some world class faculty were lost.