Virginia Tech killing: more than 30 dead

Comments

• @_@ artman@_@ artman Posts: 5,231member
    Where Were the Men? - Nathanael Blake - Humanevents.com

"Something is clearly wrong with the men in our culture. Among the first rules of manliness are fighting bad guys and protecting others: in a word, courage. And not a one of the healthy young fellows in the classrooms seems to have done that."

Why isn't college grad Nathanael Blake in Iraq?
  • vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

Where Were the Men? - Nathaniel Blake, Think Progress

"Something is clearly wrong with the men in our culture. Among the first rules of manliness are fighting bad guys and protecting others: in a word, courage. And not a one of the healthy young fellows in the classrooms seems to have done that."

Derbyshire and Blake are typical of chickenhawks. Brave in print and policy with other people's lives. Quick to condemn.

I'm sure there was bravery as well as confusion that day.

Vinea
  • SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 24,938member
    Incidentally, your right to bear arms protects you from an out of control government. Something the founders of this country were wise enough to foresee.

Despite my position on this issue, like most of you, I am very sad for the students at VT today.
  • tontontonton Posts: 14,064member
    You MUST look at the gun control issue from a statistical perspective.

Although those who are trained in responsible use of firearms for self-defence might have a better survival chance if they are allowed to own a gun, the GENERAL POPULATION will have a much higher death rate.

You who are fighting for gun rights are doing so at the expense of the rest of the public.

The more guns there are out there, the more innocent people will die. Period.

And please please PLEASE begin to take just 10 of your IQ points to understand the CONTEXT of the Second Amendment, and why in that context (defense against an oppressive government) it is obsolete, and should be repealed.
  • el capitanel capitan Posts: 68member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Incidentally, your right to bear arms protects you from an out of control government. Something the founders of this country were wise enough to foresee.

Despite my position on this issue, like most of you, I am very sad for the students at VT today.

There are far more effective measures in this country to protect against that than a gun owned by a citizen (which wouldn't do anything and obviously isn't the reason people own and allowed to own guns today anyways)

48 Hours just had a good quote... Guns have a single purpose, to kill. They do one thing, kill.
  • franksargentfranksargent Posts: 4,694member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Good read on CNN about gun control and polticians and why, sadly, this won't changed things.

Pro Gunners vote the issue

Anti Gunners don't vote the issue

Who is more fanatic? (loaded question)

You mean Gun control unlikely to get on agenda despite shootings?

Unfortunately, sad but true! I'd guess you all would call the USA a WESTERN democracy!

Crime in the United States

List of countries by homicide rate
  • 100mph100mph Posts: 256member
    No guns = no problems.

Seems pretty obvious.

As far as your "right to bear arms", I personally don't give a $hit. Stick your f-n guns in your f-n a$$e$, and pull your f-n triggers. Second amendment was making sense centuries ago. Nowadays your personal guns are no help against government. Our government will vaporize anything and anyone standing on the way of powerful lobbies with a click of a button. So, quit this BS, and EVOLVE, you f-n Neanderthals!

Wants to hunt or fish, get Nintendo WII.

• jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 100mph View Post

As far as your "right to bear arms", I personally don't give a $hit. Stick your f-n guns in your f-n a$$e$, and pull your f-n triggers. So, quit this BS, and EVOLVE, you f-n Neanderthals!

Uh oh. Bad words. He must be serious.

I hope 911 helps you in time if you are ever attacked. I doubt it.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

The more guns there are out there, the more innocent people will die. Period.

The fewer guns that are out there in the hands of law abiding victims, the more innocent people will die.

Do all of you think that criminals are going to give up their guns because "you say so"? Get a GRIP.
    And furthermore 100mph, I'm sorry that you don't like the Bill of Rights, or at least part of it. Tough toenails. It is there, it is the law of the land. It is a limit on government intrusion into our lives, just like the other 9 amendments. I will resist, as should you, the taking of ANY of our enumerated rights... would you make this argument for the first amendment just because it can be used improperly?

These rights are not granted by government, they are inherent and God given. You, nor anyone else, has the right to take what you did not give in the first place. That, my friend, is tyranny.
  • shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jubelum View Post

These rights are not granted by government, they are inherent and God given.

That's a little much--

God given right to own a gun.
  • bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Quote:

Uh oh. Bad words. He must be serious.

I hope 911 helps you in time if you are ever attacked. I doubt it.

What is your big fear in life? I mean, you sound somewhat paranoid. When I was in the States, I was close friends with a law enforcement officer; it was his job to deal with situations every day that you and I probably can't even dream of. His biggest fear was getting shot by some armed citizen trying to take the law into his own hands, NOT by the criminal he was chasing.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

That's a little much--

God given right to own a gun.

Didn't you know that God is a proud member of the NRA? Why, he's the biggest shooter of 'em all! Jesus wasn't which is why he had a little more difficulty on Earth.

First it was to protect us from the gov't; now it was a right bequeathed unto us by God.

Someone is really reaching now.
    Quote:

What is your big fear in life? I mean, you sound somewhat paranoid. When I was in the States, I was close friends with a law enforcement officer; it was his job to deal with situations every day that you and I probably can't even dream of. His biggest fear was getting shot by some armed citizen trying to take the law into his own hands, NOT by the criminal he was chasing.

If you were paying attention, I mentioned many posts ago that MY GUN saved MY LIFE and that of MY FAMILY at the hands of a violent, drug-addicted felon on parole. That piece of inanimate metal that all of you gleefully want to take away from me was the difference between LIFE and DEATH. THAT is something that changes your perspective, my friend. I have a concealed carry license in Texas and exercised my right to carry... and it STOPPED A CRIME. As such, I will never surrender my right and will fight as hard as I can so that others are not denied the same right which made sure my family remained intact.

I understand that LEOs have issues with some things. Most of them are split right down the middle on the issue of concealed firearms. I spend more time at the range than most of my local cops, beat them handily in scoring, and have even trained a few personally. Getting a concealed handgun license requires hours of training, testing, and legal education to obtain. If you get caught carrying without a license in Texas, it is already a felony.
    Quote:

You, nor anyone else, has the right to take what you did not give in the first place. That, my friend, is tyranny.

NEITHER you nor anyone else...

Otherwise I could pull a big one and read a new meaning into your message (like people have done to many messages on these boards):

You, 100mph, not anyone else, have the right to take what you did not give in the first place.

---

Cheers, 100mph, and have a nice day!
  • segoviussegovius Posts: 9,872member
    Quote:

The fewer guns that are out there in the hands of law abiding victims, the more innocent people will die.

Strange - right-wingers use this argument for guns all the time but deny the exact same argument as pertaining to nuclear proliferation.

Their mindset really is - as Mr Spock would say - 'fascinating'.
    You wail about Bush taking rights from people, and now you want to take rights (self defense) from others. Shoe on the other foot now, eh?

May you all be wiretapped, jailed without cause, silenced politically and not allowed a trial. Wow, this killing off the Bill of Rights is FUN!

You see, this is why I can't stand most of your liberal and neocon crap around here. Not many of you care about our freedoms, just the ones you cherry-pick that make your world view seem more valid. Bush guts the BoR, and you scream. Now you want to repeal an entire Amendment.

What stunning hypocrisy.

The only difference between the Dems and Republicans is which rights they want to limit, and which they want to protect. Hows about we all work together, and protect EVERYONE's rights?
    Quote:

NEITHER you nor anyone else...

Otherwise I could pull a big one and read a new meaning into your message (like people have done to many messages on these boards):

You, 100mph, not anyone else, have the right to take what you did not give in the first place.

---

Cheers, 100mph, and have a nice day!

... you're grasping.
    Wow. A true leader in the making.

Amendments are just that: changes to an original. If the original needed changing, why can the changes not warrant changing?
    Quote:

Wow. A true leader in the making.

Amendments are just that: changes to an original. If the original needed chaning, whhy can the changes not warrant changing?

I agree. Let's go ahead and take care of that pesky freedom of the press and right to assemble as well. And that privacy thing too- we need traveling papers and door to door searches for banned items. Finally we can end abortion because there will be no privacy rights. And we can also save millions in courts by getting rid of trials and the judicial process.

Get right on that. I'll await your report.

"no, but...."