Converting movies for Apple TV using Roxio Crunch (an in-depth review)

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by parky View Post

Seems like a waste of money to me!

For those of us with more technical knowledge you are correct, it is. However, as others have said it all adds up to another company advertising and spreading the word about Apple products in the market place (in the same way 3rd party products have for iPod) which can only be good for AAPL. May there be many more such offerings to come.
  • Reply 22 of 36
    pfcurtispfcurtis Posts: 7member
    I want to thank Apple Insider for saving me $50.

I use both Apple and Windows PC's and all my video and audio files are stored on the PC. I have Handbrake and Visualhub on the Mac but do not have the equivalents, that have Apple TV presets, on the PC.

That is, until I read this article and find that Quicktime Player has many the functions built in using the Export options. Unfortunately, like Crunch, I cannot tell what the file specs are until the file conversion is complete!
  • Reply 23 of 36
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Instead of releasing a separate program, Roxio should have just updated Popcorn with the new AppleTV export profiles.
  • Reply 24 of 36
    astroastro Posts: 22member
    so i read through the first page of this article, and decided clearly as the author has that this is a useless piece of software that already exists, just thrown into the market with a different name.

so that said, i'm not so sure why we got more than one page on this "tool." go get the free stuff, it all works, and better than this.

honestly, i wouldn't even download this for free based on the first page of this article. what a waste of time writing the three pages or however long this is.

these are clear signs that the rumour mill has dried up and there is a lack of interesting stuff to write about. *sigh*
  • Reply 25 of 36
    According to this article, the price is $39.95 and it will work on Mac and Windows:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/macworld/200...unch20070508_0
  • Reply 26 of 36
    The Roxio web site does not mention Windows:

http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/cr.../overview.html
  • Reply 27 of 36
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Instead of releasing a separate program, Roxio should have just updated Popcorn with the new AppleTV export profiles.

Yep, though at least since the Sonic acquisition they certainly don't have a positive track record of doing things that make sense and are fairer to both new and existing customers.
  • Reply 28 of 36
    Roxio Releases Essential Video Converter for Apple TV

Roxio Crunch Provides Effective Way to Enjoy Computer-Based Personal Video in the Living Room and On-the-Go

Santa Clara, California (May 8, 2007) ? Roxio®, a division of Sonic Solutions® (NASDAQ: SNIC), today released Roxio Crunch?, a software application for quickly and easily converting computer-based video entertainment for viewing in the living room through Apple TV?. Supporting a broad range of personal video content including DVD-Video, MPEG-1, MPEG-2 and DivX files, Roxio Crunch uses powerful compression technologies and straightforward settings to format video for optimal playback enjoyment. In addition to converting files for Apple TV, Roxio Crunch also enables consumers to view their favorite content on the road with predefined options for output to iPod® and the soon to be released iPhone?. The latest addition to Sonic?s Roxio-branded consumer product line, Roxio Crunch for Mac OS X is available today at www.roxio.com. A dual-platform Mac and Microsoft Windows version will be available at retail stores later this quarter.

"Apple TV, iPod and iPhone are part of a new wave of devices that provide consumers with a broader range of options for how and where they enjoy their personal entertainment" said Vito Salvaggio, vice president, Mac Business Unit, Sonic Solutions. "We are pleased to offer consumers an easy way for enjoying all their video content on these exciting new Apple devices."

Roxio Crunch provides the following features:

Converts native QuickTime file formats, such as DV, AVI, MOV, and MPEG-4

Converts non-QuickTime file formats, such as MPEG-2 and DivX

Converts DVD movies and discs created with Toast, iDVD, DVD Studio Pro, and other DVD authoring applications

Offers multiple MPEG-4 and H.264 quality settings tailored for use with Apple TV, iPod, or iPhone

Automatically adds converted video to iTunes library for easy syncing with Apple devices

Includes batch video file conversion
  • Reply 29 of 36
    palex9palex9 Posts: 105member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rebel_without_a_pc View Post

I'm an MCSE (I know, I know) MacBook owner, Apple enthusiast and Apple shareholder. I've been reading Appleinsider daily for over 3 years. I found this article and its discussion extremely helpful. It gives a terrific overview of the concerns of enthusiasts and non-professional users should know about working with video on the Mac. It saved me lots of trial and error and answered a lot of questions that I had, and it was exactly what I needed. This article relates to Apple because Roxio is committing to Apple's ecosystem and thier investment increases my confidence in Apples' media platform. This is important because there will be lots of competition with these types of devices and software. Thats my 2 cents.

hello? yes, it is legitamate to write articles comparing products, but not on a rumor site. and so what roxio is commiting to to apple? like others seeing it the same way as me, appleinsider is not the place we come to to read multipage reviews (if at all) of something that could be dealt with in one page or less.

what next, 4 page articles on screenshot programs, a tutorial on digital imageing? please.....
  • Reply 30 of 36
    audiopollutionaudiopollution Posts: 3,226member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palex9 View Post

hello? yes, it is legitamate to write articles comparing products, but not on a rumor site. and so what roxio is commiting to to apple? like others seeing it the same way as me, appleinsider is not the place we come to to read multipage reviews (if at all) of something that could be dealt with in one page or less.

what next, 4 page articles on screenshot programs, a tutorial on digital imageing? please.....

What part of 'Apple Insider News and Rumors' don't you understand?

You'd best get used to the expanded editorial content.
  • Reply 31 of 36
    caliminiuscaliminius Posts: 944member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

FYI: The author of this detailed article is Daniel Eran Dilger, the founder and author of well written and researched Roughly Drafted articles.

Having read a few of those Roughly Drafted articles, that makes this review mean even less to me. They take the concept of being a Mac zealot to an all new level. After the mandatory attack on Microsoft, often for no apparent reason other than dislike of the company, you get to the real article. The article consists of a set of carefully chosen facts that either paint Apple in best possible light or that completely support the article's opinion on that matter. Contrary opinions are quickly discarded, usually for not too convincing reasons. They may indead be well written and researched, but they barely worth reading regardless.
  • Reply 32 of 36
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Yeah, the relentless attacking tone in many Roughly Drafted articles is distracting and tiresome. And Daniel often seems eager to dismiss well-reasoned viewpoints other than his own.
  • Reply 33 of 36
    well i got a copy free from a torrent tracker and im very happy with the price....f*ck all! Outstanding value!
  • Reply 34 of 36
    I'd call this a preview, not a review.

You don't discuss the quality of the translation to TiVO-compatible format, or how it compares in quality and execution to its main competitor, VisualHub ... which costs less than half as much.
  • Reply 35 of 36
    squall58squall58 Posts: 29member
    it is to long for me to see this article~and takes me 30mins

Quote:

If all these conversions can be done for free, where does that leave Crunch? The product's main focus is accomplishing a task QuickTime can not do: convert DVDs for playback on Apple TV. (see: Apple TV: Using DVDs and other Video Sources.) Because of DVD licensing and DRM restrictions, commercial applications can not legally rip DVD movies. Neither iTunes nor QuickTime offers any ability to read a DVD movie and convert it for use on the Apple TV or iPods. How does Crunch manage to do this?

for me to solve this a problem, i choose Imtoo dvd to iPod converter,i know it is not right to talk about that, but i think it is not wrong in law~
  • Reply 36 of 36
    lastdaylastday Posts: 1member
    I use MelodyCan. It is the best, easiest and fastest converter i found. You can try it)